Who do you consider the blue bloods of the NFL?

Bolts223

In college football and basketball people like to use the term blue blood to describe the premier programs in the country. In the case of football you think of schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, etc.

Who do you consider to be the blue bloods of the NFL?

10 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

In college football and basketball people like to use the term blue blood to describe the premier programs in the country. In the case of football you think of schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, etc.

Who do you consider to be the blue bloods of the NFL?

New England is the only one in this discussion if you're looking for long term consistency IMO.

I don’t think that’s the best definition of blue blood. It’s more accurately, imo, the teams that have been good for most of the sport’s past and thus are “seen” today as the premiere teams (regardless of all other factors, including today’s success).

The Bears and the Packers are in tier 1. Tier 2 probably has the Steelers and Cowboys.

18 minutes ago, Dome said:

New England is the only one in this discussion if you're looking for long term consistency IMO.

Yes. There string of success from 2001 on negates the fact that prior to that they were 0-2 in 2 Super Bowls over a 30 year span...

Green Bay, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, San Fransisco and New England are the blue blood organizations, though I'm a bit hesitant on New England due to the recency of their success. The other three in the Champions Wing of the Hall of Fame (Indy, Washington, and I forget who) are also considerable.

You could also argue all-time original franchises like Chicago but, honestly, what have they accomplished since like the 50s other than the 85 season?

5 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Yes. There string of success from 2001 on negates the fact that prior to that they were 0-2 in 2 Super Bowls over a 30 year span...

Green Bay, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, San Fransisco and New England are the blue blood organizations, though I'm a bit hesitant on New England due to the recency of their success. The other three in the Champions Wing of the Hall of Fame (Indy, Washington, and I forget who) are also considerable.

You could also argue all-time original franchises like Chicago but, honestly, what have they accomplished since like the 50s other than the 85 season?

I guess I’m going with a different definition than you, I’m looking more recent where 2 decades is “long term”... that’s when I really started watching. I definitely don’t disagree with anything you said about the other franchises....

other than I don’t really think you can deny New England’s success because it’s recent when it’s been far more dominant than anything we’ve seen. 

31 minutes ago, FinSting said:

It's not open for debate, it's cold, hard W-L facts:

1. Cowboys

2. Packers

3. Bears

4. Dolphins

5. Patriots

If your team is not represented above, it's because they've lost too many games in their franchise history. Sorry. 

Only a dolphins fan would put them that high. Sorry.

There are only a few truly iconic franchises, and most of them have been named.

But the Raiders are just as iconic as any of these, and if the Cowboys are being included when they haven't been relevant in over 20 years then the Raiders should too.

So are we talking about who actually wins or who are the marquee franchises?

Archived