NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

On 11/27/2018 at 12:04 PM, BayRaider said:

Anyone think the Browns can overcome the odds of Hue Jackson and win out? They are clearly better the #6 team in the AFC and better than the Titans, Colts, Bengals, and Ravens. Hue Jackson dug them a pretty deep hole though. If they win out and go 9-6-1 they have a 65% of making the playoffs. If they go 8-7-1 they have about a 7% shot. 

So can we officially retire this nonsense?

22 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Grigson era was dark times for the Colts. Ballard is so much better.

That's Baalke level badness.  Baalke's 2012 - 2014 drafts were horrific. The 2012 draft was completely gone from the roster midway through 2014 I believe. 2013 did produce a couple of solid starters and a few people that made it through their rookie contracts, but none that lasted beyond that (well, technically we gave Vance a contract extension, but then promptly traded him before he played a game under the new deal lol). 2014 was pretty much the same with a couple of guys playing out their rookie deals (Carlos Hyde, Aaron Lynch, Dontae Johnson), but none of them got extensions. First round pick Jimmie Ward is still on the team under his fifth year option, but nobody expects him back that year. 

So it's very possible from 2012-2014, we didn't draft a single guy that played longer than their rookie deal. 

**edit - was actually really intrigued by this, so wanted to research it**

From the 2012 - 2014 NFL drafts, the 49ers managed to procure 4 players who stayed on longer than their initial rookie deals. Tank Carradine got a minimal 1 year extension and then was gone. Quinton Dial got a 3 year deal, however only saw one year and then was gone. Reid and Ward both stayed through their 1st round options. So if you don't count the first round options as part of the initial rookie contract for first rounders, we got 4 players over that time period who were here longer than their rookie contract. If you do count the option year as part of the rookie deal (which you probably should), we had 2 make it an extra year after their rookie deal. Over that 3 year stretch, we had 30, yes 30, draft picks. So 2 picks out of 30 got contract extensions of some sort, and both were only for a year. Those 30 draft picks included 11 picks in the first 3 rounds. 

3 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

not sure anymore if a team is supposed to stand the hell up after they have won, are currently getting blown out, are underdogs in a big game, or have lost 

Sit the hell down! Gb lost a hero today. You pig. 

Edited by El ramster

8 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

agreed

which is why i think theres only a 50 percent chance NE goes to the super bowl

This is going to be the greatest test of the Brady/Belichick mystique.

The Pats are not playing with a stacked deck unlike past year and they have an older team.

Just now, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I heart Josh Allen

I was big on him after his sophomore year, pulled way off him after his junior season because of how bad he was. Still like his upside. 

He's having a very Josh Allen-ey season. It's kind of funny. Like, when you think of Josh Allen, you kind of think exactly what he has done so far this year (accuracy, long ball, running, etc etc etc). But I think that this is a good thing for the Bills. Given he's working with what is likely the worst overall offense with regards to line + skill players in the NFL, for him not to be completely buried I think is a victory, even if a lot of that value is being derived from his legs, which is not something that I would want moving forward.  I do look forward to him with a competent offense around him. Not sure that he'll ever be consistent enough to be truly great, but he's got it in him to be great for stretches of time. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was big on him after his sophomore year, pulled way off him after his junior season because of how bad he was. Still like his upside. 

He's having a very Josh Allen-ey season. It's kind of funny. Like, when you think of Josh Allen, you kind of think exactly what he has done so far this year (accuracy, long ball, running, etc etc etc). But I think that this is a good thing for the Bills. Given he's working with what is likely the worst overall offense with regards to line + skill players in the NFL, for him not to be completely buried I think is a victory, even if a lot of that value is being derived from his legs, which is not something that I would want moving forward.  I do look forward to him with a competent offense around him. Not sure that he'll ever be consistent enough to be truly great, but he's got it in him to be great for stretches of time. 

I have full belief in him tbh. He has an average at best offensive line, and one decent skill position player (Zay Jones of all people). Literally that’s it. Shady is washed, KB is the worst player i have ever seen, and everything else is toothpicks and shoe laces. He’s a one man show right now. Sure he has his mistakes, but i obviously expected that part. I don’t like him running this much but the nice part is he’s being smart about it and getting out of bounds or sliding. It’s another dimension to his game that could help his passing attack down the road. The kid literally has NOTHING around him.

• Like 1