NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

Kelvin Benjamin's stats:

11 games, 21 catches, 334 yards, 1 TD (36.2%!!! catch rate, worst in the NFL).  Not to mention all the INTs caused and drops by him.  That doesn't include the 2 catches for 20 yards by him today, tbf.

Edited by iknowcool

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Kelvin Benjamin's stats:

11 games, 21 catches, 334 yards, 1 TD (36.2%!!! catch rate, worst in the NFL).  Not to mention all the INTs caused and drops by him.  That doesn't include the 2 catches for 20 yards by him today, tbf.

He’s worthless. And he’s had 3 would be touchdowns fall right out of his hands that i can vividly remember. Two of which were jump balls which are supposedly his strength. The other was a gimme slant route he dropped at the goal line. 

What a weird year for rookie QBs. Baker is easily the best of the bunch, but he is definitely not setting the league on fire. Darnold looks horrible and then has been injured for 3 weeks. Allen looks like a guy who played for Wyoming, but has had some really nice "wow" plays. Rosen though has been the most interesting. His statlines are consistently hilarious. These are his last 4 games:

11/26, 149 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 5.73 YPA

12/19, 105 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 5.53 YPA

9/20, 136 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, 6.8 YPA

22/39, 208 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 5.33 YPA

He has yet to throw for more than 252 yards in a game and has only one game where he has averaged more than 7 yards per attempt. I've been lucky enough to not see any Cardinals games this year, so someone is going to have to explain to me what the offense looks like for a quarterback to consistently put up statlines like this.

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Kelvin Benjamin's stats:

But I was assured by him that Cam Newton was the problem with his production.

• Like 1

Josh Allen had 135 yards rushing yesterday, he was driving the Fins crazy. Get him almost sacked, looks like the play is over, boom he runs for 35 yards instead. 

Of course, lots of QB's run when they are rookies. After a few solid hits, they don't run so much after that. 

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

What a weird year for rookie QBs. Baker is easily the best of the bunch, but he is definitely not setting the league on fire. Darnold looks horrible and then has been injured for 3 weeks. Allen looks like a guy who played for Wyoming, but has had some really nice "wow" plays. Rosen though has been the most interesting. His statlines are consistently hilarious. These are his last 4 games:

He has yet to throw for more than 252 yards in a game and has only one game where he has averaged more than 7 yards per attempt. I've been lucky enough to not see any Cardinals games this year, so someone is going to have to explain to me what the offense looks like for a quarterback to consistently put up statlines like this.

If you follow the Cards' games and you follow DVOA - they literally have 1 guy who should probably be starting on an OL (Pugh, who's on IR), and 1 guy who even makes a top 15 team's top 8 (rookie C).   It's just the typical rookie learning curve....on top of truly horrid OL play.    The other part - OC Mike McCoy has been canned, but you can't replace his terrible system with a new one in-season.  It takes too long.  New OC Byron Leftwich is trying to piecemeal it, but it's a patch job at best.   None of which absolves Rosen when he makes typical rookie mistakes.

A better surrogate sign is that David Johnson, although healthy, can't even come close to his 2016 #'s.  That's all on the OL & McCoy's OMG-bad scheme, that can't be simply overhauled in-season.

Look at Jared Goff's rookie season - you'll see similar statlines...with a much better OL (but the absolute worst HC ever in Jeff Fisher lol).  It's why GM's hate starting rookies.  Baker's just had the fortune of playing with the most complete O (although it's not like he's chopped liver - but get the best OL, run game and weapons on O - you'll get better results).

Side note - there's no link yet, but Josh Allen apparently had 814 yards in distance travelled yesterday dropping back to pass and running for his life vs. MIA (NFL Network put that line up last night - hoping to get a link from NFL NextGen stats today to confirm).  That's RIDICULOUS.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Allen looks legit. He consistantly our plays his stat line as well for what it’s worth. 

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Allen looks legit. He consistantly our plays his stat line as well for what it’s worth. 

From what I have seen, I agree. And the talent around him on offense is absolute garbage. I think even Darnold and Rosen have more to work with than Allen does.