Week 4: VIKINGS (1-1-1) at Rams (3-0)

swede700

Who will pass for more yards in this game?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will pass for more yards in this game?

One of the biggest problems the team has is not having that tweener OLB that can cover.  Even if Barr plays better, he still struggles in coverage.  The Rams exploited this and other teams will as well.  I also have no idea why Sendejo keeps starting.

I think I need to reiterate that its the ultimate team sport. Yes, the QB has the greatest impact; however, the TEAM functioning’s as ONE most accurately depicts success. 

Kitk losing his fumbles, partially on him.

OL - Compton, Remmers, terrible; other Week-Line undecided at this time....guess not great. 

Running: RBs with lack of run blocking = one dimension....blah, blah, blah...

if, if, if....

25 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

It's not exactly Kirk's fault that he has been the most pressurized QB in the league so far.....that freaking leads to fumbles..especially when you have pressure from blind side.

Still have to have pocket awareness. It's a skill QB's need to have. If you know your O-Line is bad, you can't be double clutching in the pocket (which lead to Kirk's fumble to end the game tonight). You have to either tuck the ball or get rid of it. You also can't hold on to the ball for 6 seconds in which he was guilty of doing last week.

Case did VERY well under pressure last year with a maybe very slightly better offensive line so it's very possible to do.

It'll never be Kirk's strong suit but he needs to hold onto that ball. He's being paid to do so now. No more franchise tag excuses. He wanted to be paid like a top QB, he got it. Now it's time to not turn the ball over like a top QB and keep playing like a QB on pace for 5,500 and 40.

Woah guys! Sounds like the Raider forums. The blaming of the QB when the rest of the team faulted. Kirk put up a very impressive performance but the defense couldn’t hold anything down easy rushing yards. Wide open receivers. A lot of blame to go around including the OL.   The defense let the team down and was a sad sight. I was rooting for you guys and thought the comeback was happening.   Good luck to you guys. Hope your defense can put it together.    —signed 

An extremely disappointed Raiders fan rooting for other teams because mine sucks.

Cousins is on pace for 5500 passing yards, which would be an NFL record.

He has 2 INTs this year -- both of which hit his receivers in the hands (Treadwell, Murray). 

He has 4 fumbles (3 lost) on 202 dropbacks (189 passes + 13 sacks, excluding scrambles). 4 total fumbles is ~2%.

In 2015, Bridgewater had 8 fumbles on 491 dropbacks (447 passes + 44 sacks). That's 1.63%. If Cousins was holding onto the ball as well as 2015 Teddy, he'd have 3 fumbles instead of 4. Huge difference. 

Cousins is averaging 50 dropbacks per game. The Vikings running backs combined have 59 carries in 4 games.

Including his 12 run plays, Cousins' turnover rate is 2.3% (5/214). Since Cook lost a fumble in week one, the Vikings RBs collectively have a turnover rate of 1.7% (1/59) on run plays. Another huge difference.  

Of course Cousins has been involved in almost all the negative plays the Vikings have had this year on offense. They don't have an offense otherwise, the games have been entirely in his hands. There's zero run game -- Cook averaged 2 yards per carry tonight. The defense can hardly produce a stop let alone a turnover. Special teams have been completely mediocre. They've been playing catch up for basically all game the last 3 weeks. 

Fair to say the offense was a big part of the problem in the Bills game (though even that was more on the OL than the QB). But tonight? 

The defense was terrible. The Rams were great, especially Goff, but the Vikings defense was terrible. No QB is going to win games on the road when the defense allows 38 points and 550 yards. 

Blaming Cousins for the loss tonight is insane. He was the only reason they were even in the game at the end. 

I turned the game off in the middle of the 3rd quarter.  I'm surprised, somewhat, that the Vikings were in it until the end.  Yet, a Cousins led Vikings team seems to have the same issues as a Cousins led Washington team.  Great quarterback statistics...yet, there remains something about his game that doesn't lead me to have confidence in the Vikings making the playoffs.  I know it's not Cousins alone who loses games, but...still there is something about him.  Maybe it's his lack of pocket awareness at crucial times in the game, or maybe it's just that on the football field he has terrible luck (not a serious comment!)  I don't know what it is...but, I'm not surprised.

What I did see in the game was that the running game was non-existent...again.  Pass protection was horrid.  Play calling on both sides of the ball was pretty abysmal....in the part of the game I watched which was from the middle of the 2nd quarter to the middle of the 3rd.

It's not even blaming Cousins. He was very good. Great, even. But giving a guy an 84 million dollar guaranteed contract hamstrings your ability to put an offensive line in front of him that can protect him and block for running backs.

The defense was atrocious, no doubt about that. But we are seeing a disturbing trend of Cousins' line getting him pressured, hit, and strip-sacked or intercepted (Clay Matthews). 

If we can't keep him clean when the game is on the line, then this will continue. 

Oh yeah, we rushed for 54 yards. In an NFL game. Cousins had 28 of that. 

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

As soon as the Vikings aren't leading in a game it seems like Defalipio abandons the run and starts calling pass plays. He has very little patience with running the ball.

i would too if i was calling the plays. can't rely on (or force) a run game that is getting you 2-3 yards per carry.

36 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

As soon as the Vikings aren't leading in a game it seems like Defalipio abandons the run and starts calling pass plays. He has very little patience with running the ball.

Yeah, that's what happens when you abandon drafting quality offensive linemen for 5 years because your defensive coordinator posing as a head coach is  scared of not having enough talent in his secondary that he still can't figure out. Like let's be honest here.

7 minutes ago, joru1000 said:

Yeah, that's what happens when you abandon drafting quality offensive linemen for 5 years because your defensive coordinator posing as a head coach is scared of not having enough talent in his secondary that he still can't figure out. Like let's be honest here.

Sigh... Such a misguided take. Spending money on free agents and using 2nd day draft picks in consecutive years is just glossed over because????

8 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Still have to have pocket awareness. It's a skill QB's need to have. If you know your O-Line is bad, you can't be double clutching in the pocket (which lead to Kirk's fumble to end the game tonight). You have to either tuck the ball or get rid of it. You also can't hold on to the ball for 6 seconds in which he was guilty of doing last week.

Case did VERY well under pressure last year with a maybe very slightly better offensive line so it's very possible to do.

It'll never be Kirk's strong suit but he needs to hold onto that ball. He's being paid to do so now. No more franchise tag excuses. He wanted to be paid like a top QB, he got it. Now it's time to not turn the ball over like a top QB and keep playing like a QB on pace for 5,500 and 40.

What on earth does his contract have to do with this? That's just silly.

Archived