Week 4: Chucky v. Bakermania

ReggieCamp

Who you got?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

Now having had more than 24 hours to chew on it - I am stating that I would have gone for it on the 4th and 1.

Brooksie - are you nucking futs? Well, I have been accused of being that too. So here goes.

Outcome A: - On fourth down, the first down is gained, and the game is over after the Browns take 3 knees.

Outcome B: - The Raiders hold, and receive the ball with 1:54 remaining down 8. They still need to score a TD (which they did) and convert a 2 pt play (also they did). The advantage to this scenario as to what actually happened is that the Raiders probably score much sooner, leaving the Browns more time - probably in the neighborhood of 1:00 to go instead of :36.

Assuming that the KO is a touchback - the Browns would have approx 1:00 and 3 timeouts to cover the approx 45-50 yards to reach FG range.

I like those odds a lot better than what actually happened.

Grow a set, Hue.

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

Now having had more than 24 hours to chew on it - I am stating that I would have gone for it on the 4th and 1.

Brooksie - are you nucking futs? Well, I have been accused of being that too. So here goes.

Outcome A: - On fourth down, the first down is gained, and the game is over after the Browns take 3 knees.

Outcome B: - The Raiders hold, and receive the ball with 1:54 remaining down 8. They still need to score a TD (which they did) and convert a 2 pt play (also they did). The advantage to this scenario as to what actually happened is that the Raiders probably score much sooner, leaving the Browns more time - probably in the neighborhood of 1:00 to go instead of :36.

Assuming that the KO is a touchback - the Browns would have approx 1:00 and 3 timeouts to cover the approx 45-50 yards to reach FG range.

Grow a set, Hue.

Exactly.

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Grow a set, Hue.

I don't get this analysis at all....

The comparison is the odds of the following chain of events happening:

1.) We convert the 4th down versus not

2.) We don't convert the 4th down, the Raiders go 18 yards for a touchdown in less than 2 minutes, the Raiders get the 2pt conversion

3.) Punt the ball and force the Raiders to go anywhere from 40-60 yards in less than 2 minutes, the Raiders get the 2pt conversion.

I'm not sure why people are seeing the punting option, up 8, with defensive players like Garrett, Ogunjobi, and Denzel Ward out there to stop them... that is the better option... how many times have we seen us go for 4th and 1 on a run play and get stopped?

It was the right decision, and the defense did not step up...

7 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I don't get this analysis at all....

The comparison is the odds of the following chain of events happening:

1.) We convert the 4th down versus not

2.) We don't convert the 4th down, the Raiders go 18 yards for a touchdown in less than 2 minutes, the Raiders get the 2pt conversion

3.) Punt the ball and force the Raiders to go anywhere from 40-60 yards in less than 2 minutes, the Raiders get the 2pt conversion.

I'm not sure why people are seeing the punting option, up 8, with defensive players like Garrett, Ogunjobi, and Denzel Ward out there to stop them... that is the better option... how many times have we seen us go for 4th and 1 on a run play and get stopped?

It was the right decision, and the defense did not step up...

Specially with the raiders having no timeouts. You play defense.

if you fail and the raiders score right away there is a chance the browns go 3 and out and now the hot raiders offense can win the game in regulation. 

If the browns were able to cover a punt and tackle the browns win the game as well. The 4th down situation was the reason the browns lost the game 

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Never said he was.

Said the performance was Kizeresque.

I agree, however, that he looked better doing it. :D

Kizeresque would have been turning the ball over in our end zone and then failing to score TDs and taking sacks at the worst moments. 

Baker turned he ball over even if there share the blame with him but Baker Still came out and put points on the board. At least baker made up for the TOs but coming back and scoring. Kizer would have never done that. Don’t insult him into that. 

Kizeresque would have been baker forcing horrible throwns into triple coverage over the middle of the field And greatly missing his target 

On 9/30/2018 at 9:09 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

This was an absolutely crappy day, but do you know what makes this even worse?  

I have to do my "cleanse" tomorrow, in order to go to the hospital and get "the procedure" done on Tuesday morning.  I am glad to know that I got to feel what it is going to be like, a full 36 hours beforehand.

I was very disappointed to find out that I can't get a Blu-Ray on my way out of the hospital.

Came through it with flying colors.  Interesting going through that as a long time school teacher......the doctor's kids were both in my classes.  Several of the nurses today have kids who've been in my classes as well.

Is there such a thing as "nurse-patient" confidentiality?  

giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, buno67 said:

if you fail and the raiders score right away there is a chance the browns go 3 and out and now the hot raiders offense can win the game in regulation. 

If the browns were able to cover a punt and tackle the browns win the game as well. The 4th down situation was the reason the browns lost the game 

Facts.

If we go for it on 4th and 1, we're also sending the defense a message.... "We don't believe in you."

People are just mad about the loss and directing that energy to a familiar place. 

It is always funny to see/hear the Bull & the Fox takes of why that was "one of the worst calls in Hue Jackson's career."

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Came through it with flying colors.  Interesting going through that as a long time school teacher......the doctor's kids were both in my classes.  Several of the nurses today have kids who've been in my classes as well.

Is there such a thing as "nurse-patient" confidentiality?  

giphy.gif

Haha, no. Everyone you’ve ever met will be discussing your butt by the end of the day, sorry.

@Kiwibrown and I were just discussing that we heard you did well, a natural if you will. ;) 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Kizeresque would have been turning the ball over in our end zone and then failing to score TDs and taking sacks at the worst moments. 

Baker turned he ball over even if there share the blame with him but Baker Still came out and put points on the board. At least baker made up for the TOs but coming back and scoring. Kizer would have never done that. Don’t insult him into that. 

Kizeresque would have been baker forcing horrible throwns into triple coverage over the middle of the field And greatly missing his target 

*COUGH* QB sneak with no time left in the first half *COUGH*

51 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

It is always funny to see/hear the Bull & the Fox takes of why that was "one of the worst calls in Hue Jackson's career."

*COUGH* Flea Flicker from their own endzone into triple coverage *COUGH*

Sheesh I think I need an inhaler

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Facts.

If we go for it on 4th and 1, we're also sending the defense a message.... "We don't believe in you."

People are just mad about the loss and directing that energy to a familiar place. 

Or you send the message that you do believe in the defense to stop them from getting 20 yards. Or you send the message to the offense that you believe you can pick up a yard. Or you send a message to the special teams that you will cover the punt well.

It isn't about sending messages it is about what gives you the best chance to win. I would have ran a sneak which was probably 85% chance of succeeding and then a 20% chance of our defense stopping them if it failed. Or you punt and there was a 60% chance that you stop them.

So my made up math with says we had a 90% chance to win if we ran a sneak and a 60% chance if we punted. I don't have to answer to the media so I would just go with what gives us the best chance to win. Hue has to worry about job security so he understandably went with punting, or the move that is made a higher percentage of the time.

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

There is that, but I stand by my point - if they cannot pick up less than half a yard, they don't deserve it anyway.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Facts.

Exactly the opposite. You are sending the message to the OL to man up and get it because you believe in them.

45 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Or you send the message that you do believe in the defense to stop them from getting 20 yards. Or you send the message to the offense that you believe you can pick up a yard. Or you send a message to the special teams that you will cover the punt well.

It isn't about sending messages it is about what gives you the best chance to win. I would have ran a sneak which was probably 85% chance of succeeding and then a 20% chance of our defense stopping them if it failed. Or you punt and there was a 60% chance that you stop them.

So my made up math with says we had a 90% chance to win if we ran a sneak and a 60% chance if we punted. I don't have to answer to the media so I would just go with what gives us the best chance to win. Hue has to worry about job security so he understandably went with punting, or the move that is made a higher percentage of the time.

Bingo!

In the end, we just to find a way to get it done prior to putting ourselves in that position.

Archived