Packers win over Bills 22-0 Post game thread

Gopackgonerd

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Against better teams - if you use Jones like we did yesterday, it's useless. You might as well just risk injury or just sit him all together. Did he really make a difference ? Was he allowed to ? Was there a flow ? Was he allowed to even get warmed up ? If MM was so worried, why play him when the game was essentially over ? I may not be smarter than MM, but Rodgers isn't pissed at me. Give the kid the rock or put him in a glass box and put him on the shelf for display purposes only

As a unit yesterday the OL and RBs both had their best games.  Id be more inclined to start Jones if we are wanting to get off to a faster start but lets not forget Montgomery has looked really good in his own limited opportunities this year.  A time share at RB as fine as long as it leans more toward Jones early in games.  Let Willams be the closer and Jones be the starter lol.

15 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Against better teams - if you use Jones like we did yesterday, it's useless. You might as well just risk injury or just sit him all together. Did he really make a difference ? Was he allowed to ? Was there a flow ? Was he allowed to even get warmed up ? If MM was so worried, why play him when the game was essentially over ? I may not be smarter than MM, but Rodgers isn't pissed at me. Give the kid the rock or put him in a glass box and put him on the shelf for display purposes only. One or two touches every third possession is dumb, and is probably more risky injury wise

Jones tied Williams in carries w/11
He led the team in yards w/65
His YPC was higher than everybody except AR
He scored a TD.
In the passing game he was targeted once - caught it for 17 yards.

I dont get "he wasnt used or didnt warm up" concept. You'd like him to get far more carries or opportunities. Okay, fine - I understand - but we won with his usage level yesterday. Isnt that what counts most? (And) I agree on the injury risk thoughts. He's not proven himself to be a stout or sturdy player. Make him the clear "bell cow" carrier - for an extended period - longer than a single game - I suspect he'll get hurt again.

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

I never asserted TT offered $21M over two years.  Those were your words. 

Actually, in response to another poster's contention that it may have been a mistake not to have re-signed Cook (who is on pace for nearly 1,500 yards and 8TDs in 2018) rather than Bennett (who after quitting on the Packers in 2017 is still counting $4.2M against the cap while he sits on his *** working on his "comedic" sklls this season) you asserted that Cook's agent rejected the Pack's previous GM's "very fair offer" and "ended up signing with the Raiders for less than half of what the Packers offered him."

Given that Cook signed for 2/$10.6M, if he in fact took less than half of what GB offered him, the Pack by definition had to have offered him 2/$21.2M or more if the above statement was true.

I was genuinely surprised that such an offer would have been made and Cook would not have accepted it, hence the request for information to support the assertion.

Regarding the faulty memory, no apologies necessary.  

I just wanted to make sure the record was clear over what transpired when the previous GM decided to move on from Cook and signed Bennett instead.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

He scored a TD.

I dont get "he wasnt used or didnt warm up" concept. You'd like him to get far more carries or opportunities. Okay, fine - I understand - but we won with his usage level yesterday. Isnt that what counts most? (And) I agree on the injury risk thoughts. He's not proven himself to be a stout or sturdy player. Make him the clear "bell cow" carrier - for an extended period - longer than a single game - I suspect he'll get hurt again.

Disjointed carries and usage. Let's be real here. If 11 carries is pushing the limits of a ball carrier over a 3 hour timespan, I am missing something.

The whole argument isn't about winning and losing against Buffalo. Just ask Rodgers. Its' about creating an offense and identity that can compete against the better teams and not go one and done in the playoffs

55 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

I mean I am perfectly fine with completely taking Jones out and pounding Williams at the end of a game like yesterday when it's completely in hand.

Good point ... he probably shouldn't be in there for mop duty when the game is in hand.  Throw Williams in there to handle that stuff.  I'm sure all of us would like to see more of Jones when the game is hanging in the balance though. 

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Good point ... he probably shouldn't be in there for mop duty when the game is in hand.  Throw Williams in there to handle that stuff.  I'm sure all of us would like to see more of Jones when the game is hanging in the balance though. 

Jones is a guy you can build a package for. Right now, it's like he is getting token carries. It's beyond stupid. That's why Rodgers said "we need more 33," and I doubt he meant 2 carries every third series of the game. Don't talk to me about injury risk, yet defend using him like that.

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Disjointed carries and usage. Let's be real here. If 11 carries is pushing the limits of a ball carrier over a 3 hour timespan, I am missing something. The whole argument isn't about winning and losing against Buffalo. Just ask Rodgers. Its' about creating an offense and identity that can compete against the better teams and not go one and done in the playoffs

Actually, I am real everywhere. That said - I understand your points, just dont share your angst. The offense really hasnt hit on all cylinders yet this year - yesterday was just Jone's second game back and he led all the other RBs.

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

He scored a TD.

We also played a horrid team that is going to be lucky to win 3 games this year.  While what you said about getting a win is true, Jones didn't see the field until the 3rd series and was the 3rd RB on the field (we punted on the first drive with Williams at RB and scored a TD on the second with Monty).

I think the "we should be afraid to use Aaron Jones because he might get hurt" conversation is a little premature.  The sample size of him getting injured isn't all that big.  He got hurt last year (after both Monty and Williams went down with injuries) and got hurt early in TC this year. While I don't think we should be giving him a Leveon Bell or David Johnson type workload (300-400 touches), there is no reason why he shouldn't be more involved in the offense (an Alvin Kamara type of workload.... maybe 15-17 touches a game).  It's pretty clear that he's the most talented RB we've got and its by a huge margin.

I'd personally like to see Jones see 55-65% of the offensive snaps with Monty (3rd down receiver) and Williams (short yardage) taking the rest.   Williams is a 3-3.5 yard plodder that offers no big play ability yet McCarthy is treating him like he's a legit 3 down back.  He's got one 15+ yard carry in his NFL career which is BY FAR the worst rate in the NFL among his peers (.5% of his runs compared to Jones who has a 15 yard carry on over 10% of his carries). 

Is there a rift between Rodgers and MM?  Seems to be what a lot of folks are talking about this morning. 

If there is a rift, should we be concerned?  MM has said that sometimes a little tension is healthy.  That said, I'd hate to see it spiral out of control.  Both AR and MM are pretty stubborn and I'm not sure I want to see a pi$$ing match between these two guys this season, unless it brings out the best of both of them.  Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

I love being bored when we win like that.  We also have to remember this is the same team that smoked MN last week.  Winning in this league ain't easy so we shouldn't be disappointed.

I'm happy with the W and totally just okay with a boring W too. I was more saying, I never really felt any pressure.

11 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Is there a rift between Rodgers and MM?  Seems to be what a lot of folks are talking about this morning. If there is a rift, should we be concerned?  MM has said that sometimes a little tension is healthy.  That said, I'd hate to see it spiral out of control.  Both AR and MM are pretty stubborn and I'm not sure I want to see a pi$$ing match between these two guys this season, unless it brings out the best of both of them.  Thoughts?

This is an annual thing. Often started or implied by a former writer for JSO - with the logs of the fire being subtle comments made by AR - or as Aaron Nagler characterizes them: subtle passive aggressive comments by AR - and it feeds into the "habit forming social media" chit chat regards MM: does he suck or not?

When all else fails - when theres nothing "compelling" to chat about - break out the "does MM suck" card. Happens every year. I'm fine with competition and some friction. It keeps everybody on their toes and moving forward. ARs not exactly been lighting it up this season. His WRs have made some untimely drops - he's missed on others. Its early. It happens. No big deal IMO.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is an annual thing. Often started or implied by a former writer for JSO - with the logs of the fire being subtle comments made by AR - or as Aaron Nagler characterizes them: subtle passive aggressive comments by AR - and it feeds into the "habit forming social media" chit chat regards MM: does he suck or not?

When all else fails - when theres nothing "compelling" to chat about - break out the "does MM suck" card. Happens every year. I'm fine with competition and some friction. It keeps everybody on their toes and moving forward. ARs not exactly been lighting it up this season. His WRs have made some untimely drops - he's missed on others. Its early. It happens. No big deal IMO.

All of what you said is true.  AR just seemed a lot more upset than I've seen him in a while, and it's hard to parse out if he's more frustrated with himself or MM.  I haven't read anything about AR throwing any of his receivers under the bus for dropped balls, but he does seem more agitated than normal with MM.  Like you said, this will hopefully be a non-story as the season goes on.

Archived