Why Don't We See More Star Players Demand to be Traded in the NFL

MKnight82

I think there are many reasons players don't demand trades. One is career shelf life if a player demands a trade holds out for a trade he could miss time careers are so short compared to nba Carson Palmer prime example demanding a trade effected his career for years before he bounced back. The second is you have strong ownership I don't feel the league as a whole wants to let players dictate where they end up.And the last is it kinda ruins a players legacy if the demand doesn't pay off with a championship he gets the Diva card. Take a look a Terrell Owens. One of the greatest wrs ever if he stays in San Fran and is the consummate pro and teammate his legacy is top notch. Regardless of what he did in Philly. The guy had a crazy superbowl on a broken leg. All that gets overlooked from forcing himself out of town.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:34 PM, Thomas5737 said:

NFL teams really value draft picks and that is usually what is requested when trading a player so they are just rare for big name players compared to other leagues where draft picks aren't seen as valuable and prospects are seen as more valuable. Player for player trades are harder for cap penalties as mentioned above. There are many factors I suppose.

I think this is big, too. In the NFL, draft picks in just about any round are treated like precious metals. In the NBA, they're about a valuable as shares of Enron, save for lottery picks (and they're always specifically protected against in trade).

5 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Its far less of a team sport, at least these days.

Which is why the NBA does little for me these days.  Sure, the league has often been about stars, and you even had the teams with 3 or more stars in the 80s, but they played more like teams then.  Now, it's all about "me."  It's, at least for me, how Jordan (with assistance from David Stern) ruined the league. 

We could have a whole new topic just on that or the how the AAU leagues have ruined basketball.  xD

NFL players do get disgruntled with their teams.  Look at the Brandon Cooks trade to New England.   While the situation probably worked out well for Cooks, it wasn't guaranteed too.  NFL players have less control over what happens to them once the team finds out they are disgruntled.  It also seems like NFL views disgruntlement and large egos in a more negative light than NBA.  A player can get the reputation of locker room cancer relatively easy, while in the NBA, ridiculous egos are an expected way of life.

There are few players that could demand a trade in the NFL and gain public sympathy. I don't think anyone in Cleveland would begrudge Joe Thomas if he asked to leave. I think if I was Andrew Luck I would aks to leave the Colts. They have had the two best QB prospects since Elway and they  have done a pretty poor job of organizing a team around either of them, especially Luck. 

16 hours ago, disaacs said:

Which is why the NBA does little for me these days.  Sure, the league has often been about stars, and you even had the teams with 3 or more stars in the 80s, but they played more like teams then.  Now, it's all about "me."  It's, at least for me, how Jordan (with assistance from David Stern) ruined the league. 

We could have a whole new topic just on that or the how the AAU leagues have ruined basketball.  xD

You're talking about the NBA in 2001-2007ish. It was all iso play with 1 start going 1 on 1. Today's NBA is waaay more team oriented.

For the NFL, without guaranteed contracts players hold no power. Demanding a trade means nothing, and you will screw your career up by skipping a season. NFL careers are much shorter than NBA careers.

I think there are two main reasons for this.  1. NBA has guaranteed contracts and 2. NFL's franchise tag.  In the NBA, when a star player is approaching free agency, they can leave 100% if they desire.  In the NFL, this is not the case due to the franchise tag.  Also, just as a side note.  The NFL's union is really weak.  They don't take matters into their own hands like NBA players do.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:24 PM, disaacs said:

How the hell did Jordan ruin the league?  You do know that his Bulls teams played like those 80s teams, right?  I mean, they wouldn't have won 6 titles in the 90s if the played with a "me" attitude. And you also know that for most of his career, MJ was waaaaay underpaid. His last two seasons with the Bulls, he made $30 mil each, but that's nothing compared to what athletes make today. 

Whatever you say about today's NBA, you can't blame MJ for poor gameplay and players' attitudes. 

Outside of a handful of positions, players in the NFL (even the really good ones) just arent as important as far as individual players go. Success in football is much more dependent on the team. So NFL players usually just dont have the leverage necessary to demand anything.

2 hours ago, sportjames23 said:

How the hell did Jordan ruin the league?  You do know that his Bulls teams played like those 80s teams, right?  I mean, they wouldn't have won 6 titles in the 90s if the played with a "me" attitude. And you also know that for most of his career, MJ was waaaaay underpaid. His last two seasons with the Bulls, he made $30 mil each, but that's nothing compared to what athletes make today. 

Whatever you say about today's NBA, you can't blame MJ for poor gameplay and players' attitudes. 

Yeah, I have to agree. As much as I hate Jordan (and always will) he really didnt do anything to impact the league in a negative way. He played his whole career in one town. Was never really the "I demand more money" kind of guy. Never really a huge locker room distraction. He had an ego. He clashed with some folks on occasion. And was a bit of an attention whore. But there were players like that long before him and will be long after. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 3:29 PM, MKnight82 said:

It happens all the time in the NBA.  If a team is pretty terrible with a star player, you'll see him demand a trade and the team will move him.  That rarely happens in the NFL.  

Entirely different games, entirely different leagues.

On 8/16/2017 at 4:38 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Star NBA players are selfish egomaniacs. There are some of those in the NFL but not nearly as bad. Plus the NBA doesn't have a franchise tag so the players really have their teams by the balls. 

For an NFL player to force a trade they'd have to be willing to refuse to play which could cost them a lot of money. And most good organizations don't want players who'd be willing to just not play.

This pretty well sums it up. NFL players have far shorter careers for the most part and can be franchised, so there is little threat they can use to force a trade. They would have to sit out and that would cost them millions of dollars, not a likely scenario given shorter careers. Basically, the NFL has their thumb on the players throats and that is why their stars make the lowest amount of money over their careers vs the NBA and MLB. Once the NFL got rookie salaries under control, the NFL players have little chance to make any kind of real money unless they are a QB.

The NFL owners convinced their fans that rookies were making too much money, so they could pocket the profits for themselves, while the players risk serious injury every game, hence the shorter careers. That's why the NFL always includes non guaranteed money when discussing salaries. It gives the impression that the players are making far more than they actually ever see. Most contracts are back loaded in the non guaranteed $$$'s and very few players ever receive that money.

The NFL has the perfect system for owners. They have by far, the highest revenue and pay by far, the least amount in salaries with a feeder system which costs them zero $$$'s. And the fans buy their false impression that their rookies were making too much money. At every position except QB, NFL stars make what the NBA and MLB pays to their bench players and the fans buy it hook, line and sinker.

Archived