Around the NFL and General discussion

hornbybrown

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/12/best-worst-destinations-free-agents-dallas-atlanta-buffalo-cleveland-detroit-oakland

“There was some debate about where Cleveland belonged in the ranking. Some agents said Cleveland would have been far and away the least desirable destination for players just two years ago, but the arrival of general manager John Dorsey in late 2017 and Baker Mayfield’s early success bumped them into the middle class of the league. “The new regime in Cleveland is fantastic,” one agent said. Added another: “The players don’t know it yet, but John’s changing that place for the better. Other reps said the Browns still belonged in the Bottom 5, not simply for their long losing history, but for weather and the perception of living in Berea or Cleveland, too.”

44 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Straight from Giants insiders who have talked about what it would take. The Giants just resigned him last off-season and would have to eat a bunch of dead money now to trade him. He’s have to become a real cancer to change the value there. Totally different situation than 30 year old malcontent AB who killed his value and Amari Cooper. Odell is way better than Cooper and the dead money for Oakland to trade him wasn’t remotely as high as Beckham’s would be. If the cost was only one mid round 1st, a guy like Beckham would have had a home yesterday. 

Well that’s what the Giants want. I believe they want multiple 1st and more and I just don’t think they will get it. Until they get a legit young QB having a player like OBJ really is just a waste or money and resources

If I'm the Giants I'm flipping 17 for Josh Rosen immediately if it even takes that. Maybe a 2nd rounder and the 3rd just acquired from us. Then I'd go full money ball trade down twice with the 6th overall pick and stocking up draft capital to build around Rosen and Saquon.

13 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

If I'm the Giants I'm flipping 17 for Josh Rosen immediately if it even takes that. Maybe a 2nd rounder and the 3rd just acquired from us. Then I'd go full money ball trade down twice with the 6th overall pick and stocking up draft capital to build around Rosen and Saquon.

Rosen is a whiny little twit.

id roll the dice on whichever QB they fancy

11 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Yep. It’ll take that. This crap about getting Rosen for a 2nd or 3rd is ridiculous. As crazy as this sounds as a Browns fan, if you put him or Darnold on this team and they make some hay. 

2 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

More joyous news: Le'Veon Bell to the Jets.

One more talent entering the abyss that is the AFC East behind the Pats.

$4/52M.  Sitting out and forgoing $15M last season didn't work in his favor.  Setting the market here at about $13M/season at the position. 

Glad to see him leaving the division with the smoke of Baltimore though.  He'll be a nice safety valve for Sammy.  Don't see the Jets being much of a contender, so best case scenario here. 

I've not seen any signs of anyone else in the AFCN getting better this offseason so far; only worse.  You can say the exact opposite about us. 

It will be weird seeing us playing with real expectations for once.  I don't foresee many people picking a team other than Cleveland to win the AFCN.  Early 90s would be the last time I'd venture to guess we were favored in the division.  Craziness. 

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yep. It’ll take that. This crap about getting Rosen for a 2nd or 3rd is ridiculous. As crazy as this sounds as a Browns fan, if you put him or Darnold on this team and they make some hay. 

Eventually probably. Neither were ready for NFL defenders in their face last year compared to our guy. Nothing rattled him, that is very unusual and a great great thing for a QB.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

$4/52M.  Sitting out and forgoing $15M last season didn't work in his favor.  Setting the market here at about $13M/season at the position. 

Glad to see him leaving the division with the smoke of Baltimore though.  He'll be a nice safety valve for Sammy.  Don't see the Jets being much of a contender, so best case scenario here. 

I don't know man. It worked out just fine. He made it to FA uninjured and secured the bag all while resting his body and mind a year... getting to spend time with his family.

The popularized $30 mill over 2; 45 mil over 3; 60 mil over 4 numbers everyone cites regarding the steelers offer was not guaranteed money but avg salary per year. According to agents, the deal was worth 32 mil guaranteed.

Now, he gets 35 mil guaranteed at signing reportedly and the ability to make 61 million total.

While he hoped to break the RB market by pursuing WR money in guarantees (40 mil plus gtd at signing ; 65 mil total guarantees -- a la OBJ), he falls short of that number.

The added bonus is he's with a team willing to once again build the offense around his skill set.

In a perfect world, he would've made the 15 mil from the franchise tag then signed a longterm deal with the steelers..  then he'd be up 15 mil.. if he gets injured however his numbers arent quite like this contract wise.

Then there's the option of having just signed the Steelers longterm deal last offseason. The benefit of new scenery, a year to rest one's body, and the gtd money while trying to press the RB market all means he did quite well for himself

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I've not seen any signs of anyone else in the AFCN getting better this offseason so far; only worse.  You can say the exact opposite about us. 

It will be weird seeing us playing with real expectations for once.  I don't foresee many people picking a team other than Cleveland to win the AFCN.  Early 90s would be the last time I'd venture to guess we were favored in the division.  Craziness. 

Baker torched the Bengals and Ravens ***** last year. That was without Kareem and OBJ. Steelers will always fight hard.

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I don't know man. It worked out just fine. He made it to FA uninjured and secured the bag all while resting his body and mind a year... getting to spend time with his family.

The popularized $30 mill over 2; 45 mil over 3; 60 mil over 4 numbers everyone cites regarding the steelers offer was not guaranteed money but avg salary per year. According to agents, the deal was worth 32 mil guaranteed.

Now, he gets 35 mil guaranteed at signing reportedly and the ability to make 61 million total.

While he hoped to break the RB market by pursuing WR money in guarantees (40 mil plus gtd at signing ; 65 mil total guarantees -- a la OBJ), he falls short of that number.

The added bonus is he's with a team willing to once again build the offense around his skill set.

In a perfect world, he would've made the 15 mil from the franchise tag then signed a longterm deal with the steelers..  then he'd be up 15 mil.. if he gets injured however his numbers arent quite like this contract wise.

Then there's the option of having just signed the Steelers longterm deal last offseason. The benefit of new scenery, a year to rest one's body, and the gtd money while trying to press the RB market all means he did quite well for himself

Of course now he’s paying NYC taxes and cost of living vs PA, lost a years worth of wages and lastly (and this point can’t be understated), went from a perennial playoff team to the Jets who just spent 17/yr on an off the ball LB.

I’m glad he got his extra million or two in salary, hope it was worth it.

Archived