Around the NFL and General discussion

hornbybrown

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah the argument against Barkley was never because of his abilities, but rather positional value.

Here's a good read on why Mayfield (vs. Barkley) should be ROTY.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-baker-mayfield-not-saquon-barkley-should-be-the-nfls-2018-offensive-rookie-of-the-year/

The main thing propping Barkley is that he plays in NYC, imho.

No matter, if Mayfield comes in second he will be pissed, and more dangerous.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As I should have.

Shelton is a tub of goo, no argument there, but he does play the run well imo. He’s the only (negative) change on the front 7 and there’s been a noticeable difference.

I also hate the fact I’m the guy defending Shelton as I thought he was a turrrrible pick when we drafted him.

For the record I also didn’t hate the trade.  I thought it didn’t help us in the short term (it didn’t/hasn’t) but I understand the value we received in return.

My only point is we aren’t somehow better without him.  I think he’d be our second best DT and helpful in the run game.

but yet stats dont back up that statement or observation...

Just now, bruceb said:

Mayfield is clearly the most valuable rookie regardless as to who wins the award.

If not for Hue, Baker would have already won the thing.

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I honestly felt Saquon Barkley would be a HOF player and still do. However, man the Giants should have drafted a QB.

I would never trade Baker for Saquon.

Don't tell that to Giants fans.

Only way that decision ends up looking good for them is if the other three QBs end up being busts, or if they're able to get their franchise QB very soon. As great as Barkley can be (and arguably already is), it won't matter if their QB play sucks during his tenure with the team.

While Darnold's rookie year has been up and down (mostly down), I still feel like he can become a top QB in the league. I still say they should have drafted him instead of Barkley.

As for the Shelton trade, I too understand why they made the trade. If Shelton wasn't in their long-term plans, then it obviously is a smart idea to get a third round pick for him. But I'm not buying that our defense wouldn't be any better with him. Our run defense was great last year and has stunk for the most part this year. You can't tell me he wouldn't be an upgrade over Trevon Coley.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Don't tell that to Giants fans.

Only way that decision ends up looking good for them is if the other three QBs end up being busts, or if they're able to get their franchise QB very soon. As great as Barkley can be (and arguably already is), it won't matter if their QB play sucks during his tenure with the team.

While Darnold's rookie year has been up and down (mostly down), I still feel like he can become a top QB in the league. I still say they should have drafted him instead of Barkley.

^^^^^

This is the long and short of it. I don’t love the QB class this year though.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

As for the Shelton trade, I too understand why they made the trade. If Shelton wasn't in their long-term plans, then it obviously is a smart idea to get a third round pick for him. But I'm not buying that our defense wouldn't be any better with him. Our run defense was great last year and has stunk for the most part this year. You can't tell me he wouldn't be an upgrade over Trevon Coley.

Seems like someone else observed the same thing I did....

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

^^^^^

This is the long and short of it. I don’t love the QB class this year though.

Neither do I. Which was another reason why I felt the Giants should have went for a QB. I mean, who are the top QB prospects? Herbert and Haskins? Both have potential, but it's not even a guarantee that they'll declare for the draft.

19 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Neither do I. Which was another reason why I felt the Giants should have went for a QB. I mean, who are the top QB prospects? Herbert and Haskins? Both have potential, but it's not even a guarantee that they'll declare for the draft.

They could be picking outside the top 10 with 2 an needy teams a head of them. They might have to rg3 trade it to get to the top pick if they do like a qb. They have shot themselves in the foot.

20 minutes ago, DawgX said:

In all honesty we’ve finally lucked into a bonafide franchise qb. I can recount the purely terrible luck at qb since ‘99 if you want, but suffice it to say we finally got one of them damned unicorns. 

And yes the Giants were pure morons for passing on Darnold. They will rue the day. What the hell is a rue anyway?  I can’t lie I haven’t (in the very first time since we came back in ‘99) watched a damned lick of college tape of the qbs coming out. Even though I have watched Grier. But I don’t see a whole heck of a lot of qbs coming out that can make a difference in the league. 

59 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Sure but coley wouldn’t net us a 7th and Shelton isn’t that much better. He’s pretty bad actually.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Mayfield is clearly the most valuable rookie regardless as to who wins the award.

That is certainly a true statement. I think Barkley wins and don't even think it is wrong but Baker is the most valuable and would be taken #1 in every mock redraft done by anyone who believes the Earth is round, or a sphere, or whatever shape it is. Pear shaped? I can't remember. Anyway, if you believe you can fall off of the edge of Earth, Baker isn't for you.

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-baker-mayfield-not-saquon-barkley-should-be-the-nfls-2018-offensive-rookie-of-the-year/

Yeah that article is pretty much spot on.

Archived