The Ultimeat Showdown! Butcher Battle Round 4 and Don't Be Fowl Round 2 posted in OP on 11/08

Dome

4 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:
1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Where does one get a Wagyu steak at where I can cook it myself?

I’ve had good success with D’Artagnan but they don’t always have the good stuff. Also Allen Brothers usually has it in stock.  As mentioned earlier Snake River Farms is pretty good.

I would be very careful when spending the kind of money in the states for Wagyu beef. Wagyu can refer to really any steak coming from Japan and since their is very little oversight or monitoring in the states this can mean you are paying way more money for the same steak you could buy in the states. 

True wagyu will have more fat then red meat in it. I lived in Japan while on duty the steak their is amazing but I haven't found many places that sell the true product in the states. 

6 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Where's the TurDucken?

Probably in one of these ... probably phase 3?

On 10/18/2018 at 1:07 PM, Dome said:

Phase 2: Don't Be Fowl
Another double elimination bracket, this time we're parting out some birds. We'll see which parts of our beaked buddies we most like chompin' on!

Phase 3: Something's Fishy
This slippery group could be hard to define with so many categories. But don't fret! Losers in this single elimination bracket will end up in Phase 4 against other assorted meats and animals

Phase 4: Tastes like Chicken
Tastes like chicken, but it's not! This bracket will be the last stand for miscellaneous meats and edible critters. Whether unfairly misrepresented from the start or brought back by threat of violent coup, Phase 4 will be home to less common meats like Lamb, Bison, Goat, Sea Creatures, Game Birds, Venison and More!

Matchup 1 - #1 Beef Short Loin vs #8 Ground Beef
Matchup 2 - #2 Beef Rib vs #7 Beef Round
Matchup 3 - #3 Beef Brisket vs #6 Beef Flank/Plate
Matchup 4 - #4 Beef Sirloin vs #5 Beef Chuck

Matchup 5 - #1 Pork Shoulder vs #8 Pork Butt, Leg, Shank, Hocks
Matchup 6 - #2 Sausage (Bulk) vs #7 Pork Tenderloin
Matchup 7 - #3 Pork Ribs vs #6 Pork Loin
Matchup 8 - #4 Pork Belly vs #5 Sausage (Links)

But to be honest I will eat ANY of the above 16 types of meat and be happy - some just make me even more happy.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's the one. @pwny made some fork steak with it. Just cut through it with a fork. 

Also great chicken. Cook it at 145° for ~2 hours from thawed and it’s life changing.

You plebs cooking chicken to 165° disgust me.

Just now, pwny said:

Also great chicken. Cook it at 145° for ~2 hours from thawed and it’s life changing.

You plebs cooking chicken to 165° disgust me.

It's beef/pork day, get that chicken talk outta here.

(I'm fairly certain our poultry bracket is going to lead to a literal riot when arguing the best fried chicken...)

42 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I would be very careful when spending the kind of money in the states for Wagyu beef. Wagyu can refer to really any steak coming from Japan and since their is very little oversight or monitoring in the states this can mean you are paying way more money for the same steak you could buy in the states. 

True wagyu will have more fat then red meat in it. I lived in Japan while on duty the steak their is amazing but I haven't found many places that sell the true product in the states. 

Oh for sure just like buying anything online. I mentioned the above places because I’ve bought from them. I’ve bought the A5 from D'Artagnan and Allen Brothers and it’s the real deal. I’ve bought all types of meat from D’Artagnan and have always been satisfied. 

Matchup 1 - #1 Beef Short Loin vs #8 Ground Beef
Matchup 2 - #2 Beef Rib vs #7 Beef Round

Matchup 5 - #1 Pork Shoulder vs #8 Pork Butt, Leg, Shank, Hocks

On 10/18/2018 at 1:07 PM, Dome said:

PHASE 1 - BUTCHER BATTLE
Round 1 - 16 Contestants - Double Elimination 

Vote for one winner in each matchup!

Matchup 1 - #1 Beef Short Loin vs #8 Ground Beef
Matchup 2 - #2 Beef Rib vs #7 Beef Round

Matchup 5 - #1 Pork Shoulder vs #8 Pork Butt, Leg, Shank, Hocks

I love links.

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Isn't pork butt and pork shoulder the same thing? 

It’s a misnomer.

Pork Shoulder (literally off the shoulder) can be called a “Boston Butt” Roast. People get lazy and just call it a “Pork butt” when referring to it, but it came off the shoulder. Most butchers will assume you mean the shoulder and know what you’re talkint about. 

However the true butt of the pig, the rump above the rear legs, is VERY different than what most people call the “pork butt” and would be very upset if they ordered a pork butt and were given the actual butt cut.

Just now, Slateman said:

How is the brisket being cooked?

I believe that's your call. My take on it was: if I could make/order the best/favorite preparation of meat A and meat B, which would I choose?

• Like 2