Let's talk about Taysom Hill and gadget players

AFlaccoSeagulls

13 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

All far and away better college QBs than Taysom Hill.  

Taysom's best college season as a passer saw him complete 53.9% of his passes with 14 INTs to 19 TDs.  

Taysom ain't anywhere near Jackson/Kaep/RG3/Vick/Young level as a prospect.  I just don't really get the comparison.  Taysom is an athletic QB with little to no experience despite being 30 years old.  We can't act like he's comparable to 21 or 22 year old QBs who were Heisman candidates and winners, and were all highly drafted.  No team even wanted to take a flier on Taysom.  And the Packers cut him before he made the 53-man roster.  

If I told you after Hill's 5th season at BYU that he could be a teams franchise QB, everyone would laugh at me.  And what has changed since, other than he's older?  Nothing.  He just gets the shine that he does because he is admittedly athletic and Payton likes putting him in the game.  It's entirely possible he has gotten better, and kudos to Payton if so.  But it would definitely surprise me.

I think what people are missing here is that Taysom really is an athlete who sometimes is allowed to throw easy reads (even then, he often doesn't spot receivers coming open). He is not a QB. This is pretty unique for me. Kaep, Vick etc all were QBs - they read defenses, adjusted, threw in anticipation, changed reads, progressed through reads etc. Taysom will runnnnnn.

24 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

All far and away better college QBs than Taysom Hill.  

Taysom's best college season as a passer saw him complete 53.9% of his passes with 14 INTs to 19 TDs.  

Taysom ain't anywhere near Jackson/Kaep/RG3/Vick/Young level as a prospect.  I just don't really get the comparison.  Taysom is an athletic QB with little to no experience despite being 30 years old.  We can't act like he's comparable to 21 or 22 year old QBs who were Heisman candidates and winners, and were all highly drafted.  No team even wanted to take a flier on Taysom.  And the Packers cut him before he made the 53-man roster.  

If I told you after Hill's 5th season at BYU that he could be a teams franchise QB, everyone would laugh at me.  And what has changed since, other than he's older?  Nothing.  He just gets the shine that he does because he is admittedly athletic and Payton likes putting him in the game.  It's entirely possible he has gotten better, and kudos to Payton if so.  But it would definitely surprise me.

Taysom has never impressed me as a passer, but I think some are underrating his utility.  He’s a very athletic guy and would probably have a lot more production if he was used more.  

He scares me running a team all by himself, but if Payton really feels that strongly about him, he’s gotta give him a shot.

23 hours ago, iknowcool said:

A player who has never topped 400 YFS in a season, and never had more than 86 passing yards in a season (only 55 last year), isn't that valuable.  There's dozens on dozens of RBs and WRs I'm taking on my team over Taysom.  If we ignore the fact that he's listed as a QB and look at what he actually produces on the field, everyone would see that.

But if you think he is, then more power to you and the Saints.  We'll find out over these next 3 games.

Sup bro, just checking in

On 11/22/2020 at 10:00 AM, iknowcool said:

Dude, he plays like limited snaps at multiple positions. You really think other guys couldn’t do that? You are vastly overestimating Hill’s athleticism. Like I said, the only difference is Payton considers it worth subbing Brees out for him.

Look anything can happen but I am like 95% positive of how Hill is gonna look as a full-time QB. He’s a 30-year old inexperienced run-first QB. Ain’t hard to figure out what will probably happen if you have watched the NFL for long.

Overestimating Hill's athleticism?

6'2, 230 pounds

4.4 40 yard dash

38.5" vertical

10'2" broad jump

4.37 shuttle

7.03 3 cone

That's a pretty freakish athlete....

36 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Overestimating Hill's athleticism?

6'2, 230 pounds

4.4 40 yard dash

38.5" vertical

10'2" broad jump

4.37 shuttle

7.03 3 cone

That's a pretty freakish athlete....

Yes, if you think Hill is the best utility player in the NFL, you are overrating him.

Just now, iknowcool said:

Yes, if you think Hill is the best utility player in the NFL, you are overrating him.

This post was only related to his athleticism. Also, I don't consider Ekeler a "utility" player...He's a pass catching HB. I'm not sure how that qualifies him as a utility guy.

Taysom has played snaps at QB, FB, TE, WR, gunner, KR, PR.... He's obviously doing something right, your own team wanted Tommy Stevens for the same role.

2019-taysom-hill-snaps.png

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Lol maybe one day he’ll learn a good deep ball

But yeah that 1 game vs a bad Falcons team sure proved me wrong. Maybe he’ll even throw a TD before he’s 31!

What did Taysom do to hurt you? That TD he had that was called back was a good deep ball. Taysom is a good NFL player, its not the end of the world. No one is calling him Steve Young, well except Sean Payton.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

This post was only related to his athleticism. Also, I don't consider Ekeler a "utility" player...He's a pass catching HB. I'm not sure how that qualifies him as a utility guy.

Taysom has played snaps at QB, FB, TE, WR, gunner, KR, PR.... He's obviously doing something right, your own team wanted Tommy Stevens for the same role.

2019-taysom-hill-snaps.png

Why does it matter how many positions he lines up if his production is nonexistent?

It’s why the debate is stupid. What does he actually PRODUCE?

14 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Why does it matter how many positions he lines up if his production is nonexistent?

It’s why the debate is stupid. What does he actually PRODUCE?

How doesn't he produce? lol. He's a good ST'er, he's averaging 5.4 YPC, 12.3 yards per reception and he's scored 6 TDs this year. How isn't that production? No one is saying he'll be CMC and rush for 1000 and catch 1000 lol

Or you could take all the DC words for it when they say how hard it is to prep for him. I dont know.

Edited by MookieMonstah

15 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

How doesn't he produce? lol. He's a good ST'er, he's averaging 5.4 YPC, 12.3 yards per reception and he's scored 6 TDs this year. How isn't that production? No one is saying he'll be CMC and rush for 1000 and catch 1000 lol

Or you could take all the DC words for it when they say how hard it is to prep for him. I dont know.

If someone is gonna call him the best utility player in the NFL, I expect more. Simple as that.

Nobody is saying he’s trash. I’m just saying he is nowhere close to being as great as he id made out to be