Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I understand why I’d be annoyed with how much this virus gets talked about and maybe some of it is overdone.

However, I’d like to think there’s at least 1 smart person in the room when these BILLION dollar decisions are made.

Look at all the money people are losing, if this wasn’t actually a concern I can’t see all of these separate businesses being on board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It really is the end of the world.

This is the intro to Planet of the Apes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1238012197537755136

I've been to that place.

My wife and I went there 'off season' nearly 15 years ago. 

The monkeys get real used to bring fed by tourists, and during off peak times get a little crazy.

We were walking around and I had a bag of our food, and a bottle of water.

A little monkey jumped at me and tried to take the water from me. I kicked it away and in an instant about a dozen adults were full on charging me.

I turned around and my wife had already run away. I picked up a large stick and had to fight my way back to the beach.

It was funny a hell really, but I was terrified.

Edited by Mega Ron
I wrote s natch. That not allowed?
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

A little old lady told me off in the supermarket today. I had the temerity to grab the last pack of white rice from a shelf. 

"Leave some for everyone else" she said.

First of all, I was shopping for my in-laws who are 75 and are being isolated. Not because of the virus, it's just that no one likes them very much.

Secondly, how will one bag of rice suffice for the whole of the town?

She'd already hobbled away while I was explaining this to her.

You should have told her you’re using it to throw at a wedding 😂

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

There’s going to be fights brewing in school districts over paying teachers and staff. Districts have no idea what to do.

Not sure.  We've got our last day with our students tomorrow, and a staff day on Monday to deal with how we're going to attack presenting lessons to the students during this period.  Fortunately I teach in a district where every student (at least in grades 6-12) have their own laptop to take home with them.  It will be a bit of an adjustment, but I think it is something that we'll be able to handle.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

There’s going to be fights brewing in school districts over paying teachers and staff. Districts have no idea what to do.

There shouldn’t be. You pay teachers to teach so many days a year. Just tack the day’s on at the end of the year 

36 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Not sure.  We've got our last day with our students tomorrow, and a staff day on Monday to deal with how we're going to attack presenting lessons to the students during this period.  Fortunately I teach in a district where every student (at least in grades 6-12) have their own laptop to take home with them.  It will be a bit of an adjustment, but I think it is something that we'll be able to handle.  

I have tremendous respect for teachers and what you guys go through. What @MWil23 said about meals is encouraging.

• Like 2

My work may have us start working remotely. Why they haven't done so already is beyond me as we (especially my position) do not need to be at the office to do our work.

I went to the grocery store and it was an absolute madhouse. I swear half the shelves were empty. I had to run to CVS just to get things like toilet paper.

• Like 1

Tomorrow is our last day with students for three weeks. Monday we will have an all day training to go to online learning for next week, then a week for our spring break, then another week of online learning, then kids come back Monday April 6. We were or are suppose to start state testing on April 7, and next week and the first week of April I was using those two weeks for review for these tests.

One of my kids in class today is homeless, doesn't have wifi, and gets breakfast and lunch today for free. He said "Mr. ________, what the **** am I supposed to do here..." I bit my lip, asked him if he had some warm clothes, needed more, and told him to email me and let me know what he needed.

What am I supposed to tell him tomorrow...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Tomorrow is our last day with students for three weeks. Monday we will have an all day training to go to online learning for next week, then a week for our spring break, then another week of online learning, then kids come back Monday April 6. We were or are suppose to start state testing on April 7, and next week and the first week of April I was using those two weeks for review for these tests.

One of my kids in class today is homeless, doesn't have wifi, and gets breakfast and lunch today for free. He said "Mr. ________, what the **** am I supposed to do here..." I bit my lip, asked him if he had some warm clothes, needed more, and told him to email me and let me know what he needed.

What am I supposed to tell him tomorrow...

That is heartbreaking to hear.

Suggest that he access Wifi at a public library?

Try to find a family that can take him in for a few weeks?

See if local churches can lend assistance?

Damn!!!

• Like 1

Just now, bruceb said:

That is heartbreaking to hear.

Suggest that he access Wifi at a public library?

Try to find a family that can take him in for a few weeks?

See if local churches can lend assistance?

Damn!!!

We talked public library, which he said he could walk to (10 miles away) or try to get the public transportation, but if public transportation gets shut down, he's panicking because he can't make it to his job. He's 18. I'm trying to talk him out of dropping out. 

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We talked public library, which he said he could walk to (10 miles away) or try to get the public transportation, but if public transportation gets shut down, he's panicking because he can't make it to his job. He's 18. I'm trying to talk him out of dropping out. 

That is the worst. 

had a student who was struggling to keep pace to graduate. Told him I come in every morning an hour before classes start. Told him I be willing to help him on any work for any subject in the mornings and help after school as long as we talk about it first. Kid was excited and got emotional cause all he wanted to do was walk with his friends at graduation. Told him I just wanted him to graduate. Next morning, I’m in my room, getting stuff prepared, waiting for him, he never shows up. I see him in class and asked what happen? He said it was more important for him to do the breakfast tailgate the seniors do every once and awhile. Told him that I better see tomorrow if he is truly serious about graduating. There was about 3weeks left before grades were due. Never once saw him in the morning or taking advantage of the help. He was fine being a 5th yr senior. Now fast forward a year. I have him in class again. Now his schedule is career program in the morning and classes in the afternoon. Told him this was a blessing in disguise because he can get a solid year worth of experience under his belt in construction and get the OHSA 30 certificate. Well I find out he isn’t doing the OHSA online course and isn’t going to his career center classes. Tried to have another sit down and thought it got through to him. Never saw him again or heard from him. He never officially dropped out. Don’t remember the exact number. It’s 14 or 15 days. If a student, who is over the age of 18, misses that many consecutive days of school, they are automatically removed from the school. 

I was sad about it because he needed the help and support and I hated it that I wanted him to graduate more than he did. 

45 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We talked public library, which he said he could walk to (10 miles away)

10 miles away?

Where in the hell do you live?

I probably am spoiled but I have 3 within 3 miles walking distance, one just a shade over a mile.

Is the kid set up to graduate?

Sounds like he is willing to put in the effort to do it.

How about a GoFundMe® account to get the kid through this?

I'll contribute.

4 minutes ago, bruceb said:

10 miles away?

Where in the hell do you live?

I probably am spoiled but I have 3 within 3 miles walking distance, one just a shade over a mile.

Is the kid set up to graduate?

Sounds like he is willing to put in the effort to do it.

How about a GoFundMe® account to get the kid through this?

I'll contribute.

He’s living at a teenage shelter right now and unfortunately has brought some of this on himself, but that’s unbelievablely kind brother. He has to want this for himself unfortunately at this point.

• Like 1