Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

Jolly Pumpkin in Detroit has a pizza that has candied pineapple on it. I like that a lot, definitely a different flavor than just the chunk of pineapple from the fruit cocktail can.

@NateDawg I've reverse seared some steaks, never smoked them. I'd be down

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JDD said:

Jolly Pumpkin in Detroit has a pizza that has candied pineapple on it. I like that a lot, definitely a different flavor than just the chunk of pineapple from the fruit cocktail can.

@NateDawg I've reverse seared some steaks, never smoked them. I'd be down

I smoke it until it’s almost ready. Just with salt and pepper. Then throw it on for a reverse sear right at the end with some butter brushed on. It’s a great smoky steak. 

• Like 1

Pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, jalapeño is probably my favorite pizza topping combination, especially if the sauce is a sweeter brown sugar base. The spiciness from the jalapeño and sausage balance about perfectly.

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s probably about the 17th best pizza combination you can have. I’d eat it before I’d eat plain cheese pizza.

Believe it or not I’d rather have plain cheese over it. If the only pizza there was at a party was pineapple pizza I’d pick it off grab a napkin and sop off as much pineapple juice as I could. Save the pineapple for vanilla ice cream and have a dessert. 

16 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Anyone smoke food as a hobby? I love grilling but only started doing my meat in the smoker about a year ago. I don’t have anything high end like the Traeger or the BGE but I must say I I enjoy the taste of meat coming out of the smoker. 

Regularly.

Usually do an assortment of things to justify the use of the charcoal and wood chips.

A typical load will include a main item (e.g., Pork shoulder, smoked ham, ribs to finish off, beef brisket, turkey, etc.) and a variety of things to use all the space (e.g., A side of salmon or several trout, homemade sausage, mussels/clams, garlic, etc.).

Seasonally, I get a lucky candidate (e.g., Goose) every once in a while.

I use the same inexpensive two-stage smoker (New Braunfels) that I bought 20 years ago for $150.

I have refinished it a couple of times and lined the firebox with titanium alloy sheet to protect the steel.

The ham is exquisite. I got the idea from Heinen's , which sells a product called twice-smoked ham. I usually carve off some ham steaks for Sunday brunches, turn some chunks into ham salad, shave the rest for sandwiches and use the bone to make split pea soup.

Oh, and it's a great way to sit outside, have a couple (several?) beers and basically do mostly nothing for 2-3 hours...the hard work is in the prep.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Regularly.

Usually do an assortment of things to justify the use of the charcoal and wood chips.

A typical load will include a main item (e.g., Pork shoulder, smoked ham, ribs to finish off, beef brisket, turkey, etc.) and a variety of things to use all the space (e.g., A side of salmon or several trout, homemade sausage, mussels/clams, garlic, etc.).

Seasonally, I get a lucky candidate (e.g., Goose) every once in a while.

I use the same inexpensive two-stage smoker (New Braunfels) that I bought 20 years ago for $150.

I have refinished it a couple of times and lined the firebox with titanium alloy sheet to protect the steel.

The ham is exquisite. I got the idea from Heinen's , which sells a product called twice-smoked ham. I usually carve off some ham steaks for Sunday brunches, turn some chunks into ham salad, shave the rest for sandwiches and use the bone to make split pea soup.

Oh, and it's a great way to sit outside, have a couple (several?) beers and basically do mostly nothing for 2-3 hours...the hard work is in the prep.

Oh smoked turkey then make the gravy from the drip pan. Hunggg

• Like 1