Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

So we are building a 600 million dollar stadium in my city. Well a 450 million dollar stadium that costs 600 million now. For a city of 400k people. 

I will end up paying something like an extra 1k a year in regional taxes for this big stadium.

But then if I want to watch anything there, which will be an All Blacks game once per year.

7 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

You're watching a basketball game there?

Not cool Nude... Even if the timestamp doesn't match up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I'm just not sure why we are in such a rush to basically create a superior race that could make humans extinct.

I understand the nerds in silicon valley think it's breakthrough stuff and cool--but the impact it could have with further development is catastrophic 

We already have been shown a dire outcome in the Terminator series.

That won't stop the nerds in Silicon valley, probably with the support of the DoD, from moving full speed ahead.

Read a great quote in the WAPO when I lived in DC and some idiot published a classified "how to" build and deliver a nuclear weapon in a van to the White House:

"Our technological prowess has outpaced our philosophical grasp."

Was accurate then and is even more accurate today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Going to be a very busy week. Indiana got nailed by the equivalent of a category 2 hurricane.

So I flew back from Tampa to Columbus last night, the flight got delayed a bit because of this storm coming through. I assume it was the same one coming through Indiana/Illinois 

We were descending into Columbus and were basically just above the clouds where you could see the giant lightning storm that was happening. One of the coolest things Ive got to see.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

So I flew back from Tampa to Columbus last night, the flight got delayed a bit because of this storm coming through. I assume it was the same one coming through Indiana/Illinois 

We were descending into Columbus and were basically just above the clouds where you could see the giant lightning storm that was happening. One of the coolest things Ive got to see.

It reminded me of Mayfield, KY. NBC did an update on that city recently.

It’s going to take that community a very long time to rebuild.

I feel horrible for these people.

Edited by candyman93

That storm was gnarly last night. The lightning show was nice and something got smoked pretty close to the house because the thunder was very loud.

Glad the sump pump decided to quit working Saturday night and not last night

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

you want to make sure to get one with a battery backup.

ask me how I know…

I got a backup that stays plugged in but when power goes out it kicks on and is good for 48-72 hours on the battery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

you want to make sure to get one with a battery backup.

ask me how I know…

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I got a backup that stays plugged in but when power goes out it kicks on and is good for 48-72 hours on the battery.

So true, our batty lasts about 6 hours each so 12 hours (2 maintenance free batteries)

Our system runs all year long and all the time. I switch the pump out about every 2 years.

I'm going to install a water backup soon. I also want to get a whole home generator. I Think the generator would be great. I have a generator I can hook up but that is a pain and can only run the back up since I have the fridge plugged in, so the 3/4 HP main doesn't run

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JDD said:

So true, our batty lasts about 6 hours each so 12 hours (2 maintenance free batteries)

Our system runs all year long and all the time. I switch the pump out about every 2 years.

I'm going to install a water backup soon. I also want to get a whole home generator. I Think the generator would be great. I have a generator I can hook up but that is a pain and can only run the back up since I have the fridge plugged in, so the 3/4 HP main doesn't run

My in laws have a whole house generator. If I had a spare $5K I’d think about pulling the trigger tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

My in laws have a whole house generator. If I had a spare $5K I’d think about pulling the trigger tbh.

I don’t have the $5k for that right now. Vacation sounds better to me 

House should be paid off in less than a year (hopefully) so it might be something I get sooner than later. 

• Like 2