• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Anyone have Brees OLine stats this year? Feel like they are one of the best ever, any time I watch the Saints play he has alllll day. Not knocking him at all, just showing some appreciation for his line. 

Saints o-line is a beast this year.  There's no doubt about that.  They completely won their matchup with the Rams d-line.

Brees helps out his o line a lot also, by getting rid of the ball quick.  And Saints rarely throw deep in general.

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

@raidersedge I dont think its a slam dunk for Mahomes. It is going to come down to that MNF game against the Rams. If Goff outshines him and the Rams win and Goff continues to have the type of season he is having in which he is on pace to complete 68% of his passes for 5,006yds 40/12 AND the Rams have the best overall record and the 1 seed in the NFC. I think Goff can very well win the MVP. The reason why is quietly Goff is looking impressive against his counterparts. He looked better than Rivers Week 3 in a Rams win. He looked better than Cousins Week 4 in a win. He looked better than ARod Week 8 in a win. Even though the Rams didnt win Week 9 against the Saints, he had more passing yards and one fewer td than Brees and was the sole reason the Rams came storming back from down 21pts. Like everyone acknowledge the Saints winning BUT all Im hearing is people were impressed by how the Rams erased a 21pt deficit in the hostile environment in New Orleans and Goff was impressive leading that comeback. Like people remember things like that. Just like people said about Mahomes leading the comeback against the Patriots in New England in the 2nd half only to fall short. Again if Goff continues to look this good AND he outplays Mahomes on MNF and the Rams win and end up with the best record in the NFL with getting the 1 seed in the NFC, its not a slam dunk for Mahomes to win the MVP. Not saying he wont win but I believe it will be closer than you think. 

Of course nobody is forgetting about Brees. As of today Brees is 2nd behind Mahomes because of yesterday but Mahomes and Goff has the overall better numbers and I just cant see Brees winning it if he finishes with 4672yds 32/2. I know only throwing 2 picks is ridiculously awesome but with those yards and tds AND if the Saints finish with the 2nd best record in the conference or even not win their division if the Panthers catch them, I just dont see Brees winning. He will be in conversation but I dont think he wins.

You mentioned Goff completing 68% of his passes, but fail to mention that Brees is completing 76.6% of his passes.  Also if Brees continues on the same pace he would have 36 TDs, not 32, to go along with only 2 INTs.  Brees will likely end up throwing 5-7 picks by end of hte year, but I also think he will end up throwing more than 18 TDs (his current total) by the end of the year as well finishing around 40, as the run game continues to improve which will help open up more of the passing game for Brees, as well as the Saints hitting the tough part of their schedule with the Steelers, Atlanta, Philly, and Carolina x2.  It's going to be a very interesting race and I think Goff is, and has been, a distance 3rd in this conversation, which isn't to downplay the season that Goff is having, but the consistency, the lack of turnovers so far, just makes Brees the better option.

13 hours ago, Raves said:

Just going to be another MVP caliber season that Brees likely just doesn't get it because either his defense was historically bad or there was someone that had an equally MVP caliber season but had a slightly better team record.

Alluded to this very same thing yesterday and was arguing the same points. I truly do hope Brees wins it this year because I feel like it's his best/only shot---next year, someone like ROdgers or Brady will light it up.

I'm scared for his defense though (as per usual). 

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

You mentioned Goff completing 68% of his passes, but fail to mention that Brees is completing 76.6% of his passes.  Also if Brees continues on the same pace he would have 36 TDs, not 32, to go along with only 2 INTs.  Brees will likely end up throwing 5-7 picks by end of hte year, but I also think he will end up throwing more than 18 TDs (his current total) by the end of the year as well as the run game continues to improve which will help open up more of the passing game for Brees.  It's going to be a very interesting race and I think Goff is, and has been, a distance 3rd in this conversation, which isn't to downplay the season that Goff is having, but the consistency, the lack of turnovers so far, just makes Brees the better option.

Yeah my bad he is on pace for 36tds. I think its going to be interesting for Brees because I believe if Brees couldn’t win it the years he thrown for 5000yds and 40tds now but his team didn’t have the best record overall or in the NFC. If the Saints finish again without the best record overall or in the NFC again he doesn’t have 5000yds passing or 40tds like it will be interesting if he can win it. That was the argument for LeBron last season over Harden in the NBA but Harden won because his team ended up with the better overall record and his overall stats was better than LeBron. But if you dive deeper LeBron stats was really good. He even had a month were he averaged a triple double. That’s how good LeBron was last season but his overall stats wasn’t better and his team wasn’t overall better record wise or seeding wise than Harden. That’s how I will look at Brees come end of the season when compared to Mahomes or Goff.

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

Alluded to this very same thing yesterday and was arguing the same the points. I truly do hope Brees wins it this year because I feel like it's best/only shot---next year, someone like ROdgers or Brady will light it up.

I'm scared for his defense though (as per usual). 

maybe, but I think the new guard is showing up. mahomes, goff, and another young QB will take off. brady is probably past his MVP seasons, and Rodgers doesn't look like 30 year old Rodger anymore.

1 minute ago, Asciimo said:

maybe, but I think the new guard is showing up. mahomes, goff, and another young QB will take off. brady is probably past his MVP seasons, and Rodgers doesn't look like 30 year old Rodger anymore.

Maybe. But the point is, it seems like every time Brees has an MVP like season he gets over looked just because someone else has a historically great season and/or are playing on a team with one of the highest win %. Not saying the voters were or were not incorrect but Brees always just seemed to have bad luck.

As I said earlier, if we had to cast a vote today then nobody should be voting for anyone other than Mahomes.  Period.  Dude has the most yards passing, the most TD's, the second-highest rating, the third highest YPA (second if you take out FitzMagic), and the only real blemish is the 7 INT's (which is kind of OK when you've got 29 TD's to go with them).  Brees is close, no doubt, but the MVP of right now is Patrick Mahomes.

The thing is, there is still an entire half of the season left to go, and there are several players in with a chance at the MVP when all is said and done.  Brees of course is right there, as I just mentioned.  Goff's numbers are also very good and likely to get even better in the second half.  Rivers' YPA is 9.1 and he has 19 TD's to just 3 INT's.  Ditto Matt Ryan, who also has thrown for the third most yards, has a 115.1 rating, and a 71% comp percentage.  And there are also non-QB's to consider such as Gurley, Kamara, Donald, Hunter, etc.  

Point is, there's a lot of season left to be played and its still way too early to start crowing an MVP just yet.  As I said, the first half MVP is Mahomes, but who will the second half MVP be?  Its a good race...

I don't think the biggest threat to Mahomes MVP contention will be the INTs, I think it would be losing the wrong games. KC has two huge games left on the schedule, against the Rams and the Chargers. The Rams game doesn't actually matter that much for team standings, but it will be a very high profile matchup. The Chargers game could well decide the division depending on how each team takes care of business elsewhere. And that one is a Thursday night game, if I remember right. So two primetime games against great teams with potential MVP candidates of their own. Wins and good showings in those two games could practically cement his status. On the flip side, losses could do the opposite, and could even lose the division race, which would really take him out.

I only think the INTs weigh him down if they get memorable or significant. Something game losing would hurt. But most of his INTs have just been insignificant. Either in games too comfortable to matter, or as long last play of the first half kind of situations. New England had the only INT that really mattered to the game result in a negative way, but he played so well after it that it kind of washed it away in terms of public perception.

Agreed, I don't think INT's will be his undoing if he doesn't win MVP.  Though if he tosses another 7 the rest of the way and finishes with 14 that could hurt, especially if other guys like Brees, Rivers, Ryan, etc only have 5-6.  But I agree that the real threat to him winning is KC's season going bad for whatever reason.  If they end up losing the AFCW that could really hurt.  He also could very well still hit a cold stretch (like most QB's do at some point) and that too could allow others to catch up or pass him.  

4 hours ago, Asciimo said:

So what you’re telling me is Gruden is trading all 5 of our first round picks and Derek Carr for Aaron Rodgers?

13 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Mahomes looks like he's the MVP right now. However, Brees and Ryan both deserve to be in the conversation as well. All three are playing out of this world right now.

Ryan is not in the conversation with that team record. I agree he’s playing just as well as Brees though and not getting enough recognition.

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Ryan is not in the conversation with that team record. I agree he’s playing just as well as Brees though and not getting enough recognition.

ryan isnt winning unless they win the division which would require the saints to lose some games they shouldnt. the dark horse in this is rivers, chargers are right there among the best and his play has been A+. 

If it ended today: Mahomes and runner up, Brees. Still half the season left roughly. I think Goff can launch himself into the discussion if Rams beat Chiefs and finish with a better record. After Gurleys start, teams are looking to stop Gurley and Goff has been putting up borderline All Pro numbers.

Archived