How much longer will the Patriots be the Patriots?

CKS97

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

And then the Dolphins draft the next Tom Brady and the Bills and Jets suffer 40 years of no division titles. 

Nah Danny Etling is going to lead the Patriots to 5 more Super Bowls and through for 5,000 yards like seven times.

3 hours ago, Master of Suspense said:

If anyone will be running that division the way the Pats have the last 20 years, it will be the Jets with Sam Darnold. 

Lol nope. No one has owned their division like Brady and Bill have. Greater QBs than Darnold have not won their division multiple times. See Big Ben, Rivers, Rodgers, etc

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

As long as Brady is under center and BB is prowling the sidelines the Pats will continue to rule that division.

This. It will never, ever be duplicated again by any Division. Period!

We'll see multiple undefeated seasons  before this is ever duplicated again over a 20 years span! That's how unlikely it will occur.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

This. It will never, ever be duplicated again by any Division. Period!

We'll see multiple undefeated seasons  before this is ever duplicated again over a 20 years span! That's how unlikely it will occur.

I dunno Manning was pretty consistently beating up the AFCS, and Montana and Young kept the 49ers at #1 for a while too. It's rare to see a HC and QB stay together for as long as Brady and BB, but it's not exactly unlikely.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

I dunno Manning was pretty consistently beating up the AFCS, and Montana and Young kept the 49ers at #1 for a while too. It's rare to see a HC and QB stay together for as long as Brady and BB, but it's not exactly unlikely.

You just named the two closest you could think of and BOTH pale in comparison to the absurd numbers the Brady/Belicheck combo has put up the past 2 decades! Pale!!!

• Like 2

Are we really sure that the Patriots are still the Patriots THIS season?  They are still a really good football team that will finish with double-digit wins and a home playoff game(s) again, but this NE team just doesn't seem as intimidating to me as in years past.  Let's not overvalue the win over the Packers Sunday night; GB is not a very good football team and are prone to bad mistakes which NE always takes advantage of.  I just think that the aura of the "unbeatable" Pats may already be over and none of these guys are getting any younger.  Maybe they do win another SB this year and make me eat these words, but my point here is that I actually wouldn't be shocked if they didn't even get to the SB this year and that is NOT something I've ever really felt before (except 2008 of course).

15 hours ago, Danger said:

Brady has been pretty average this season.

13th in passer rating.
13th in yards per game.
12th in completion percentage.

He seems to have started the decline, slightly. I'll give them one more year after this frankly.

That's more a sign of the times than anything else.

Brady's completing 68% of his passes with a passer rating of 98. Both are ridiculous numbers, historically. It's just passer rating is bloated this year thanks to Mahomes, Goff, Brees and Rivers having insane seasons. I wouldn't say Brady has declined at all, going by the eye test. In fact, if an injury hit WR corps hadn't dropped 5 passes that turned into INTs his rating would be up there with the league leaders.

What's going to hurt that Pats this year is Gronkowski's decline, not Brady's. He's been a shell of his former self.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

That's more a sign of the times than anything else.

Brady's completing 68% of his passes with a passer rating of 98. Both are ridiculous numbers, historically. It's just passer rating is bloated this year thanks to Mahomes, Goff, Brees and Rivers having insane seasons. I wouldn't say Brady has declined at all, going by the eye test. In fact, if an injury hit WR corps hadn't dropped 5 passes that turned into INTs his rating would be up there with the league leaders.

What's going to hurt that Pats this year is Gronkowski's decline, not Brady's. He's been a shell of his former self.

Well one would think that if numbers across the board are changing that Brady's should increase as well. His numbers are slightly down in a year where things are looking better for passers than ever. He's still a good QB, but there is certainly reason to believe the decline might have started.

8 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Are we really sure that the Patriots are still the Patriots THIS season?  They are still a really good football team that will finish with double-digit wins and a home playoff game(s) again, but this NE team just doesn't seem as intimidating to me as in years past.  Let's not overvalue the win over the Packers Sunday night; GB is not a very good football team and are prone to bad mistakes which NE always takes advantage of.  I just think that the aura of the "unbeatable" Pats may already be over and none of these guys are getting any younger.  Maybe they do win another SB this year and make me eat these words, but my point here is that I actually wouldn't be shocked if they didn't even get to the SB this year and that is NOT something I've ever really felt before (except 2008 of course).

You’re overselling it.

I mean they are still way better than the 2011-2013 Patriots. Or the 06 Patriots. They also beat a legit Super Bowl contender in the Chiefs and also beat the Bears. 

They beat the one team in the AFC that is most likely to stop them. They’ve also been improving every week. 

I waa more shocked that the 2011 team made the Super Bowl or that the 2013 team was within one game of it than this team making it.