2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Rumour has it Tashaun Gipson from the Jags might be cut, 28 years old, worked with Pettine in Cleveland in 2014, that year he had 6 picks and went to the pro bowl. Would like that pick up if he is dumped.

Could also be worth offering a late round pick to secure Gipson before GB is competing with 30 other teams.

I think Gipson is due around $7M for 2019.

Edited by squire12

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Rumour has it Tashaun Gipson from the Jags might be cut, 28 years old, worked with Pettine in Cleveland in 2014, that year he had 6 picks and went to the pro bowl. Would like that pick up if he is dumped.

Interesting player.

Dont know him, so checked his stats.
He played 13 games in 2015 - 16 games each of the last three years - so he's been relatively healthy - good.
The INT arc is interesting: 6 in CLE/2014 (which is awhile ago in NFL terms...) - then a drop off: 2,1,4,1 - 2015 thru last year. Dont know the JAX D scheme (outside of a decent pass rush....) but would like to see the INTs higher with such a decent rush. Nice 7 passes defended last year indicates he stays around the ball and makes plays on it - ala Breeland - good. Decent / consistent tackle stats.

All that said - he'll be 29 before next season and we probably wont offer on him in lieu of drafting somebody - but was fun learning something about him.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Interesting player.

Dont know him, so checked his stats.
He played 13 games in 2015 - 16 games each of the last three years - so he's been relatively healthy - good.
The INT arc is interesting: 6 in CLE/2014 (which is awhile ago in NFL terms...) - then a drop off: 2,1,4,1 - 2015 thru last year. Dont know the JAX D scheme (outside of a decent pass rush....) but would like to see the INTs higher with such a decent rush. Nice 7 passes defended last year indicates he stays around the ball and makes plays on it - ala Breeland - good. Decent / consistent tackle stats.

All that said - he'll be 29 before next season and we probably wont offer on him in lieu of drafting somebody - but was fun learning something about him.

He also aided in Jermichaels career coming to an end. 

I wouldn’t mind him at the right price though.

10 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

Kareem Hunt is drawing interest from teams.

does Gute pursue him?

Doubt it. Personally, my reason for not pursuing has nothing to do with the incident, rather its because we have about 10 positions on our roster that need a lot help hefore RB and we dont have $100 million to spend. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Doubt it. Personally, my reason for not pursuing has nothing to do with the incident, rather its because we have about 10 positions on our roster that need a lot help hefore RB and we dont have $100 million to spend. 

I don't think Hunt is going to get paid big .. he's going to get a prove it deal, or at minimum a deal with behavior clauses and incentives.  He's probably looking at a 6-8 game suspension next year ... would give us an exceptional option in case injuries strike Williams and Jones.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't think Hunt is going to get paid big .. he's going to get a prove it deal, or at minimum a deal with behavior clauses and incentives.  He's probably looking at a 6-8 game suspension next year ... would give us an exceptional option in case injuries strike Williams and Jones.

I would definitely look into him but I’m also concerned with how quickly the Chiefs cut him... if this felt entirely out of character for him would they have moved on so quickly? The video showed poor judgement but I’m not going any deeper than that, that argument is for a different platform. I’m not flagging him solely for that video!

30 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I would definitely look into him but I’m also concerned with how quickly the Chiefs cut him... if this felt entirely out of character for him would they have moved on so quickly? The video showed poor judgement but I’m not going any deeper than that, that argument is for a different platform. I’m not flagging him solely for that video!

i suspect the issue was the chiefs knew about an incident but hunt lied to them repeatedly. Probably after they said "Hey Kareem, if you're lying to us and something more happened and we find out you're done" and he said "no, not at all. I swear I didn't!"

Then probably Reid stared him down over his mustache and said "ok, Kareem. We believe you."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Golfman said:

Do you think he could wait at 15 and make that splash and still get Murray? 

If our guy is sitting at 12 we need to stand pat. I'd only trade down if the elite pass rush studs are all gone. That refers to both defensive linemen and EDGE rushers. 

I don't think he'll be on the board at 15, but it could change.  Right now, you have NY Giants (6), Jacksonville (7), and Denver (10) as teams inside the top 10 who figure to be in the market for QBs.  Then you have Miami (13) and Washington (15) outside the top 10 who are probably in the market for QBs.  I'd be willing to bet at least two QBs go in the top 15.

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Agreed... I don't see Hunt getting more than 1 year and like a prorated 2M based on games played

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

So, uh, people really are down for Kareem Hunt, huh?

Yikes

You don't think society would be a lot worse if people with one instance of violence weren't able to land another job again?

Seems like that would just perpetuate the problem.

I can simultaneously be disgusted by something someone did and be ok with them having a job.

Just now, incognito_man said:

You don't think society would be a lot worse if people with one instance of violence weren't able to land another job again?

Seems like that would just perpetuate the problem.

I can simultaneously be disgusted by something someone did and be ok with them having a job.

There's a difference between Kareem Hunt should never have a job again and Kareem Hunt should never have a job in the NFL again. Don't make a strawman argument.