2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Just now, incognito_man said:

does berry have anything left?

I suspect I'd be sooper excited if we signed him because I've heard his name before

Tough to say, basically sat out all last year. I love the mental EB has. Coming back from an achilles is still a nightmare though.

Glad Allison is going to be back and think I've seen enough of Brice to not miss him. That just wasnt working out. Cut bait and move on.
I think Campbell will get okayed to return and hope we snag a good Safety prospect in this draft :

Deionte Thompson

PROS: Size, length and speed are impressive. Physical and athletic safety prospect with excellent closing burst on routes breaking in front of him. Plays fast and aggressive. Constantly looking to get in on the action, typical Alabama mindset to dictate terms as a tackler. Has the radius to get runners to the ground by wrapping up outside his frame. Will lower the boom when given the opportunity. Can seamlessly adjust his angle to the ball on the fly. Flashes of range in his single high work. Overall fluidity and movement skills to be ideal in man coverage (limited reps on tape). Allowed just one catch in first career start vs. Clemson in the CFB playoff, which he was millimeters from intercepting. Didn’t surrender anything in coverage vs Georgia in national title game.

CONS: Technique and mental processing are still coming along. Can be quicker to recognize route combinations in his zone. Can get pulled away from his zone by the quarterback’s eyes. Can’t forget to go through his run reads before getting depth as a deep safety. At times is a little out of control as a tackler and can stand to throttle down some.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Coverage - Has all the physical traits to excel in man coverage in terms of quickness, long speed and fluidity but still needs some consistency with mirroring and anticipating routes. Played a ton in the slot in 2018 and he did well to handle physicality in the contact window and at the top of routes. Highly effective short zone defender with an astute understanding of spacing. Excels at reading the backfield and squeezing throwing lanes.

Tackling - Night and day difference from 2017 to 2018. Love how quickly he commits to attack downhill and explode into contact. Can stand to improve his wrap up technique as he often looks to chop down ball carriers. Contact balance and power is excellent when he is square.

Processing - Diagnoses plays rapidly and is highly instinctive when playing forward against the run and quick game. Understands his keys, commits in pursuit and takes good angles. Needs to become more consistent recognizing routes in man coverage to make him a more effective when mirroring. Spacing and technique in zone is outstanding.

Ball Skills - Does well to read the backfield, track the football and close which leads to opportunities at the catch point to disrupt in zone coverage. More consistency anticipating route breaks should lead to more chances to break on the football when he is tested in man coverage. Has shown the ability to finish and there were times on tape that the ball found him. To his credit, he stayed engaged and made the play.

Range - Has outstanding range and takes astute angles to the football. Sees the field well and gets ahead of blocks. Finds his way to the ball and plays off and around contact effectively. Click and close ability is exceptional.

Physicality - Was often tasked with slot duties, playing close to the line of scrimmage and showcased and urgent and physical style of play. Regularly used as a pressure player. Holds his own in the contact window and at the top of routes with receivers/tight ends that invite contact. Good hitting power and contact balance.

Play Speed - Plays fast in terms of processing and movement although there is some variance in terms of processing accuracy. Can cover considerable ground and rapidly close down distances. Has the quickness and speed to match steps in man coverage.

Flexibility - Fluid and twitchy. Smooth mover with clean transitions and rapid change of direction ability. Dynamic ability to plant and drive. Explosive mover with no hesitation or segmentation.

Versatility - Can fill multiple roles for a defense. Reps in single high revealed a reliable centerfielder with good range and the ability to track the football. Short zone coverage skills are excellent. Has all the physical ability needed to win in man coverage. Love how he processes and attacks the run.

BEST TRAIT - Versatility

WORST TRAIT - Variance

RED FLAGS - None

Personally - I like the read on CGJ

Edited by Leader