Do the Eagles win the Super Bowl last year with Wentz?

patriotsheatyan

Do the Eagles win the Super Bowl last year with Wentz?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Eagles win the Super Bowl last year with Wentz?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, they don’t even make it

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The idea that Wentz>Foles so yes he wins is ridiculous. 

Foles was damn near perfect that game... The same Foles that once threw 7 TDs in 3 qrts of football iirc. Foles clearly has it in him to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

We have no clue about the game plan, or even the pressure, would have changed Wentz's game. Maybe the Eagles pass more? Maybe the Pats pick up on a tendency?

The idea is Wentz increases a teams chances to win in general.  The game flow with Wentz would be entirely different, but it is silly to assume that could only benefit the Pats and not the Eagles.

He COULD have played as well as NF, but probably wouldn't have, considering that was the greatest QBing performance we've faced...maybe ever?

If we're assuming Pats do exactly the same on O and D, I'm going to say no. Brady torched their D, and we were all waiting (even BB was) for NF to do SOMETHING to hand us the initiative. But it never happened. One of the games you just have to hold your hand up and say - we done everything, and more to win - but he's bettered it. 

13 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

When was the last time an MVP-caliber QB goes down and the career backup ended up winning the SB? 

It doesn’t happen very often and for good reason.

Maybe the Eagles team was just really good and really well coached? I highly doubt the one playoff loss Foles had 4 years prior really was the difference maker in that playoff run.

If Foles is a career backup then so is Steve Young,  Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, Roger Staubach, and others.

Its meaningless prattle to call him a backup. (Young may have been the 2nd best QB in the NFL but he was also the 2nd best guy on his team)

• Staubach was a part time starter meaning he was a backup when not starting
  • Bradshaw was the backup to start the 1974 season.
  • Cunningham was the backup to start 1998
  • Foles was the BACKUP to start his 119 rating season AND before he dominated the 2017 playoffs.
  • Brady was the backup in 2001
  • Aikman was a healthy backup for the Lions playoff game in 1991.
  • Warner was the backup in preseason 1999 until Green got hurt.

Clowns talk like the 32 NFL starters are picked like the kickball team at recess based solely on merit instead of a group of players who have been drafted and manipulated from 32 GMs.

• 2017 Bortles > 1987 Young because Bortles was not a BACKUP, right?
  • Osweiler is clearly better than Foles because he got more starts this year?

Throwing backup around without context like its an insult is lame.

• Maybe the Eagles were really good and well coached in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2008.
    • That did not mean McNabb could just show up and win.
  • Anyone think the Bills from 1990-1993 were not really good and really well coached?
    • All I know is that the BACKUP wiped the floor with the starter when you compare their playoff performances.
  • Young and Aikman just flipped a coin in 1992, 1993, and 1994 as to who would win the Super Bowl because both teams were very good and well coached.
    • It obviously had nothing to do with their performance on the field those 3 days, right?
  • Maybe the 15-1 Packers were all that in 2011, but no one gave the Super Bowl to Rodgers.
  • The Cult of the Rams knows that they had all that last year and Goff could not win a home playoff.

There is one word that explains why Foles won that Super Bowl. That word is greatness.

It may not be the long term greatness of a Brady or a Montana but it is the greatness of a 1998 Davis or a 1990/1998 Cunnigham, or a 2017 Wentz.

There are lots of Hall of Fame players who have not achieved the heights of Nick Foles in 2013 and 2017.

Maybe he has had 3 separate displays in the Hall of Fame because he got to throw to Riley Cooper, Jason Avant, Torrey Smith, and Nelson Agholor, right?

• I confuse all of them for Antonio Brown on a regular basis.
  • Oh yeah, 2017 Alshon Jeffrey was 34th in yards and 45th or so in average per catch
  • DeSean Jackson had his best season with Foles, but everyone wins with DJ, right? :ph34r:

Go ahead and make your fake news Foles backup jokes though, just like the fools who lost their shirts betting against him last year.

9 hours ago, KellChippy said:

The idea is Wentz increases a teams chances to win in general.  The game flow with Wentz would be entirely different, but it is silly to assume that could only benefit the Pats and not the Eagles.

Wentz has scored more than 33 points 6 times in 36 career starts.

I'm not sure how he increases the Eagles chances to win a game that Foles already won.

This is one of those "what-ifs" that's really impossible to answer IMO.  Wentz is a really great young QB and is unquestionably more talented than Nick Foles, but the run Foles had in the post season last year was simply stunning and I really do feel that Wentz would've been extremely hard-pressed to have performed as well as Foles did (especially in the SB).  So many Eagles fans fell into the trap of "Well we won the SB with Nick Foles so imagine how unstoppable we will be once Carson gets back" but they neglect to realize that it would be almost impossible for Wentz to match what Foles did in the playoffs last year, no matter how talented he is.

All that said, Wentz was the best QB in the NFL last year before he got hurt so its certainly not impossible that he could've won the SB for the Eagles.  I just think that it shouldn't be so easily assumed that because he's Carson Wentz that he would surely have performed as well or better than Foles did, because Foles was an absolute assassin in the playoffs last year.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:40 PM, Blackstar12 said:

The Eagles miss Frank Reich. I remember many Eagles fans saying his departure wasn’t going to effect the Eagles Offense lol.

That's exactly what I thought last year when we lost Kyle Shanahan.  Sark has been a thousand times better as OC this year but last year Kyle's departure basically cost us another shot at the SB.  If we had had 2016's offense with last year's defense I think Atlanta may actually have won it all.

The Eagles' struggles this season really remind me of last year's Falcons team...

On 11/16/2018 at 10:01 PM, SkippyX said:

Wentz has scored more than 33 points 6 times in 36 career starts.

Does that matter when Philly led the league in points, TOP, and rushing ypg while Wentz played last year.  The Pats front seven was very weak, as was their secondary other than a few players.  The Jags scored at will until they stopped attacking.

I don’t think Wentz could match or out do  the plays Foles made in the specific situations he was in, but I think the game flow would be entirely different if he played.  I’m not positive if that would favor Philly or NE, but I am sure the Eagles offense is better overall and more versatile with Wentz.  

Foles is clutch. Wentz was the MVP last year but I really don’t know if he does what Foles does in that playoff run I mean the Atlanta game he just got by but he had back-to-back absolutely amazing performances and I think on those two particular Sundays Philly was better with Foles and not sure I’d bet on Wentz playing as perfectly has Foles did. 

On 11/15/2018 at 2:40 PM, Blackstar12 said:

The Eagles miss Frank Reich. I remember many Eagles fans saying his departure wasn’t going to effect the Eagles Offense lol.

The problem only confounded itself when once frank and flip left the eagles didn't actually replace them in anyway. 

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

The problem only confounded itself when once frank and flip left the eagles didn't actually replace them in anyway. 

Eagles fans last year were saying Pederson is the best offensive minds in football and even had him as the best coach in football after BB.  

We lost our OC and QB coach and we are even better on offense this year. So there’s more to it than just coaching 

Archived