Do the Eagles win the Super Bowl last year with Wentz?

patriotsheatyan

Do the Eagles win the Super Bowl last year with Wentz?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Eagles win the Super Bowl last year with Wentz?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, they don’t even make it

Probably because they would be facing the same teams with a better QB. They 100% won with Foles and it certainly isn't going to be that high of a number with Wentz, Joe Montana or Dan Marino in their prime or even the Madden version of Michael Vick so with hindsight if Wentz played they would be less likely to have won.

2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean I agree with what you are saying, but that seems to me that it would be more of an argument in favor of the Pats winning that game than it would be the Eagles. The Pats offense still probably torches the Eagles defense, and basically you are saying they have a much better gameplan against the Eagles offense if Wentz plays.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The Pats would've had a better chance of winning because they would've gameplanned to stop Wentz as opposed to Foles, who they just assumed would shoot himself in the foot repeatedly.

2 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The Pats would've had a better chance of winning because they would've gameplanned to stop Wentz as opposed to Foles, who they just assumed would shoot himself in the foot repeatedly.

I don’t know if their defense had the personnel to do that last year. Not with the way our o-line was churning.

I think defending Carson is harder to plan for, with Nick’s limited mobility.  Maybe he doesn’t make that throw to Clement, but I’ve seen him hit on similar throws. On the other hand he can make a lot of plays Nick can’t.

I would say yes because of the type of season he was having. With that being said, you cant undersell the importance of playoff experience. Wentz wouldve came into the playoffs with no experience. Foles came into last season with the one playoff experience he had back in I believe 2009 when he lost to Brees and the Saints in Philly. So again I think the Eagles still wouldve won the Superbowl with Wentz last season but having playoff experience is very important. We will see that with not only Wentz when he finally has a playoff start but also with Mahomes and Trubisky (if the Bears get in) this season. 

Obviously impossible to know for sure, but I’d hesitate to say that improving the QB position would make a team lose a game that they’d normally win. Now you can play with that a little to make it less true (for instance, if we switched Cam Newton with Big Ben because such and such team specifically struggles with mobile QBs), but I can’t realistically imagine Foles->Wentz being a downgrade.

It could - Foles played extremely well and maybe the Pats D does a better job vs a less experienced QB in Wentz, but if I had to pick I’d assume Philly still pulls it out.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Obviously impossible to know for sure, but I’d hesitate to say that improving the QB position would make a team lose a game that they’d normally win. Now you can play with that a little to make it less true (for instance, if we switched Cam Newton with Big Ben because such and such team specifically struggles with mobile QBs), but I can’t realistically imagine Foles->Wentz being a downgrade.

It could - Foles played extremely well and maybe the Pats D does a better job vs a less experienced QB in Wentz, but if I had to pick I’d assume Philly still pulls it out.

These numbers include every throw as Eagles QB in the regular season or playoffs:

Foles is 21-12 as an Eagles Starter. Wentz is 21-15

Foles has a 94.1 rating as an Eagles QB. Wentz has a 92.8 rating

Foles has 9 Game Winning Drives as an Eagle. Wentz has 3.

How exactly is Wentz improving on Foles and his 113.2 career playoff rating?

Foles had 6 TDs and 1 pick in the 2017 playoffs and the 1 pick was a great throw that was bobbled while the DB was grabbing Jeffrey's arm.

He made incredible throws into tight windows while scoring 31 points against the best D in the league and then out-dueling the GoaT the same way.

He goes 8-2 one year while winning a 9th game in long relief and he puts up a 119.2 rating and then walks off the field for the last time in a playoff game after taking the lead on Drew Brees.

He has possibly the second greatest Championship Game-Super Bowl combo in NFL History. (behind Montana 1989)

He does have the highest passer rating in playoff history (ignoring an idiotic must have 150 attempts rule)

• If you give him an extra 11 incompletions to go from 139 to 150 attempts, he is still #1.

Foles still gets treated like a scrub by the unwashed masses.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Obviously impossible to know for sure, but I’d hesitate to say that improving the QB position would make a team lose a game that they’d normally win.

When was the last time a QB who started the season ended up winning the SB in his first appearance in the playoffs?

edit: It doesn't happen very often and for good reason.

The idea that Wentz>Foles so yes he wins is ridiculous. 

Foles was damn near perfect that game... The same Foles that once threw 7 TDs in 3 qrts of football iirc. Foles clearly has it in him to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

We have no clue about the game plan, or even the pressure, would have changed Wentz's game. Maybe the Eagles pass more? Maybe the Pats pick up on a tendency?

9 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

The Eagles miss Frank Reich. I remember many Eagles fans saying his departure wasn’t going to effect the Eagles Offense lol.

I think they miss DeFillippo just as much. I know his stats are good but something doesn’t seem right with Carson this year

One of the first replies said it best. The absolute best Wentz could ever hope to do is match what Foles did that night. That’s an insanely high bar and realistically it’s more likely than not that you could take any QB (Rodgers, Brees, Prime Manning) and they would likely not have that game. Also I think there was value in less take on Foles.

And truthfully if they didn’t have Foles performance, they probably lose. 

So while I wont rule it out, it was unlikely 

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

When was the last time a QB who started the season ended up winning the SB in his first appearance in the playoffs?

edit: It doesn't happen very often and for good reason.

When was the last time an MVP-caliber QB goes down and the career backup ended up winning the SB? 

It doesn’t happen very often and for good reason.

Maybe the Eagles team was just really good and really well coached? I highly doubt the one playoff loss Foles had 4 years prior really was the difference maker in that playoff run.

Archived