16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

It's McDaniels or bust for me, don't want any college guys or defensive coaches. Lets hire McDaniels, retain Pettine, take back the North and grab the Owl!!!!

I'm almost right along with this -- really like the idea of McDaniels unlike others I don't care what he did to Indy nor do I care about what he did while he was in Denver. I care about what he's done with NE the past 9 years and what he could potentially do with grooming the heir apparent to Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Last up is publisher and editor-in-chief of Mile High Huddle, Chad Jensen:

The biggest issue with Josh McDaniels’ first go-round as an NFL head coach came down to power. Denver Owner Pat Bowlen gave McDaniels executive/personnel authority, which was too much for the inexperienced and immature coach.

McDaniels’ first order of business was to explore a trade for Denver’s former first round pick, Jay Cutler, who was coming off a Pro Bowl season in 2009. Cutler caught wind of the shenanigans, and the relationship with McDaniels and the Broncos deteriorated rapidly. Cutler was shipped to Chicago in exchange for a couple of first round picks, and quarterback Kyle Orton.

Alas, McDaniels squandered those picks, and the Kyle Orton experiment failed miserably in Denver. The franchise paid for McDaniels’ mistakes. During his tenure as head coach, McDaniels alienated every player in the locker room and most of his coaching staff, to the point that nobody was willing to fight for him.

By 2010, McDaniels’ second and final season, his message and vision had ultimately fallen on deaf ears because of how he treated people. My guess is that the he’s matured over the years, and hopefully has learned from his mistakes in Denver.

Any team who hires Josh McDaniels must guard against giving him too much power. There must be checks and balances for McDaniels, and in so doing, it should help him to become a more efficient head coach.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/19/patriots-josh-mcdaniels-smart-innovative-forward-thinking/1045462001/

Just one article but this sure doesn’t seem to be the case his players dislike him

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/19/patriots-josh-mcdaniels-smart-innovative-forward-thinking/1045462001/

Just one article but this sure doesn’t seem to be the case his players dislike him

I think it was more a case where the Denver payers didn’t like him much.  By all accounts, Patriots players like him.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

I think it was more a case where the Denver payers didn’t like him much.  By all accounts, Patriots players like him.

I think all of the bad stories are true about Denver I also believe people can learn from their mistakes. The NFL has changed no way in hell that a 32 year old gets 100% control today. In fact, 100% control is rare today. 

1 minute ago, Primo said:

I think all of the bad stories are true about Denver I also believe people can learn from their mistakes. The NFL has changed no way in hell that a 32 year old gets 100% control today. In fact, 100% control is rare today. 

I still can’t believe Pat Bowlin even did that.  I’m sure Josh wishes he hadn’t either, well, at least not the whole enchilada. It was an over-zealous mistake, but I’m sure he learned a lot from the experience.  I don’t hold his past against him.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Missing tackles, whiffing on sacks... How is that NOT on Pettine?  

Are you serious?? You're blaming Pettine for players missing tackles?? That would be like me blaming McCarthy for players dropping balls.

Get your head out of your you-know-what. My God. 

36 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Think I like the fit with NYJ better -- Feel him and Darnold's personalities would mesh really well.

Nah too much pressure in NY, that media and fanbase would crucify him if things don't go right. In Cleveland he'd be back with familiar faces, a better front office that will keep his rosters competitive year after year. They have a good young QB and a better overall roster than NY,  built to compete right way. Plus that fanbase would embrace him and show him so much love if he even wins a playoff game, heck they'd probably build a statue of McCarthy if he takes them to the playoffs. If he's successful in Cleveland he'll have the keys to the city for life. That city and fanbase are starving for a winner. The GB fanbase is spoiled if he wins a SB in Cleveland he'll become a God in that state almost Lombardi like status.

8 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Nah too much pressure in NY, that media and fanbase would crucify him if things don't go right. In Cleveland he'd be back with familiar faces, a better front office that will keep his rosters competitive year after year. They have a good young QB and a better overall roster than NY,  built to compete right way. Plus that fanbase would embrace him and show him so much love if he even wins a playoff game, heck they'd probably build a statue of McCarthy if he takes them to the playoffs. If he's successful in Cleveland he'll have the keys to the city for life. That city and fanbase are starving for a winner. The GB fanbase is spoiled if he wins a SB in Cleveland he'll become a God in that state almost Lombardi like status.

I'd love to see Mac win a SB for Cleveland.

Maybe the league is setting up a GB vs CLE SB sometime soon.

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Well, then let’s hope the new regime focuses on tackling.  For all the talk about “fundamentals”, there was nothing fundamentally sound about our defensive units tackling skills.

Unfortunately the players they practiced these few fundamentals with were mostly on IR Sunday.    This was the group you’d see in the fourth quarter of the Bishops Charities Game.  

3 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Unfortunately the players they practiced these few fundamentals with were mostly on IR Sunday.    This was the group you’d see in the fourth quarter of the Bishops Charities Game.  

Then let’s hope the new regime makes tackling a team-wide priority, and not just for starters - who by the way, also have tackling issues - but I suspect those “starters” may not be on this team next year.

16 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Then let’s hope the new regime makes tackling a team-wide priority, and not just for starters - who by the way, also have tackling issues - but I suspect those “starters” may not be on this team next year.

Pad level, tackling, fundamentals were getting cleaned up for the last 5-8 years in GB.  I think you are forgetting that in nearly every GB post game presser

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Well then it's a good thing that McD and Gute are tight.

Are they?

I haven't read anything about this at all. 

I know you said you talked to your guy, but the way I was reading your comment at the time was, "It would have to be a Gute hire, because Murphy would have no intrestest", not an expression that Gute and McDaniels are close. 

Archived