16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/19/patriots-josh-mcdaniels-smart-innovative-forward-thinking/1045462001/

Just one article but this sure doesn’t seem to be the case his players dislike him

Everybody probably seems personable in comparison to Belichick. I don't worry about teams and locker rooms falling apart when they're winning. It's when the wins aren't coming that you need somebody in place that can bring people together. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Everybody probably seems personable in comparison to Belichick. I don't worry about teams and locker rooms falling apart when they're winning. It's when the wins aren't coming that you need somebody in place that can bring people together. 

This is true - and - players that havent tuned you out.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If he gets anywhere near the results in GB that Bill got in NE I don’t give a **** if he’s personable.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are they?

I haven't read anything about this at all. 

I know you said you talked to your guy, but the way I was reading your comment at the time was, "It would have to be a Gute hire, because Murphy would have no intrestest", not an expression that Gute and McDaniels are close. 

Murphy has never been anti-McDaniels as far as I know. I took those whispers I was told to mean that Gute was all-in on McDaniels if given the ability to make the call. Best description of the situation from what I've gathered is Murphy is doing due diligence and they're covering all bases. But unless something arises to cause alarm, Murphy is going to let Gute get his guy. After all, it makes sense to be thorough given what happened with JMD last year. What's out there in the public with regard to McD and Gute's relationship is that they both did homework on one another and nearly married up in SF. The picture I've had painted to me is that these two were sold on each other and if the opportunity arose, they'd jump at the chance to team up.

The tinfoil hat extrapolation of their connection would be that once Gute got the GB gig, it played a role in McD's willingness to walk away from the Indy job knowing full well the Packers job would his for the taking in one year's time. I'm not a big conspiracy guy but I do believe there's truth in there. I've had it said to me that the whole league knew going into 2018 that McCarthy was not surviving this season . And that was paired with being told matter of factly on 12/3 that McD was gonna be the hire has me believing at the very minimum that McDaniels had a future security blanket head coaching opportunity when and wherever Gute was hired. The stars aligned in Green Bay for this duo to pair up over the past 12 months.

5 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Murphy has never been anti-McDaniels as far as I know. I took those whispers I was told to mean that Gute was all-in on McDaniels if given the ability to make the call. Best description of the situation from what I've gathered is Murphy is doing due diligence and they're covering all bases. But unless something arises to cause alarm, Murphy is going to let Gute get his guy. After all, it makes sense to be thorough given what happened with JMD last year. What's out there in the public with regard to McD and Gute's relationship is that they both did homework on one another and nearly married up in SF. The picture I've had painted to me is that these two were sold on each other and if the opportunity arose, they'd jump at the chance to team up.

The tinfoil hat extrapolation of their connection would be that once Gute got the GB gig, it played a role in McD's willingness to walk away from the Indy job knowing full well the Packers job would his for the taking in one year's time. I'm not a big conspiracy guy but I do believe there's truth in there. I've had it said to me that the whole league knew going into 2018 that McCarthy was not surviving this season . And that was paired with being told matter of factly on 12/3 that McD was gonna be the hire has me believing at the very minimum that McDaniels had a future security blanket head coaching opportunity when and wherever Gute was hired. The stars aligned in Green Bay for this duo to pair up over the past 12 months.

That very well may be the sequence of events that played out since the Gutekunst GM hire in Jan 2018, McDaniels removing himself from the INDY job (though he could have not entertained that job given the process of GB being a spot in waiting)

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Obviously

The question is whether or not his personality is going to prevent him from getting those results. 

I feel like you're vouching for Philbin, Caldwell or Munchak with the whole locker room melding thing, but then everyone will want to kill Murphy if it's either one of them.

There's no way to know if Fitz, Flores or Lafleur could handle these situations either.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How long until you're having a power struggle then? 

Coaches will always need to have say in the draft and free agent processes

Course head coaches will have a say, they just shouldn't be making the picks or making the free agent deals. 

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I feel like you're vouching for Philbin, Caldwell or Munchak with the whole locker room melding thing, but then everyone will want to kill Murphy if it's either one of them.

There's no way to know if Fitz, Flores or Lafleur could handle these situations either.

I'm not in love with any of these guys. If they were great candidates, they wouldn't be unemployed. 

I'm just anti-McDaniels for a host of reasons.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/19/patriots-josh-mcdaniels-smart-innovative-forward-thinking/1045462001/

Just one article but this sure doesn’t seem to be the case his players dislike him

He’s liked in New England where he has very little power and not much say. In Denver his players hated him. His front office hated him. His assistant coaches hated him. He was a horrid personnel guy and event worse of a coach. Not often that franchises have to blow everything up and start from scratch and that is exactly what Denver had to do when they made themistake of hiring that POS. He was trash in Denver and he was trash this last off-season when he had no issue leaving a half dozen assistant coaches out on the street because they made the mistake of believing in lying piece of garbage. The guys been a huge failure in every single instance he wasn’t under BB’s thumb/ control (both Denver and St. Louis where his offense was the worst in the NFL... 32nd in points/ 31st in yards). I’ll lose a lot of repespect for the franchise if they decide that something like character doesn’t matter. As far as coaches go, there is no bigger scum bag In coaching than Josh McDaniels and he’s shown in on multiple occasions with his putrid treatment of player, coaches and front office personnel. 

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That very well may be the sequence of events that played out since the Gutekunst GM hire in Jan 2018, McDaniels removing himself from the INDY job

Indeed
And I posted that very thing back on page 105

It was right around the time MM was publicly pushing back on the idea of hiring Russ Ball as the GM
When McD answers questions about why he did Indy dirty, he says: "Its complicated"

Archived