16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

23 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You don't understand the economics of it do you? That, by the way is the same reason all of these 'power' conferences came into being, MONEY! You hate on ND because they are cashing in, big time, by being an independent and getting their own TV contract. 

Haters gonna hate! 

Got to go with Alex on this one.  No hater here ... if you don't want to join a conference, fine.  They play overall a much softer schedule yearly than most power 5 conference teams and this years ranking to get into the playoffs was a joke.  Ohio State and Georgia would have creamed them and the results from their playoff fiasco speaks for itself.

17 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Examples? I’ve never read/heard of it.

Yeah, I don't get it ... the Colts felt good enough about the guy to make him their head coach, and then the Patriots felt good enough about him to make him one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the league.  He must be a complete turd!  

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Got to go with Alex on this one.  No hater here ... if you don't want to join a conference, fine.  They play overall a much softer schedule yearly than most power 5 conference teams and this years ranking to get into the playoffs was a joke.  Ohio State and Georgia would have creamed them and the results from their playoff fiasco speaks for itself.

Have you seen Alabama's non-conference schedule? For the record, I do not think Notre Dame was a top 10 teams when it comes down to it. They went undefeated and beat some good football teams or at least they were thought to be good when they beat them. 

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Last up is publisher and editor-in-chief of Mile High Huddle, Chad Jensen:

The biggest issue with Josh McDaniels’ first go-round as an NFL head coach came down to power. Denver Owner Pat Bowlen gave McDaniels executive/personnel authority, which was too much for the inexperienced and immature coach.

McDaniels’ first order of business was to explore a trade for Denver’s former first round pick, Jay Cutler, who was coming off a Pro Bowl season in 2009. Cutler caught wind of the shenanigans, and the relationship with McDaniels and the Broncos deteriorated rapidly. Cutler was shipped to Chicago in exchange for a couple of first round picks, and quarterback Kyle Orton.

Alas, McDaniels squandered those picks, and the Kyle Orton experiment failed miserably in Denver. The franchise paid for McDaniels’ mistakes. During his tenure as head coach, McDaniels alienated every player in the locker room and most of his coaching staff, to the point that nobody was willing to fight for him.

By 2010, McDaniels’ second and final season, his message and vision had ultimately fallen on deaf ears because of how he treated people. My guess is that the he’s matured over the years, and hopefully has learned from his mistakes in Denver.

Any team who hires Josh McDaniels must guard against giving him too much power. There must be checks and balances for McDaniels, and in so doing, it should help him to become a more efficient head coach.

Not totally sold on McDaniels ... don't know much about him.  However, I do think he had way to much power as you provided in your post.  In Green Bay, he would just coach and Gute in charge of personnel.  It must be that way for any new coach coming in,.

28 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You don't understand the economics of it do you? That, by the way is the same reason all of these 'power' conferences came into being, MONEY! You hate on ND because they are cashing in, big time, by being an independent and getting their own TV contract. 

Haters gonna hate! 

I could absolutely be wrong here, but I swear I read ND joining the BIG would cause them a minimal loss when it comes to TV deals. 

Maybe it was the longhorn network re: Texas and Oklahoma joining the BIG 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Have you seen Alabama's non-conference schedule? 

Alabama has a conference, Notre Dame does not.  Point being, join a conference ... play the same teams every year and then see how good your program really is.

44 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

My concern with McDaniels is his loyalty. Even assuming he takes the GB job if offered, what would convince anybody into thinking he wouldn't try to hightail it the moment Belichick is done in NE and try to weasel his way there? McCarthy, for all his warts, at least truly loved and took pride in being the Packers coach. You always knew how much it meant to him and the responsibility he placed on himself.

That is a fair concern.  I think you have to cross that bridge when you come to it.  If McDaniels is a great HC and leads GB to the playoffs and after 3-4 years decides he wants to go to NE, it would still be a win for GB in success.  I would rather have that vs a Marvin Lewis type coach that is mediocre but willing to stay for 20 years.

Priority #1   Good to great coach that leads to playoff appearances

lower priority is someone that wants to stay for a long time.

I still think the whole Indy thing is WAAYYY overblown too.

Sounds like McD was in contact with the assistant coaches throughout. The timeline also see to be that he signed his contract and then backed out on the same day - so the assistants were in limbo for less than 24hrs.

Either way, our hiring staff will know the full story better than any of us and will make their decision with a full set of facts.

Just now, coachbuns said:

Alabama has a conference, Notre Dame does not.  Point being, join a conference ... play the same teams every year and then see how good your program really is.

Point being there is way too much revenue to lose by joining a conference. They by and large do play the same teams every year. Outside of the SEC there is one team from each conference who can have a chance. Ohio State, Oklahoma and Clemson. The Pac 12 has sucked for years now. 

18 minutes ago, Golfman said:

We agree regarding the NCAA and to an extend the Catholic Church. Clearly we agree on big government always being the problem, but you post was incorrect in it's intend towards Notre Dame. There is no denying that. They aren't in a conference because of money. The economics don't work for basketball so they are in the Big East. Atlantic Coast Conference 

Fixed it for you

47 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

My concern with McDaniels is his loyalty. Even assuming he takes the GB job if offered, what would convince anybody into thinking he wouldn't try to hightail it the moment Belichick is done in NE and try to weasel his way there? McCarthy, for all his warts, at least truly loved and took pride in being the Packers coach. You always knew how much it meant to him and the responsibility he placed on himself.

He would only leave if things go south, if he's taking this team deep into the playoffs year after year I'd have a hard time seeing that he would leave a winning franchise.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Pettine is completely uninspiring to me.  The sacks mean nothing to me.  We were ranked high in sacks AND interceptions in all of Dom's years, too.  

Missing tackles, whiffing on sacks... How is that NOT on Pettine?  

Watch a Patriots game.  You ever see a Patriot miss a tackle?  Look at the JAGS they have, and yet they're top 10 again this year.

I don't give a **** about scheme.  Scheme does not matter.  COACHING matters in the NFL right now.  

Pettine really showed me nothing, and I think all the praise is people wanting to see something that wasn't there.  

You are right about the tackling. I don't know when I've seen a poorer tackling team. And there have been some bad ones. They need to stop tackling donuts in practice and start tackling each other!

Friday - McDaniels interview

Saturday - Fly to New Orleans to interview Campbell

Sunday - Flores interview

How are we all feeling about the head coaching search so far? Are we liking Campbell or Flores? I would like to see us kick the tires on Toub, Richard and Zac Taylor.

Archived