NFL Nearing 5-year extension for Roger Goodell until 2024

Broncofan

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Honestly I'm shocked some of you haven't figured this out yet.  Goodell is exactly who the owners want him to be.  They wanted a law and order commish bc of the state of the league's reputation when they hired him and they have gotten exactly what they have asked for.  In addition they have seen the league grow in value exponentially.  All the while Goddell has been the one to take the hits publicly and the owners dont even have to field questions about any of it.  You are crazy if you think a single owner is unhappy with Goodell

Exactly.

And Roger is the point man with the advertisers and networks and they are the ones that want the squeaky-clean image for the game and the players. Its what Madison Avenue wants. Its what the Networks want. The NFL represents the single biggest source of income for the networks that broadcast games. 3 hours of commercials pimping products and the new shows they are putting out. Huge ratings. Huge ad dollars. Ad money is the cash cow and TV is The Decider. Roger is just the point man

What the owners want is directly related to what TV wants - because that's where they get their revenue. Every successful business on the planet caters to their largest customers.

The fans that bellow about Goodell just aren't very astute, he is merely a puppet in a much larger multi-billion dollar business. If you don't like the law and order approach , take it up with the people who really matter - advertisers and network bosses - the people who write the checks that fund this league.

And all of them are shielded by Roger. Puts a new spin on the NFL meme of "Protect the Shield"

15 hours ago, bananabucket said:

I don't think I've ever met a person who likes Goodell. 

Well, you wont meet me, and I won't say I like him, but I will say that I don't dislike him...and I'll share why.

Mr. Goodell is exactly what the owners want. A guy to make the decisions they want as a whole so they don't have to address any issues personally. So when any fan says, "I hate Goodell, they should actually say, "I hate the collective ownership of the NFL". I'll bet in private meetings they chuckle at the fact that NFL fans still put all the blame on the commish. 

Like Forge said in this very thread..."Not only that, but with all the lawsuits and such, we are never going back to 70's and 80's style football regardless of who the commissioner is. That's a snowball rolling downhill that has gotten too large to stop". The cat is out of the bag and it's not going back in. Concussions and their lasting effects, now known to all because brain scanning technology and thanks to the internet, are going to bring down the mighty NFL from it's lofty perch eventually if they don't at least show sincere efforts to address it.So if RG is commish during the time that the NFL actually makes a difference in the future of the NFL regarding concussions, then I will be pleased because I love this game, and if they dont adapt, kids will continue to move to other sports at a young age and the product will dwindle. 

As far as the NFL becoming flag football...just think about it. Most of these guys have the same effects after a Sunday game of having been in a car wreck. Flag football....what silliness. Take a physics course and learn what the difference is between a 218 pound linebacker hitting a 195 pound running back at 4.9 speed....and a 250 pound linebacker hitting a 220 pound running back at sub 4.5 speed. That massive increase in impact IS the difference between the average in the 70's and 80's...and today. I love big hits, and it is part of the game. But the human body can only take so much punishment, and the NFL is on the brink of punishing the body to it's maximum. That is why they started to exert changes in the last CBA. I think they did it wrong, but they will hopefully learn and correct it for the better in the next one.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I highly doubt if you injected jones and kraft with truth serum either is upset with the commish.  

I wouldn't. Even if they approve of him otherwise, both have gotten heated with him in the past for legitimate reasons... Kraft & Jones both want to win, their anger against the commish was legitimate. Unfortunately for them, two owners out of thirty-two doesn't mean much.

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I wouldn't. Even if they approve of him otherwise, both have gotten heated with him in the past for legitimate reasons... Kraft & Jones both want to win, their anger against the commish was legitimate. Unfortunately for them, two owners out of thirty-two doesn't mean much.

Probably, but these guys are businessmen first and foremost. They can compartmentalize emotional responses over good business decisions. 

Jerruh might be heated over 'Zeke, but it doesn't take much to remind him he's a billionaire thanks to what Goodell does for him on a daily basis. That's not changing over six games.

13 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Probably, but these guys are businessmen first and foremost. They can compartmentalize emotional responses over good business decisions. 

Jerruh might be heated over 'Zeke, but it doesn't take much to remind him he's a billionaire thanks to what Goodell does for him on a daily basis. That's not changing over six games.

I'm referring to the sanctions against the Cowboys for overspending in the uncapped year. But yeah, the Zeke thing too.

Like I said, they might be okay with Goodell from a business standpoint but I highly doubt either of them like the man.

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm referring to the sanctions against the Cowboys for overspending in the uncapped year. But yeah, the Zeke thing too.

Like I said, they might be okay with Goodell from a business standpoint but I highly doubt either of them like the man.

Business standpoint is all that matters between employer and employee. Which is what this dynamic is, ultimately.

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Didn't the NFLs ratings plummet last season. And we all knew why. And he did nothing to stop it and still isn't?

So you think the NFL owners know why the ratings plummeted and know Goodell did nothing about it and then extended him 5 years because they all love the idea of losing money?

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So you think the NFL owners know why the ratings plummeted and know Goodell did nothing about it and then extended him 5 years because they all love the idea of losing money?

I'm actually very confused about why they're tolerating it?

and I'm not sure they've actually lost any money yet. I could be wrong but I don't think any of their TV deals expired in the last year. But they probably are losing leverage in future negotiations 

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I'm actually very confused about why they're tolerating it?

Not like Roger Goodell can fine people for not watching the NFL on TV. What is he supposed to do? There's no easy fix for live TV ratings which are going to decline no matter what he does due to the fact streaming TV shows and other media will always compete for people's attention. Die hard fans will always watch it, but TV is slowly going away. 

If the NFL truly wants to address the ratings problem, streaming the games and coming up with a decent alternative to gamepass (I.E You pay 50$ to watch your division's games all year including the playoffs) 

Archived