The greatness of Saquon Barkley

Gmen

Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?

• Yes, that is pretty obvious
    • No, but I know now

I don’t think he was a wrong/bad pick at all. The best thing you can give a QB is a great running game and what better back is there to give you that than Saquon who can thrive behind a bad oline? Whoever the Giants bring in to be Eli’s successor will be set up very well imo.

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

Whoever the Giants bring in to be Eli’s successor will be set up very well imo.

Bingo - I've said it before, I'd take Drew Lock/Dwayne Haskins/Justin Herbert/Will Grier and Saquan over Allen/Rosen/Darnold and Bryce Love or the Memphis RB.

I'd also salivate at the thought of Ryan Tannehill or Derek Carr in this offense over any of the rookie QBs and nothing at RB. If Carr, Tannehill or Jameis Winston is a FA, the Giants are the clear front runners to get them, and the Giants suddenly turn into a scary team on offense.

41 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Wrong pick =/= Bad pick

I don't think many people thought Saquon would be a bad player. The concern was the value of a RB. Saquon's a monster but the Giants were essentially eliminated from playoff contention at midseason.

Who could they have drafted that would have made them not eliminated from playoff contention at midseason? 

The Giants are doing better than all the teams that took QBs after them other than the Ravens, and nobody thinks they should have taken Lamar Jackson at #3.

I wanted and thought the Giants wouldve taken Darnold. We shall see what the future holds because we know in the NFL you arent relevant unless you have a QB. I dont care if Barkley becomes the greatest back to ever live, if the Giants dont have a QB they arent relevant especially in the NFC East where the Eagles are one back away from being scary good with Wentz and if Dak can stay like he has been lately with Cooper to go along with Zeke and that defense the Cowboys are going to be very good too. And I didnt mention the Redskins because I dont know their QB situation with Smith moving forward but I still love Guice moving forward and their defense is really good too. 

Just now, ET80 said:

If Carr, Tannehill or Jameis Winston is a FA, the Giants are the clear front runners to get them, and the Giants suddenly turn into a scary team on offense.

I was going to say that it would also be the most expensive big 3 in NFL history as well once Barkley signed his first deal but then I thought about it and with the NFL's salary cap climbing like a malfunctioning rocketship it's honestly not that big of a deal. For now it would be a big QB and WR contract with a medium RB contract and by the time Barkley get's what will probably be the biggest RB contract in history, the WR and QB deals will be what average starts pull.

4 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I was going to say that it would also be the most expensive big 3 in NFL history as well once Barkley signed his first deal but then I thought about it and with the NFL's salary cap climbing like a malfunctioning rocketship it's honestly not that big of a deal. For now it would be a big QB and WR contract with a medium RB contract and by the time Barkley get's what will probably be the biggest RB contract in history, the WR and QB deals will be what average starts pull.

Yup - even a semi competent GM will be able to front load a deal for Carr/Tannehill/Winston, have the bulk of the cap hit early, and the QB+Odell will have made their money by the time Saquan is due his money.

Your ONLY issue is if Odell pulls a Darrelle Revis and holds out with 2-3 years (and no guaranteed money) left. Which is a possibility.

Outside of that, Derek Carr with these offensive toys could find his way back to MVP-like production. Checking down to Saquan or Evan Engram, deep shots to Odell or Shepard? 

Scary.

37 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Who could they have drafted that would have made them not eliminated from playoff contention at midseason? 

The Giants are doing better than all the teams that took QBs after them other than the Ravens, and nobody thinks they should have taken Lamar Jackson at #3.

Did you stop reading after that part you quoted or... ?

41 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Did you stop reading after that part you quoted or... ?

I read it.  I was responding to you saying the Giants being essentially eliminated from the postseason was reflective of the value of the RB position, and I’m asking what position/player they could have drafted that would have changed their odds.

I know you aren’t calling it a bad pick, I just didn’t see why them being eliminated from playoff contention has anything to do with it.  It’s not like any other player/position would have made a difference.  Barkley is as important as any other non offensive

Is it wrong for me to say, SaQuon is the Calvin Johnson of Runningbacks? We've seen big wide receivers, and fast wide receivers, but none of them had both to the degree Calvin Johnson did in one package. I'd say SaQuon is in the same conversation. 

Dude make cuts like LeSean McCoy, ran a 4.40 40 when he stumbled, and is 235 lbs. Not to mention he's a weight room freak. Setting multiple all time records for players at any position at Penn State.

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

I wanted and thought the Giants wouldve taken Darnold. We shall see what the future holds because we know in the NFL you arent relevant unless you have a QB. I dont care if Barkley becomes the greatest back to ever live, if the Giants dont have a QB they arent relevant especially in the NFC East where the Eagles are one back away from being scary good with Wentz and if Dak can stay like he has been lately with Cooper to go along with Zeke and that defense the Cowboys are going to be very good too. And I didnt mention the Redskins because I dont know their QB situation with Smith moving forward but I still love Guice moving forward and their defense is really good too. 

I find this particularly funny coming from a Rams fan because the Rams drafted their franchise running back before they drafted their franchise quarterback.  They took Gurley, then a year later they took Goff.  Say what you want about the value of running backs, but the Rams offense wouldn't be nearly as scary without Gurley.

The Giants didn't pass on Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning prospects to take Barkley.  There will be Darnold, Rosen, Allen types of quarterbacks coming along in 2019 and 2020.  When is the next Saquon Barkley going to be available?  I'd guess in the 2034 draft class.

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

Because it’s true. Having a “star” running back is a luxury not a need. I don’t care if he’s “generational”.

Also a successful running game is vastly overrated in terms of wins and losses

Your view is absent of so much information and context that it’s not even funny. 

Also here’s a worthy note, Saquon isn’t 2 down back. He’s a very good receiving back.

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I find this particularly funny coming from a Rams fan because the Rams drafted their franchise running back before they drafted their franchise quarterback.  They took Gurley, then a year later they took Goff.  Say what you want about the value of running backs, but the Rams offense wouldn't be nearly as scary without Gurley.

The Giants didn't pass on Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning prospects to take Barkley.  There will be Darnold, Rosen, Allen types of quarterbacks coming along in 2019 and 2020.  When is the next Saquon Barkley going to be available?  I'd guess in the 2034 draft class.

Actually the Rams did draft what they thought was their franchise QB in Bradford. He kept being a disappointment due to injuries and Fisher actually traded him way that year for Foles. Remember Foles had a cheaper contract and he was I believe 26yrs old 2yrs removed from that Pro Bowl season where he threw 27tds to 2ints and led the Eagles to the playoffs. Actually the two seasons before the Rams traded for Foles, he had a record of (14-4) as the starting QB. So the Rams thought they could build around a young QB who was finding his way entering his 4th season in the NFL. So thats totally different than having 37yr old QB in Eli and deciding to pass on Darnold. 

I do see your point though about the running back. I just feel like the Giants chose to go the route of putting more weapons to help Eli rather than starting to think about life without Eli. The thing is, it didnt happen this season because the Giants only have 5 wins to show for it and they still have a question mark about who is going to replace Eli who we know isnt the present or future success of the team.

Barkley is insane but I think it is too early to tell right now. As we all know, you need a quarterback to win games in this league and we don't yet know what Darnold, Allen, and Rosen will turn out to be. Just think of Goff and Wentz and their first years. Now one is leading a Super Bowl favorite and the other has a ring and would have most likely been MVP if not for injury.

Archived