Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

With the Richie signing who do you think is the weakest projected starter?

Wallner? Mauro? 

LB : Still have ?s but there are more options that could be starters.

DE : Who is playing opposite Ferrell?  Even highly drafted rookies do not always play up to the desired level.

TE : A lot of players but do not know if there is a competent starter in the bunch.

I am most concerned with TE and also most frustrated because it is the one weak area we could have solved the easiest.

I'm not that concerned by the TE position.

1, We have an improved WR group and also an improved RB group (at least from a receiving stand point), so we won't use TEs that much in the passing game as we used Cook last year. 

2, Gruden historically didn't use TEs as heavily as he used Cook last year, but as he showed last year he can really create opportunities for TEs and not just for Cook! Lee Smith had targets, Waller had opportunities. He will continue to give them opportunities in well schemed plays with all the WR and RB threats.

3, We have some guys with good potential. Willson is a good blocking TE, who can catch some. He can replace Lee Smith 1-1. Darren Waller is a freak and is pretty much comparable to Jared Cook IMO. He showed his speed and he showed that he can make the easy catches. It will be interesting to see whether he is able to make the more difficult catches, but I think he won't have to make many of those anyway. Moreau can be a solid contributor as a blocker early on and he has the ability to catch too. It remains to be seen, whether we carry 4 TEs to the final roster. If yes Carrier has the inside track because of his ST value IMO, but a guy like Swoope can also find a way with his athletic ability and reveiving ability to stick.

Overall I think we will see much less targets to TEs and we will have a solid group to man the position in a group effort. 

13 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

With the Richie signing who do you think is the weakest projected starter?

Wallner? Mauro? 

At first I thought it was a typo.  Now I need to inform you it's Waller.... Not Wallner

12 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

DE : Who is playing opposite Ferrell?  Even highly drafted rookies do not always play up to the desired level.

TE : A lot of players but do not know if there is a competent starter in the bunch.

I am most concerned with TE and also most frustrated because it is the one weak area we could have solved the easiest.

Here’s a quote you can read the whole article on the link.

No stunting Waller’s growth

The Raiders were content letting Jared Cook leave in free agency despite him being their best receiver last year. Darren Waller’s the main reason why, and he has shown playmaking ability during OTAs.

That was clear midway through Tuesday’s session when he hauled in an over-the-shoulder grab from Derek Carr. The Raiders quarterback quickly identified a favorable matchup outside with rookie cornerback Isaiah Johnson and threw a quick strike trusting Waller would win out. He did, bringing in one of a few nice plays made as the primary receiving tight end getting tons of first-team work that would’ve been unavailable with Cook around.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/antonio-brown-makes-it-look-easy-darren-waller-stands-out-raiders-otas

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Officially going to the Raider game in October in London. 

Let’s show the Bears who really won that trade and expose their QB for what he is, a very below average game manager. 

I move to San Diego in July 2019.  I'm looking at the games to see which one I'll want to go to.  I think we can take the Titans at home, so that may be the pick for the season.

So they should be releasing who will be on Hard Knocks fairly soon. If you had the choice would you want the Raiders on?

I would like to see them on. I want to see the position group meetings and see the players interact with each other and all the background stuff. I would prefer to see them next year to see the move to Vegas, but it might be hard to pass on them this year with the cast of characters they have. 

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Here’s a quote you can read the whole article on the link.

No stunting Waller’s growth

The Raiders were content letting Jared Cook leave in free agency despite him being their best receiver last year. Darren Waller’s the main reason why, and he has shown playmaking ability during OTAs.

That was clear midway through Tuesday’s session when he hauled in an over-the-shoulder grab from Derek Carr. The Raiders quarterback quickly identified a favorable matchup outside with rookie cornerback Isaiah Johnson and threw a quick strike trusting Waller would win out. He did, bringing in one of a few nice plays made as the primary receiving tight end getting tons of first-team work that would’ve been unavailable with Cook around.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/antonio-brown-makes-it-look-easy-darren-waller-stands-out-raiders-otas

I understand what they are saying but we let a top 5 TE walk for an unknown.  I am happy he can beat a rookie 4th rounder CB with no pads and no game experience but to trust this transition and say that is our guy is to much.  He could end up being great but every year we have players that showup in camp and are nothing when the season starts.  With this logic we did not need to draft Jacobs since we had Chris Warren who played great in preseason last year.  Just give the starting job to Warren and we could have drafted Sweat at 24.

Yes I do not care if it is coming from coaches or FO personnel.  If they were always right we would have an amazing draft every year.

Edited by drfrey13

36 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand what they are saying but we let a top 5 TE walk for an unknown.  I am happy he can beat a rookie 4th rounder CB with no pads and no game experience but to trust this transition and say that is our guy is to much.  He could end up being great but every year we have players that showup in camp and are nothing when the season starts.  With this logic we did not need to draft Jacobs since we had Chris Warren who played great in preseason last year.  Just give the starting job to Warren and we could have drafted Sweat at 24.

Yes I do not care if it is coming from coaches or FO personnel.  If they were always right we would have an amazing draft every year.

That is a pretty cynical and bland outlook. What you say is true but it's also true that young players excel all the time when given the opportunity. We have a few on this offense already in Richard and Tyrell WIlliams.

18 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is a pretty cynical and bland outlook. What you say is true but it's also true that young players excel all the time when given the opportunity. We have a few on this offense already in Richard and Tyrell WIlliams.

I just think the prudent thing would have been to sign a known quantity to help the team.  If we were up against the cap then I understand having to take some risk with unknown players.  None of our TEs have the experience or production that warrants a starting position.  Now can they be that good? Yes, it is a possibility but it is not likely.  Cook could have easily been signed if it is about money and he was an amazing weapon last year.  If Gruden signed on to coach the Chiefs should he let Kelce walk since his system does not require a top TE?  Kelce is better than Cook but you do not let top talent walk when they can outproduce the contract they are looking for and especially if it is not a financial strain on the team.  Could have made Cook a priority before the free agency period and he would have signed.  He is on the record stating he wanted to come back.  Gruden says it is sickening to loss him and even called him the team MVP at one point.  If we had Jacobs, Cook, AB, and Williams I would feel much better and even put us top 10 in O weapons.  No way teams can shut down all four.  Much easier to shut down 3 though.  Waller/Moreau/Wilson will receive very little attention and should have good production if they are starting material.  AB/Williams/Cook could all have had 1000 yd seasons together and 100+ targets each.  Gruden's system spreads the ball around but our lack of talent and injuries caused us to spread it around to much.  550-600 pass attempts is a likely number for next year.  AB - 150, Cook - 100, Williams - 120, RBs - 100.  That leaves 80-130 targets for another 4-6 receivers.  That would be a good distribution.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:45 PM, drfrey13 said:

I’m hoping the young guys emerge Cabinda, Coney, Lee or Morrow 

Edited by Humble_Beast