LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

zone blocking is zone blocking

I'm not saying its rocket surgery, but I've read elsewhere that there are indeed nuances to the way its taught and deployed.
Why were you advocating for a veteran OL coach vs a guy "learning on the job" if its all the same ? 
Not challenging you PR,  I genuinely want to learn more about it and appreciate you sharing your insight

15 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm not saying its rocket surgery, but I've read elsewhere that there are indeed nuances to the way its taught and deployed.
Why were you advocating for a veteran OL coach vs a guy "learning on the job" if its all the same ? 
Not challenging you PR,  I genuinely want to learn more about it and appreciate you sharing your insight

The techniques are probably universally taught, but it's how you teach it. I'm not sure how the Packers do it but the teams I've been apart of your OC is going to practice plan the team periods, but all your indy stuff is on the position coaches. So I want a vet in that role that's planned practices his whole career, that knows the drills he needs to run and can correct anything wrong he sees. Veteran groups like we have are the hardest to coach, especially ones that have seen a pro like Campen coach them up their entire careers. If you get a guy in here that's going through an understandable learning curve as a first time coach, a vet line like ours might not be patient with him.

I wonder if they're considering Getsey as a QB coach? he was a former college QB at Akron after all. So far we have not been linked to a potential QB coach. I would be surprised if he chooses to leave his coordinator job just to go back to his old WR job, there must be an upgrade lined up for him to even make him consider coming back, that's why i'm thinking QB coach.

I'm surprised at this rumor though because I thought LaFleur wanted to bring in his own guys and get rid of McCarthy's guys. If we hire him we would essentially be keeping three McCarthy guys on our offensive staff, that's 50% of the offensive staff.

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

I wonder if they're considering Getsey as a QB coach? he was a former college QB at Akron after all. So far we have not been linked to a potential QB coach. I would be surprised if he chooses to leave his coordinator job just to go back to his old WR job, there must be an upgrade lined up for him to even make him consider coming back, that's why i'm thinking QB coach.

I'm surprised at this rumor though because I thought LaFleur wanted to bring in his own guys and get rid of McCarthy's guys. If we hire him we would essentially be keeping three McCarthy guys on our offensive staff, that's 50% of the offensive staff.

Sirmans, Getsy and Ang have been apart of other staffs a lot longer than ours. No one calls LaFleur a "Vrabel" guy.

The Mac guys we got rid of were a decade + with Mac.

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The techniques are probably universally taught, but it's how you teach it. I'm not sure how the Packers do it but the teams I've been apart of your OC is going to practice plan the team periods, but all your indy stuff is on the position coaches. So I want a vet in that role that's planned practices his whole career, that knows the drills he needs to run and can correct anything wrong he sees. Veteran groups like we have are the hardest to coach, especially ones that have seen a pro like Campen coach them up their entire careers. If you get a guy in here that's going through an understandable learning curve as a first time coach, a vet line like ours might not be patient with him.

This doesn't really answer the question, but as a coach I know that you get what you emphasize.  

43 minutes ago, Cheech said:

This doesn't really answer the question, but as a coach I know that you get what you emphasize.  

“But at what expense, Lois? At what expense?”

I mean, what do I know, but as a fan I watched opposing offenses run crisp plays against us and was envious of the self-evident coordination between design, teaching, practice and implementation. I’m willing to accept that I just didn’t notice our own sparkling play designs these last few years, and I can also accept that our own offense might have been a science project that depends upon multiple players recognizing the defense and mutating pre-snap.

I just look forward to watching something fun and different on offense. As long as 12 buys in, why shouldn’t that be what we get?

Archived