Nathaniel James Hackett - Packers Offensive Coordinating Coach

incognito_man

57 minutes ago, craig said:

Not to be a negativist, but I believe these were volume stats, as opposed to per-snap stats?  What I'm thinking here is that team had a REALLY strong defense. When the defense is forcing tons of 1-2-3-punts, the offense gets a lot more cracks at it?  And maybe with good field position?  

I think the stats reflect the roster and an offensive squad thats getting things done - running the ball first (and second) - throwing on 3rd downs.

"In 2017, Hackett’s only full season calling plays in Jacksonville, the Jaguars finished 1st in rushing (Fournette) - 17th in passing (Bortles) - , 6th in yards and 5th in points... "

I think their 2017 results may be a combo of good personnel going up against a less than challenging schedule. Harder schedule in 2018? Not so good results.

I've just realised that both of our coordinators were also the 2013 Bills coordinators.

Suddenly I don't feel good about that icon_lol.gif

If LaFleur is smart he will be patient and raid the playoff teams to fill out his coaching staff. He needs to ensure that our standard of coaching remains high. Filling the coaching staff full of coaches from purgatory teams is a disaster waiting to happen.

23 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No.  Results are the only thing that matters, and you should be able to make chicken soup out of chicken you know what.

I haven't read all of the thread, but it should be pointed out that Jacksonville lost Allen Robinson, Allen Hearns and Mercedes Lewis to free agency last year. I can't even name one receiver on that team.  So, as bad as people like to make Bortles out to be, he had nothing much to work with past season.  Same goes for Hackett.  

24 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

After Mac for the past dozen years, having two younger high energy guys teaching a new system on offense will be quite the shock to the system for that side of the ball.

I mean, what do I know, but I never really liked the way Mac reported on his INstalls—as he called them— like a math teacher who cared more about what he taught than what his students learned. 

17 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

from McGinn:

"In 2017, Hackett’s only full season calling plays in Jacksonville, the Jaguars finished 1st in rushing, 17th in passing, 6th in yards and 5th in points.

Hackett brings elements of his father’s deep roots in the West Coast passing game together with Jon Gruden’s alterations of Mike Holmgren’s system and Marrone’s play-action passing attack "

The Jags offense was 9th in points/game. They lead the league in defensive TD in 2017. They also forced tons of turnovers so I assume the offense had decent field position. Still pretty good to be a Top 10 offense with that personel. 

1 hour ago, Chinaski_86 said:

The Jags offense was 9th in points/game. They lead the league in defensive TD in 2017. They also forced tons of turnovers so I assume the offense had decent field position. Still pretty good to be a Top 10 offense with that personel. 

They had the 2nd most drives in the league. They were 14th in points per drive. 

They were 12th in average starting position (I need to come up with a better stat than this.)

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

They had the 2nd most drives in the league. They were 14th in points per drive. 

They were 12th in average starting position (I need to come up with a better stat than this.)

Can't both be taken into account in a stat that measures actual points per drive vs expected points per drive? Something similar to your punt study - your starting position dictates your expected points and then you measure whether you outperform that expectation and by how much.

from Packers.com, more on Hackett

https://www.packers.com/news/five-things-to-know-about-nathaniel-hackett

"As Bortles’ QB coach in 2015, Hackett helped the former first-round draft pick set single-season franchise records for passing TDs (35), passing yards (4,428), and completions (355), including 72 completions of 20-plus yards. Bortles’ 35 TD passes made him just the third NFL QB age 23 or younger to throw for that many scores in a single season, joining Miami’s Dan Marino (48 in 1984) and Detroit’s Matthew Stafford (41 in 2011). In 2017, Bortles hit the 60-percent completion mark for the first time and was sacked a career-low 24 times "

19 hours ago, Chili said:

I've just realised that both of our coordinators were also the 2013 Bills coordinators.

Suddenly I don't feel good about that icon_lol.gif

If LaFleur is smart he will be patient and raid the playoff teams to fill out his coaching staff. He needs to ensure that our standard of coaching remains high. Filling the coaching staff full of coaches from purgatory teams is a disaster waiting to happen.

Without looking it up, name 5 offensive players on that roster.

Archived