Raiders Defense

Rolni

Wonder if there is a nose tackle out there in free agency or on someone practice squad. Hankins is good, but he is a big man. I’m sure he gets gassed, and we have no other NT. Also we could use another NT if we just wanted a run stop package. Seem like a simple no brainer move. There has to be run stuffing 1-2 down  NT out there. I like those little depth moves, can’t be overlooked. If we didn’t make moves like this, we wouldn’t have Waller. 

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Wonder if there is a nose tackle out there in free agency or on someone practice squad. Hankins is good, but he is a big man. I’m sure he gets gassed, and we have no other NT. Also we could use another NT if we just wanted a run stop package. Seem like a simple no brainer move. There has to be run stuffing 1-2 down  NT out there. I like those little depth moves, can’t be overlooked. If we didn’t make moves like this, we wouldn’t have Waller. 

I still wish we would've kept Anthony Rush last season over Corey Luiget, who did absolutely nothing for us. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Pass defense chart so far this season. 

Behind LOS: 21/25 (84%)

1-5 yards: 24/31 (77%)

5-10 yards: 4/13 (30%)

10-20 yards: 15/26 (57%)

20+ yards: 1/5 (20%) 

Nearly 70% of the completions we've given up in the first three weeks have been 5 yards down the field or less. 

I would say it is more because the QB's/teams we faced rather then our strong play deep...

J.Allen and Mahomes will tourch us and the numbers will look even worse...

26 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I would say it is more because the QB's/teams we faced rather then our strong play deep...

J.Allen and Mahomes will tourch us and the numbers will look even worse...

Possibly. But Cam was 12/17 on passes between 10-20 yards and 4/4 on passes 20+ yards down the field against the Seahawks last week. And went 3/6 on passes between 10-20 yards and 0/1 on passes 20+ yards down the field against us. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Geezy said:

Defense played well in the 1st half, seems they gassed in the 2nd. 

That's a reason maybe for poor performance but to me it doesn't excuse the results. No. 1 they need to do a better job getting the opposition O off the field to get a breather and No. 2 if they are really that gassed from barely 20 minutes work then we need to work on some serious conditioning. At some point the excuses are just that IMO. 

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Well we did face 2 Top 4 RBs. No excuse against New Englands whack *** RBs though...

I think you're under estimating the NE run game, as most do and have done for several years. They don't have stars but their OL is good and the backs are good system players, they also have the threat of Newton which opens things up a little.

I'm not excusing the bad run D however 😁

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We've been terrible the last two years and look even worse this season. The biggest issue that I have with Gunther that I've had with him his entire time here is that he just really lacks creativity with how he attacks offenses. We were 31st in blitz % in 2018, 24th in blitz % in 2019, and 25th in blitz % through 2 games in 2020. In terms of pressures (a combination of sacks, hurries, and QB hits) we ranked 32nd in 2018, 30th in 2019, and 31st through 2 games in 2020. 

You can attribute some of that to lack of talent in the last two years but what's his excuse this year? We've spent 3 1sts, 1 2nd, and 2 4th round picks on defensive players the last two drafts and have invested $130M on free agents like Littleton, Joyner, Collins, Kwit, Nassib, and Collins. We're not even somewhat respectable through 3 games going against the Panthers with a rookie HC and a new QB, the Saints with a regressing Brees and without their best player, and the Patriots with a new QB and limited weapons on offense. 

I agree with you here, not many twists, few blitzing and when he does we usually make something happen. why do we always get these fairly unaggressive/creative DCs. 

best game I've seen him have was vs KC last year. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Pass defense chart so far this season. 

Behind LOS: 21/25 (84%)

1-5 yards: 24/31 (77%)

5-10 yards: 4/13 (30%)

10-20 yards: 15/26 (57%)

20+ yards: 1/5 (20%) 

Nearly 70% of the completions we've given up in the first three weeks have been 5 yards down the field or less. 

That's good to see those stats, it basically reinforces for me the opinion that actually our cornerbacks have been pretty good so far. Mullen has looked really good to me, excellent coverage, keen and decent in run defence. Arnette has been feisty, prepared to come down and be active in run support and his coverage looks good with one or two lapses in concentration, to be expected. Joyner has done a decent job too and Lawson is usually pretty tight in coverage and is an excellent tackler.

The front 4 really seems to be an issue which needs to improve. Every year I seem to be pulling for a high round dominant DT and every year I'm a little disappointed!!!

IMO I am seeing a scheme that the players are not buying into. I have to watch the all 22 but we're not even seeing the double A gap from PG. That is the staple of the Zimmer defense. PG needs to go and if you want to have a chance at the playoffs he needs to go as soon as possible.

I bet you anything if this keeps up. His sorry *** will be fired during the bye week

Gruden has to stop being buddies buddies and make the easy decision 

Edited by agarcia34

Another encouraging stat from our defense so far. We've only given up 32 catches for 412 yards (12.8 ypc) and 1 TD to WR's through the first 3 weeks. If you remove Anderson's big play we've only given up 31 catches for 337 yards (10.8 ypc) and 0 TD's to WR. 

We've also limited 3 of the top WR's in the league, holding Moore to 4 catches for 54 yards, Sanders to 1 catch for 18 yards, and Edleman to 2 catches for 23 yards. 

The bad news is that we've been absolutely terrible limiting RB's and have given up 93 touches (carries and catches) for 667 yards and 7 TDs. 

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

IMO I am seeing a scheme that the players are not buying into. I have to watch the all 22 but we're not even seeing the double A gap from PG. That is the staple of the Zimmer defense. PG needs to go and if you want to have a chance at the playoffs he needs to go as soon as possible.

I bet you anything if this keeps up. His sorry *** will be fired during the bye week

Gruden has to stop being buddies buddies and make the easy decision 

We almost never blitz, our corners play 10 yards off every play, and we never get creative with how we move our DL around. On like 110 pass attempts this season we've only blitzed 16 times. It's clear that our defensive line has really struggled to create pressure so far this year so what would any competent DC do? They'd get creative and blitz more to try and create some pressure. What does Guenther do? Stick to his guns and run a scheme that has not worked here at all. 

We'll probably get trashed the next two weeks by Allen and Mahomes, so hopefully that'll be enough to finally let him go. 

One encouraging thing though is that it looks like Gruden hired Marinelli as a potential in season replacement for Guenther.