Raiders Defense

Rolni

6 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

5. Vontez was actually good in the 4(?) games he played for us

Frankly, I thought he was borderline great for us while he played. Dude has his issues for sure, but he was a very talented football player. Losing him was a huge bummer. I think he was a tone setter and positioned to be our D captain. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Frankly, I thought he was borderline great for us while he played. Dude has his issues for sure, but he was a very talented football player. Losing him was a huge bummer. I think he was a tone setter and positioned to be our D captain. 

He was the only player that understood Guenther's complex scheme, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't think Philon is at his listed 286 anymore. Hankins is supposed to be 340. I'd say Philon is the backup 1T. Dickerson is huge too.oz9fskj4d94pbherznsv.jpg

Hankins looking very svelte like and Philon looks a very big unit. I think he figures to be our #2 NT and quite optimistic about him too. Even though Thomas is relatively small he's very strong and is a good run defender even inside so with those three plus Jefferson we shouldn't be terrible inside in run defence. No idea about Dickerson but Vickers is a penetrating type who hasn't been great against the run.

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Hankins looking very svelte like and Philon looks a very big unit. I think he figures to be our #2 NT and quite optimistic about him too. Even though Thomas is relatively small he's very strong and is a good run defender even inside so with those three plus Jefferson we shouldn't be terrible inside in run defence. No idea about Dickerson but Vickers is a penetrating type who hasn't been great against the run.

I can live with being a bad run d not dead last obviously. The league as is currently is stopping/limiting the pass and harassing the QB just look at the division supersede the rest 

42 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

I can live with being a bad run d not dead last obviously. The league as is currently is stopping/limiting the pass and harassing the QB just look at the division supersede the rest 

Oh, I don't disagree the league us obviously pass first but you still have to stop the run and I think that is where Hankins and Philon figure to feature most was all I was thinking about really. Looks like we're hoping for the outside pass rush to make up for any lack of explosiveness inside.......... we'll see how well that pans out I guess!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, I don't disagree the league us obviously pass first but you still have to stop the run and I think that is where Hankins and Philon figure to feature most was all I was thinking about really. Looks like we're hoping for the outside pass rush to make up for any lack of explosiveness inside.......... we'll see how well that pans out I guess!

Didn’t know Philon was good in run stopping  

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Didn’t know Philon was good in run stopping  

Well, I guess he's pretty much an unknown right now with us but a few years ago he was a pretty solid DT. Solid is probably the word I'd use to describe him, don't think he's going to go wowing any of us but he shouldn't be a liability either and might surprise......... I believe his career was derailed by an erroneous charge or something similar.

30 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Well, I guess he's pretty much an unknown right now with us but a few years ago he was a pretty solid DT. Solid is probably the word I'd use to describe him, don't think he's going to go wowing any of us but he shouldn't be a liability either and might surprise......... I believe his career was derailed by an erroneous charge or something similar.

an ideal backup DT

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Philon is more similar to Vickers than he is to Hankins.

"My style of play, I'm more of a penetrating defensive tackle," Philon said. "Basically be a wrecking crew."

1 hour ago, Fracta said:

Philon is more similar to Vickers than he is to Hankins.

"My style of play, I'm more of a penetrating defensive tackle," Philon said. "Basically be a wrecking crew."

Yeh, I wasn't comparing him to Hankins really, just commenting on him looking bigger than Hankins in the photo, though that may be perspective. I thought I remember him being pretty stout but that was a few years ago of course. He played against us a few times I think but maybe I'm confusing him with another Charger. I might be wrong but I thought he was more a run stopper with a little bit of ability to push the pocket rather than an out and out smaller, quick rotational rusher which is how I see Vickers.

20 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, I wasn't comparing him to Hankins really, just commenting on him looking bigger than Hankins in the photo, though that may be perspective. I thought I remember him being pretty stout but that was a few years ago of course. He played against us a few times I think but maybe I'm confusing him with another Charger. I might be wrong but I thought he was more a run stopper with a little bit of ability to push the pocket rather than an out and out smaller, quick rotational rusher which is how I see Vickers.

I'm really hopeful that competition gets something out of our DT group. If Ferrell can get it done inside, I think between Philon/Jefferson/Vickers/Thomas (maybe), we can have a better inside rush than last year. Yannick will add enough to the edge group with Maxx that we just need 1-2 of those guys to emerge and we'll be able to have a fine 4 man rush.