Raiders Defense

Rolni

I been very optimistic about this defense since Gus was hired and I think this defense can be good if the secondary steps up. They're the key to the defense. I have no worries about the defensive line. The push at DT is gonna be there for once and Crosby and Yannick just need to stay healthy and the rush from the outside will be there.  Easily the best LB core we have had and will get better with Morrow coming back and Kwit becoming a depth piece instead of the starter. Need Mullen, Hayward and Hobbs to play well and the back end coverage to be there. Excited to see how this plays out. 

33 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I been very optimistic about this defense since Gus was hired and I think this defense can be good if the secondary steps up. They're the key to the defense. I have no worries about the defensive line. The push at DT is gonna be there for once and Crosby and Yannick just need to stay healthy and the rush from the outside will be there.  Easily the best LB core we have had and will get better with Morrow coming back and Kwit becoming a depth piece instead of the starter. Need Mullen, Hayward and Hobbs to play well and the back end coverage to be there. Excited to see how this plays out. 

Plus Arnette and Amik are backups and both have looked good. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Arnette take over for Hayward if Hayward falters.

Something to keep in mind: It’s not like they were 4-12 either. They were 8-8 with a considerably worse defense(with question marks all over the defense)

I would say this year the questions are..

1. Trevon Moehrig-how good is he particularly at open field tackling and how well has he transition to single high safety?

2. How much more improved is Jonathan Abram in terms of discipline and football IQ(I like that he’s been quiet this off-season)?

3. What does Nate Hobbs look like in a regular season game?

4. Can Casey Hayward stay healthy?(Although I do like Damon Arnett to come in if he can’t)

Something I surprisingly don’t have a question about is will the defensive line improve because I 100% expect them to With all of the pieces they added both inside and outside. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jerry said:

I'm excited for sure, but I still want to wait until 4-5 games in before I start talking about how great our defense is.  People saying we have a roster capable of being in the 10-15 range is really pushing it.  I still think we're more likely to end up in the 16-24 range, and I would be so freaking happy if we somehow are in the top 16-19 range lol.  Just because we've been in the 20s and lower for like 18 of the past 20 years.

course all about production. but to see moves that make sense and talent added is nice. 17 works for me.

6 hours ago, Geezy said:

Feels good to finally feel like we will be competent on defense. Will probably take a bit to gel, but I have no doubt they will be better than last year. 

We literally just don't have to have the worst defense in franchise history and it's an improvement, lol. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I been very optimistic about this defense since Gus was hired and I think this defense can be good if the secondary steps up. They're the key to the defense.

100%

Casey Hayward has had a great career but he's older now and definitely took a step back last season. Mullen has been solid but we're implementing a new scheme, the rest of our secondary is boom/bust. Moehrig is a rookie that will have to be able to thrive in single high, Abram will have to thrive in a new role, and we'll need all of our other young DB's to step up as well. 

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

100%

Casey Hayward has had a great career but he's older now and definitely took a step back last season. Mullen has been solid but we're implementing a new scheme, the rest of our secondary is boom/bust. Moehrig is a rookie that will have to be able to thrive in single high, Abram will have to thrive in a new role, and we'll need all of our other young DB's to step up as well. 

I think Hobbs will be around league average as a nickelback. I can't expect more than that, but at least he tackles and can blitz. I am still wary about Abram. He has a ton of talent, but if he isn't disciplined he needs to get benched for Gillespie/Teamer. That being said, I hope he breaks out this year.

17 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I’m in the same boat. it’s all on the secondary

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Hobbs will be around league average as a nickelback. I can't expect more than that, but at least he tackles and can blitz. I am still wary about Abram. He has a ton of talent, but if he isn't disciplined he needs to get benched for Gillespie/Teamer. That being said, I hope he breaks out this year.

Yeah, I'm not super high on Abram but I think the fact that we cut Joseph and we haven't heard any negative reports about Abram during OTA or TC is a positive sign for Abram.