Raiders Defense

Rolni

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Chandler Jones? 

Will he have a bounce back year, he’s undoubtedly been a great pass rusher and we were expecting great things last year?

Is he on the slippery slope at the last year of his career and has lost more than a step, continuing to underwhelm and taking snaps away from the rookie?

Will he be rotated with Wilson more and more, does he take more of a back seat role as the rookie gets game time? 

Never will live up to contract 

will get a lot of minutes early because of who he is/was but will end being a overpriced place holder/player coach failed experiment. 

hoping the new young dl’s will push him but he just seems like a old vet on the decline

• Like 2

Will he have a bounce back year, he’s undoubtedly been a great pass rusher and we were expecting great things last year?

Is he on the slippery slope at the last year of his career and has lost more than a step, continuing to underwhelm and taking snaps away from the rookie?

Will he be rotated with Wilson more and more, does he take more of a back seat role as the rookie gets game time? 

We could get a productive season from him. It’s not uncommon for older DEs to have good seasons. It was apparent once we had a DT that was getting penetration in Tillery, he had more pressures and sacks.

With Wilson on the team he’ll play less snaps and be fresher. I expect Maxx to have a career year too with Wilson. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

We could get a productive season from him. It’s not uncommon for older DEs to have good seasons. It was apparent once we had a DT that was getting penetration in Tillery, he had more pressures and sacks.

With Wilson on the team he’ll play less snaps and be fresher. I expect Maxx to have a career year too with Wilson. 

I think you are putting to many eggs in the Wilson basket. He's raw and will need a year to acclimate. I could see him having a Crosby like rookie season. 

Maxx will have a career year because he's Maxx Crosby. I agree at some point Chandler will be on a pitch count as Wilson progresses, but that's likely late in the year.

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think you are putting to many eggs in the Wilson basket. He's raw and will need a year to acclimate. I could see him having a Crosby like rookie season. 

Maxx will have a career year because he's Maxx Crosby. I agree at some point Chandler will be on a pitch count as Wilson progresses, but that's likely late in the year.

Well I don't see why Wilson couldn't give us Aidan Hutchingson type numbers.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Wilson is not as polished a player coming out. Hutchinson was "pro-ready" whereas Wilson is considered raw and needs development. 

If he gets 9.5 sacks his rookie season, then arrow will point way up on him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Wilson is not as polished a player coming out. Hutchinson was "pro-ready" whereas Wilson is considered raw and needs development. 

If he gets 9.5 sacks his rookie season, then arrow will point way up on him.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

As long as Wilson doesn’t look like Clelin Ferrell rookie year it is a positive.

I think it is realistic Wilson has 4-6 sacks + pressures and help with run we will be improved DE rotation. Causing more attention away from Maxx and allowing both Jones and Maxx to not play as many reps is a positive we can hope for

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Hopefully Jones can start well and be a good mentor to Wilson so he can look to eventually force Jones out of the lineup. Not expecting much tbh, think he’s done. 

• Like 1

Barring a significant add, how do you think our CB room shapes up? We don't have the most talented group, but I expect to see 2 decent players end up being cut.

I think we end up keeping 6 guys and I see Hobbs and Bennett as our only locks.

Guys like Shelley, Long, Fayscon, Hall, Amik, and Sam Webb will be competing for the other 4 spots.

Edited by Justwinning
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Barring a significant add, how do you think our CB room shapes up? We don't have the most talented group, but I expect to see 2 decent players end up being cut.

Guys like Shelley, Long, Fayscon, Hall, Amik, and Sam Webb will be competing for the other 4 spots.

I think Amik is the guy that gets cut. Perhaps a trade 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

As long as Wilson doesn’t look like Clelin Ferrell rookie year it is a positive.

I think it is realistic Wilson has 4-6 sacks + pressures and help with run we will be improved DE rotation. Causing more attention away from Maxx and allowing both Jones and Maxx to not play as many reps is a positive we can hope for

Ferrell did not have a great season his rookie year but was in line with what you expect from Wilson.  He had 4.5 sacks but everyone forgets about him that year because of what Crosby did.  

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 3:07 PM, bucksavage1 said:

I think as you say, if we use him sparingly and use Wilson to spell him and keep him fresh we can probably optimise both players as I think we need to bring on Wilson gradually too. Jones is not a full time player now I don’t think if we want to get the best of him. That is my hope, especially if we can occasionally use Wilson inside as a rusher too. 

3 hours ago, Justwinning said:

I’m a little worried we have a bunch of average players and no real high quality players outside Hobbs potentially.

Amik makes mistakes but he can make plays so he’s always got a chance. 

Facyson was average to decent last time here so he’s a known quantity and should make the roster. 

Hall flashed and they seem to like him plus he’s really cheap. Good chance to make the roster as he can play inside and out.

Webb has a bit of versatility and the FO seemed to like him too. He’ll be on the bubble though I think.

Shelley had a good year last year and could be a surprise. If I’m optimistic about one guy it would be him.

Long I don’t know that much about, I’m not expecting much but could surprise.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I’m a little worried we have a bunch of average players and no real high quality players outside Hobbs potentially.

Facyson was average to decent last time here so he’s a known quantity and should make the roster. 

Hall flashed and they seem to like him plus he’s really cheap. Good chance to make the roster as he can play inside and out.

Webb has a bit of versatility and the FO seemed to like him too. He’ll be on the bubble though I think.

Shelley had a good year last year and could be a surprise. If I’m optimistic about one guy it would be him.

I appreciate the response and you make good points.

As for David Long, I think he's a guy that's been miscast with LAR, but was a solid CB prospect. Now he's expected to be in a scheme that better fits his skillset with Patrick Graham. To me, unless he balls out in camp, he's probably one of the odd men out of that group.

• Like 1

Long actually has the most tools out of all the guys we brought in decent size good speed top athletic profile.  Pff had him the 33rd best player when he got drafted. He fell into the 3rd round, had some highs and lows with the Rams a change of scenery might unlock his potential.

• Like 1