πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Cue the "salary cap is a myth" memes.

We have a lot of dead weight we can cut, but there's no team in the NFL right now that would be able to make the cap at $175 M if that were implicated for this season. I think there's going to be more flexibility than just a hard $40 M "You must cut down to this much"

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

We have a lot of dead weight we can cut, but there's no team in the NFL right now that would be able to make the cap at $175 M if that were implicated for this season. I think there's going to be more flexibility than just a hard $40 M "You must cut down to this much"

That isn't true.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/Β 

Colts, Patriots, Chargers, Jags, Bengals, Washington, Ravens, Cardinals, Seahawks, Bucs, Jets, Broncos, Giants, & Dolphins would all still be under the $175 cap.Β  That's nearly half the league.Β Β Now yes they'll need to re-sign people, but they can easily do restructures and small cuts to make that happen.Β 

Edit - I see you meant for this season, which isn't what the $175 is for.Β  Its for next season.

Edited by MKnight82

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They're going to have to do some major cuts.Β  I'm sure they'll do a few restructurings and such too but there's no way to cut $94 mil without cuts.Β Β 

Agree 100%.

Β 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Washington hasΒ about $100mm in cap space in 2021 if the 2020 rollover is included. Β There are other teams with a ton of cap as well. Β I think there may be a bit more flexibility than a hard cut to $175mm, but I don't think it'll be as helpful as you're hoping for teams that are in cap trouble.

I think there will probably be a ton of 1-year, heavily incentive-based deals given out next offseason. Β And also a lot of extensions given to star players to try to ease the 2021 cap hit. Β But that still won't be enough for some teams, who will have to cut good players they otherwise would have kept.

It’s gonna be tight, but with rollover and some obvious cuts it shouldn’t be too bad hopefully. Like Malik Jackson won’t be back.

I think the big thing will be how these rookie receivers do, because Alshon and Desean are goneΒ after this year.

I think the hardest one could beΒ Ertz getting traded, but he’s the most obvious restructure too.Β 

I think an obvious easy fix is talking to Carson, who took a discount deal early last year...toss him some more guarantees later on and shave off some of that nearly $35 mil. Especially if that helps him keep Ertz.

Really no one easy solution, but a bunch of smaller onesΒ that can get it done. The nice thing for us is a lot of the other good teams aren’t going to have a tonΒ of space to pay these guys the same. So they can either go to a worse team and make the same or stay and take a little less this year.

On 7/27/2020 at 2:40 PM, Kiltman said:

It’s gonna be tight, but with rollover and some obvious cuts it shouldn’t be too bad hopefully. Like Malik Jackson won’t be back.

I think the big thing will be how these rookie receivers do, because Alshon and Desean are goneΒ after this year.

I think the hardest one could beΒ Ertz getting traded, but he’s the most obvious restructure too.Β 

I think an obvious easy fix is talking to Carson, who took a discount deal early last year...toss him some more guarantees later on and shave off some of that nearly $35 mil. Especially if that helps him keep Ertz.

Really no one easy solution, but a bunch of smaller onesΒ that can get it done. The nice thing for us is a lot of the other good teams aren’t going to have a tonΒ of space to pay these guys the same. So they can either go to a worse team and make the same or stay and take a little less this year.

Dude its -$94 mil, its not going to be a few restructures and you're golden.Β  Its also going to be more like -$100 mil cause you'll need 6ish mil to sign draft picks.Β Β 

So lets start with -$100 mil.Β Β 

Lets lop off $30 mil in restructures.Β  -$70 mil

Cut Alshon, save about $8 mil.Β  -$62 mil

Cut Desean, save about $5 mil -$57 mil

Cut Marquise Goodwin, save $7 mil.Β  -$50 mil

Extend Derek Barnett, lower his cap hit from $10 to $2 mil year 1.Β  Save $8 mil.Β  -$42 mil

I don't see any other easy moves to lower the cap.Β Β 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/Β 

Doing anything with Ertz or Brandon Brooks really doesn't save ya'll that much money.Β Β 

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Dude its -$94 mil, its not going to be a few restructures and you're golden.Β  Its also going to be more like -$100 mil cause you'll need 6ish mil to sign draft picks.Β Β 

Extend Derek Barnett, lower his cap hit from $10 to $2 mil year 1.Β  Save $8 mil.Β  -$42 mil

Doing anything with Ertz or Brandon Brooks really doesn't save ya'll that much money.Β Β 

Rollover money. Cutting Malik Jackson. Restructuring Wentz, Cox. Ertz can be traded or resigned for a much smaller number.Β Β Cut or restructure Brandon Graham. Kelce retiring. It’s closer than you think.Β 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Rollover money.

That's currently only $22 mil and you might spend some of that before this season is over.Β 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Cutting Malik Jackson

According to spotrac that only saves the Eagles $1 mil and costs them $12.6 in dead money.

4 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Restructuring Wentz, Cox.

In my post above I already gave you $30 mil in restructure savings.Β 

6 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Ertz can be traded or resigned for a much smaller number.Β 

Trading Ertz only saves $4.7 mil.

6 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Brandon Graham.

According to spotrac cutting Graham only saves about $700k and costs the Eagles $17.2 mil in dead cap.

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Kelce retiring

Retiring doesn't remove guaranteed money from a team's cap.Β  Cutting Kelce actually costs the team $1.7 mil, I assume him retiring would cost the team the same.Β  HimΒ retiring actually hurts your cap.Β Β 

10 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

It’s closer than you think.Β 

It really isn't.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It’s really all that can be done, with dead money they are kinda stuck. A lot of obvious cuts wouldn’t save them all that much.

Its going to have to be a large concerted effort to keep the team together. It’ll fall on guys like Carson to decide wether or not they want to be Β really competitive next year.Β 
Β 

You’ll potentially see some moves like say Brandon Graham, they add years, guarantee his money and stretch it. Which they would’ve tried anyway as he would reach that old rotational vetΒ stage.Β 
Β 

Like I said no one solution, it’s going to be piecemeal,Β only thing the Eagles have going for them is not a ton of good teams are going to have a ton of space. I’ll have to go through the list, but a lot of the core of our team seemed more wired to take less and compete – rather than go to a crappy team and get a deal about where they were at.

We’ll probably see some of it start this year if the season ever gets going.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:52 AM, MKnight82 said:

The Eagles have a projected -$54 mil in 2021 salary cap space based on an originally projected $215 mil salary cap:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/Β 

The NFL just announced the cap for 2021 will likely be $175 mil.Β  That would have the Eagles entering that offseason with -$94 mil in cap space.Β  Discuss.Β Β 

1.) OverTheCap isn't always as accurate as Spotrac. Use Spotrac.Β https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

2.) 175 million was just the lowest it could go according to Schefter. It could be a bit higher.

But, yes, obviously we are going to have to do some restructures,Β cut, and/or trade some players to make it work.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

15 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Malik Jackson can also be cut as well.Β 

If we cut him like any other player he would count as just under 1 million in cap savings which wouldn't make sense.

We would have to make him a Post-June 1st designation like Alshon which would make it 10 million cap space saved.

And, I just googled and found out teams have a limit of 2 players for the designation, so that would work.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

That's currently only $22 mil and you might spend some of that before this season is over.Β 

According to spotrac that only saves the Eagles $1 mil and costs them $12.6 in dead money.

In my post above I already gave you $30 mil in restructure savings.Β 

Trading Ertz only saves $4.7 mil.

According to spotrac cutting Graham only saves about $700k and costs the Eagles $17.2 mil in dead cap.

Retiring doesn't remove guaranteed money from a team's cap.Β  Cutting Kelce actually costs the team $1.7 mil, I assume him retiring would cost the team the same.Β  HimΒ retiring actually hurts your cap.Β Β 

It really isn't.

I like you, bro. But you’re just speculating over internet numbers.Β 
Β 

On Malik:Β 

β€œIf they don’t exercise the option, the $2.4 million is added to Jackson's $7.6 million 2020 base salary, creating a $10 million base salary and making Jackson an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season.”

Howie’s smarter than you. It’s not as bad as you think and a lot closer than you speculate. It’s going to be fine. We won’t lose anyone we’re not expecting to and we may not be able to bring in a high priced FA but Howie will find the necessary monies.Β 

13 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I like you, bro. But you’re just speculating over internet numbers.Β 
Β 

On Malik:Β 

β€œIf they don’t exercise the option, the $2.4 million is added to Jackson's $7.6 million 2020 base salary, creating a $10 million base salary and making Jackson an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season.”

Howie’s smarter than you. It’s not as bad as you think and a lot closer than you speculate. It’s going to be fine. We won’t lose anyone we’re not expecting to and we may not be able to bring in a high priced FA but Howie will find the necessary monies.Β 

Hoping we will be in salary cap hellΒ is the only thing he has. Like his team isn’t even good enough to have a name. Let the man have something......

• Like 1