Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

Changes need to be made that account for the limits of humans to resolve high- speed action on the field.

Look at this picture below, I could find a similar one with any WR on any team. What you'll notice is where his eyes are while he is catching the ball
His eyes are still looking up at where the ball was, not where it currently is. And that's a function of human anatomy and response times

The game keeps getting faster, but we aren't building "better" humans nor are humans evolving at a similar pace. We've approached and exceeded the ability of humans to resolve what they are seeing vs what actually happened. Try watching the game without instant replay and you'll see how often you are wrong -
The refs on the field aren't getting 7 different super slo-mo views, they get one shot at it in full speed and do their best to be in position to make the call

If we are going to play the game in real time, but adjudicate in super slo-mo, then we have to account for the limitations of the human eye/brain and allow for replays in more/most/all situations

Jon Stark mentioned it above, but it bears repeating: Why are we putting the onus on coaches/challenges ? Its not their job, they aren't trained for it and they've got other things to think about during the game. It also takes away the bs gamesmanship of the hometown video crew deciding which views are shown to the opposing coaches. That's crapola in my view

Let the Refs ref the game, and give them the tools and opportunity to fix the inevitable mistakes

803a613d-6821-43ca-978f-25a6a9654254-PAC

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If we are going to play the game in real time, but adjudicate in super slo-mo, then we have to account for the limitations of the human eye/brain and allow for replays in more/most/all situations

This is basically the only correct answer. Those refs knew they had made a mistake as soon as they made it, but they were unable to go back and fix it, and that needs to change.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Where you are wrong is that call results in a first and goal at the 9 with 1:49 on the clock and no TOs left for the rams.  It's a kick a fg with no time remaining situation.  The Rams offense would never have touched the ball again.

This is not true. The Rams had one timeout left. If the Saints had kneeled, which I don't think they would have because it only wastes one second, the Rams likely have the ball with about 14 seconds left. Just needing a FG. Given GZs 57 yarder would have been good from 67, all the Rams would have needed would have been 25 yards to try a 67 yard FG. Most teams are able to get near midfield in those situations so I think that part likely. Whether he actually hits a 67 yard FG would be a different story.

If the Saints don't kneel, the Rams probably let them score on the next play to conserve time. Either way it's theoretically possible that this game goes to OT even with the PI called.

8 hours ago, JonStark said:

but some of the comments here, crap thrown at me on Twitter, and things that Payton/the players are saying is making me hate them more than any team in the league

If I wanted to, I could allow all the sore winner comments from Rams fans here let me "hate them more than any team in the league."

But I'm not, and my team lost the game. You all won it and you're acting like you've been horribly wronged anyway.

Who cares? Your team is going to the Super Bowl. Seriously! If I was a Rams fan right now I wouldn't give half a wet fart if somebody didn't like it.

3 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

If I wanted to, I could allow all the sore winner comments from Rams fans here let me "hate them more than any team in the league."

But I'm not, and my team lost the game. You all won it and you're acting like you've been horribly wronged anyway.

Who cares? Your team is going to the Super Bowl. Seriously! If I was a Rams fan right now I wouldn't give half a wet fart if somebody didn't like it.

Would love you to show me where I've acted like I've been horribly wronged. You might have me confused with someone else, I've been pretty logical explaining my reasoning throughout this entire thread. 

But I'll admit you are right with the last sentence. 

36 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

This is not true. The Rams had one timeout left. If the Saints had kneeled, which I don't think they would have because it only wastes one second, the Rams likely have the ball with about 14 seconds left. Just needing a FG. Given GZs 57 yarder would have been good from 67, all the Rams would have needed would have been 25 yards to try a 67 yard FG. Most teams are able to get near midfield in those situations so I think that part likely. Whether he actually hits a 67 yard FG would be a different story.

If the Saints don't kneel, the Rams probably let them score on the next play to conserve time. Either way it's theoretically possible that this game goes to OT even with the PI called.

All the Saints would've done is prevented a sideline pass and gang tackled. I give it about a 1% chance that the Rams have an opportunity to kick a reasonable FG. Assuming that Greg could go out there knowing he's attempting a 67 yard FG and hit it, is completely ridiculous. 

If the play is called correctly, the Saints win that game. 

7 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

All the Saints would've done is prevented a sideline pass and gang tackled. I give it about a 1% chance that the Rams have an opportunity to kick a reasonable FG. Assuming that Greg could go out there knowing he's attempting a 67 yard FG and hit it, is completely ridiculous. 

If the play is called correctly, there are offsetting fouls. You have DPI on NRC and a Facemask PF on Peat (grabbing Donald by the facemask and turned his head).

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If the play is called correctly, there are offsetting fouls. You have DPI on NRC and a Facemask PF on Peat (grabbing Donald by the facemask and turned his head).

Oh. My. God. Rams fans are working so hard lmao, I respect the grind.

Even if its offsetting, which is bogus, its still another play. It goes down as the worst missed call ever for me. Right up there with Fail Mary.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Oh. My. God. Rams fans are working so hard lmao, I respect the grind.

Even if its offsetting, which is bogus, its still another play. It goes down as the worst missed call ever for me. Right up there with Fail Mary.

Cool. You have another 3rd and 10 play. You get stopped. You kick a FG. You lose.

The call was bad. It was horrendous. It was missed...There were also several bad, blatant calls missed in that game. The timing of this one, along with what kind of play it was is what is making everyone up in arms.

However, it was not the last play of the game. The Saints still had a chance to win the game. Both on defense and getting the ball first in OT. If this was the only bad call of the game, I truly think you would see Rams fans feeling bad about what happened. But since the refs allowed so many penalties to go uncalled the entire game and Saints fans are going to play the "If it's called we win" card; then by default, you have to say the same thing about ALL of the missed calls that game. You do not get to cherry pick the one missed call that would help the Saints win. This is particular to the Goff facemask that resulted in a FG instead of a TD. That missed call took points off the board and also drastically changed the outcome.

If I were a Saints fan I'd probably be shortsighted too on the matter.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

I personally agree with you Mookie on that last part, but you can't cherry pick which missed calls should have been called. A penalty is a penalty no matter how blatant. If you say the missed DPI should have been called, why am I not allowed to say the missed facemask should have been called? We're both right, but if the missed facemask is called, the Rams are up 24-20 and don't run a cover 2 letting Ginn beat Joyner deep. You can not ask me to look what happens when the DPI is called and refuse to look what happens when the facemak is called without being EXTREMELY hypocritical. 

Living in New Orleans right now is absolutely amazing. The denial and revisionism would make Texas proud. 

Jokes aside, tt was a terrible missed call on instant replay, particularly when shown from a ground level angle and in slow motion. But in real time on the television broadcast, it didn't look like much short of a bang bang play. Someone here put it right- it didn't cost the Saints the game, but it kept the Rams from losing. However, if we're going to talk about missed calls, I don't see how the missed facemask call or the missed hands to the face call (on the NRC no-call play) can be ignored. The game was full of missed calls, as all of them are. Keying in on 1 play while ignoring others is far too short sighted to be taken seriously. If the Rams don't kick the FG to take it to overtime, that missed facemask call becomes the worst call in NFL history. That, and the no call on the play clock running out. Lets not pretend that the refs were somehow biased. I'm neither a Rams nor Saints fan and the number of missed calls by the refs was infuriating to watch in an otherwise fantastic game by both teams. 

The irony, however, is that Bobby Hebert and co. on WWL radio spent the entire week leading up to the game talking about how Rams fans were whiny and full of conspiracy theories when they petitioned to have Vinovich and crew removed from the game. Irony at it's finest, indeed. 

I'm just going to leave this board and not come back for a while. Tired of the trash talk. If your team got screwed over, you'd be mad too, and don't even try to say otherwise.

Really tired of hearing about how we're "whining" and all this and that. It's garbage. The game was stolen. You can try to justify it and make excuses and lash out at Saints fans, but you all know damn well if you were in the same position you'd be mad too. End of story.

It's bad enough to lose that game in that way without having every Tom **** and Harry on this message board trying to tell you how it really was your fault and trying to act like you've been victimized by us being mad about the result. **** that. **** that up the *** sideways with a refrigerator.

I've had enough of this horse****.

Archived