Who is getting cut this off-season?

ET80

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, this would make me happy. Bring him back if he is...

I think it would make a lot of teams happy. I do think it would make more sense for it to happen in 2020 or maybe 2021, but the Jaguars aren’t exactly known for doing what makes sense.

That said, if I’m a team looking to give him a new contract, I may give it a second thought because of how his play declined this season. I. 2016 and 2017, he was a top 5 Corner each year, but I think he may have been a fringe top 20 guy this past season. Hopefully it was a down year, as a lot of traditionally good CBs had some uncharacteristic seasons this year. Whether it was just a weird year for him, or maybe he’s starting to fall off (or maybe the growth of passing games this season was too much for him to deal with). But I think if you’re looking to give him the money he would still command after those two incredible years, this past season may give pause to that contract. 

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

WR DeSean Jackson saves us $10M. We should've traded him at the deadline, since there are rumors we had multiple offers and turned them all down.

Really hope the Eagles bring him back finally. Pairing him across from Alshon, and having Ags in the slot with two stellar tight ends. MMMMM baby.

31 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Why do you feel he will cut?  I didn't see how he played after he left GB.

Injured all year just about. He wasnt happy with his role. We ended up using him more as a LB than S due to his limited availability. He played more S nearer to the final game but his inability to stay healthy makes him too much of a liability.

Likely - OL Mike Remmers, S Andrew Sendejo

Possible but should - TE Kyle Rudolph

Not likely but would benefit the cap - DE Everson Griffen

CB situation needs to be sorted out too and Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes both make a lot of money and there are two promising young players on the roster in Mike Hughes and Holton Hill. Waynes is in the final year of his deal, playing on the 5th year option. Rhodes is locked in but has a huge cap hit. I could see one of these two leveraged as trade bait for a draft pick.

Redskins

Probable to be cut:

Zach Brown - Post June saves $7.25 million

Mason Foster - Post June saves $2 million

Questionable to be cut: 

Josh Norman - Post June saves $11.5 million

Vernon Davis - Post June saves $5 million

Stacy McGee - Post June saves us $3.9 million

Doubtful (but possible) to be cut:

Jordan Reed - Post June saves $7.9 million

The Packers have a few potential cap casualties this offseason.  Probably more dependent on who they sign.  Right now, they've got ~$36M in cap space after they account for their drat picks, so they're not cash strapped by any means.

DE/OLB Nick Perry ($14.4M Cap Hit, $11.1M Dead Cap, $4.3M Cap Saved)
Probably the  most likely cap hit, and the only thing that keeps this from being a foregone conclusion is that the Packers have literally no depth here.  Besides Kyler Fackrell, the Packers have a career 3.5 sacks behind him.  Clay is a FA at the end of the year, so they'll need to add at least two major additions this offseason.

TE Jimmy Graham ($12.7M Cap Hit, $7.3M Dead Cap, $5.3M Cap Saved)
This one is less likely as the FA class consists of Jared Cook, and not much else.  You've got Tyler Eifert behind Cook and not much else more.  And the draft usually doesn't produce rookies.  It usually isn't until the second year they start to produce, so it seems unlikely the Packers are looking to move on from Jimmy Graham after a year.

CB/S Tramon Wiliams ($6.4M Cap Hit, $1.6M Dead Cap, $4.8M Cap Saved)
This one seems inevitable especially if the safety FA class is slow played like it was last year.  The Packers save significantly more money by moving on from him, and they'll be better off saving the money and reinvesting in the safety position via FA.

Those are really the only three notable names mentioned.  There's been some talk that the Packers could release Mike Daniels given his season last year, but that seems unlikely.

Nobody really of note for the 49ers. Pierre Garcon probably is the biggest "name", but he looks pretty close to being done. Couldn't stay healthy for us, and even when he was, outside of that Raiders game, he was largely a non factor. We don't even save anything by cutting him, but it's really in the best interest of the team to get him replaced and get someone in there with some upside. Other than that, Garry Gilliam has a ridiculous contract of 5+ million but no dead money and is basically a poor swing tackle. Cassius Marsh should be gone, but I'm not sure. Over 4 million, he doesn't offer much as a pass rush so far. 

The name to keep an eye on would probably be Arik Armstead. He's on his option year, and he's not really worth 9+ million. But he's actually a pretty good player, and probably coming off his best year. The problem is, he's not a pass rusher. He holds an edge well, can slide him around the line (we lined him up anywhere from 1 tech to 5 tech), so he has some versatility in that regard. But again, just not worth 9+ million. If he's cut, he'd be a solid pickup for quite a few teams. 

Archived