Is Patrick Mahomes the best young QB (under 30) in the NFL?

tyler735

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

That's weird I didn't see any threads asking if Mahomes is the best QB under age 30 when I went back several pages on NFL Comparisons.

You started a thread about the best QBs under 30 with a different QB, don't be that guy. Again. 

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Just trying to have a discussion on the current state of young NFL QB's in the NFL.

Uh huh.

It's Mahomes until *Insert other QB* has a better season.

11 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

Nah I meant what Mahomes posted this year, I expect Lawrence to have similar numbers in his rookie year, hes that special

Mahomes is great but has 2 superstar playmakers to throw to. Then add Sammy Watkins...I wonder how significantly his numbers would dip with a pedestrian cast. PFF graded the OL as #13 in in the NFL with a 1st team AP OT.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Mahomes is great but has 2 superstar playmakers to throw to. Then add Sammy Watkins...I wonder how significantly his numbers would dip with a pedestrian cast. PFF graded the OL as #13 in in the NFL with a 1st team AP OT.

I'm a little curious as to how the OL is graded. Throughout the year we had 7 different guys starting at OG/C. Injuries hit us hard but luckily our depth was good.

9 hours ago, SBLIII said:

agreed. Peterman is.

To be fair Peterman did create some of the most can’t miss plays of the season.  

I think Mahomes is the real deal. The only caveat being that Andy Reid is the QB whisperer. He got teams to trade for AJ Feeley, Alex Smith, Kevin Kolb and McNabb. He even redeemed Vick to a point he was viewed as a starting option. 

Edited by Boltstrikes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Nah I meant what Mahomes posted this year, I expect Lawrence to have similar numbers in his rookie year, hes that special

I can’t see Lawrence going #1 overall to a team with a QB guru as his coach, a solid offensive line, one of the best receivers in football, the (arguably) best Tight End, other good role players for receivers, as well as a run game that helps him out. He’s just not going to be put in that favorable of a situation out of the gate. 

29 minutes ago, pwny said:

I can’t see Lawrence going #1 overall to a team with a QB guru as his coach, a solid offensive line, one of the best receivers in football, the (arguably) best Tight End, other good role players for receivers, as well as a run game that helps him out. He’s just not going to be put in that favorable of a situation out of the gate. 

That could be the Saints if Drew Brees is retired, that's exact situation you mentioned 

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He's not even the best OB in his own draft class.

I'll say this - I think if the Chiefs drafted Deshaun Watson and the Texans drafted Pat Mahomes, we'd be having this conversation about Watson. Mahomes would be good, but not revered in the same light.

The difference between Andy Reid and Bill O'Brien is significant.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'll say this - I think if the Chiefs drafted Deshaun Watson and the Texans drafted Pat Mahomes, we'd be having this conversation about Watson. Mahomes would be good, but not revered in the same light.

The difference between Andy Reid and Bill O'Brien is significant.

People are ignoring the supporting cast IMO. Or at least not giving it credit. You don't throw for 50 touchdowns unless EVERYTHING is going right. Protection. Weapons. Playcalling. AND QB play.

If you put many good qb's in that offense, I'm not saying you'll see Mahomes like production, but a lot of guys would have career years with that offensive cast. I'm not ready to put him in tier 1 right this moment. He had an unbelievable year, but context matters too. 

Lets see how this plays out going forward. We're obviously all intrigued.