Report: Dolphins plan to part ways with Ryan Tannehill, tank 2019 season for Tua Tagovailoa

DigInBoys

I highly, HIGHLY doubt any team considers tanking as a serious course of action. This isn't basketball, where you can land a Zion Williamson-type franchise changer (even guys like Trevor Lawrence will need some sort of help - whether it be a good OL or above average pass catchers). Even then, Tua isn't the guy you throw a season away for.

I think this is really creative/wishful thinking. It's the NFL reporting equivalent of fan fiction...

On 2/3/2019 at 6:47 AM, BroncoBruin said:

Does tank commander mean QB who will simply give you the best shot at a #1 pick? The Peter Man, end of story. If it means being just incompetent enough to get you in that position while being respected by the team and without the horrible optics, McCown or Fitzpatrick would make sense. 

No team in the NFL no matter how much they want to tank should ever even consider Peterman. Signing Peterman should automatically take all of your football games off TV for a season and get fined all your picks.

It's like taking a high school baseball player without training and dropping him into the NFL without any prep.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I highly, HIGHLY doubt any team considers tanking as a serious course of action. This isn't basketball, where you can land a Zion Williamson-type franchise changer (even guys like Trevor Lawrence will need some sort of help - whether it be a good OL or above average pass catchers). Even then, Tua isn't the guy you throw a season away for.

I think this is really creative/wishful thinking. It's the NFL reporting equivalent of fan fiction...

Tanking in basketball isn't that advantageous since you aren't guaranteed the best pick if you finish last. Tanking in football you do. 

MY FINZ  have been "tanking" for as long as  I have had kids now.......  That much they can do.    

I'd rather see some people come in who can analyze basic skills from college players and then coach them into being NFL players accordingly. We don't need big name prospects like Ryan Leaf or Johnny Manziel.    We need players who have strength, endurance and can follow the directions of the coaching staff in order to win.

Then again, we need a coaching staff.........

4 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Tanking in basketball isn't that advantageous since you aren't guaranteed the best pick if you finish last. Tanking in football you do. 

I get that, but my point is that there's rarely a single player that will elevate you to contender status - Andrew Luck comes to mind, Trevor Lawrence looks like he could be that guy, but that's about it. 

I like Tua, but I question of he's even the #1 QB available - I personally like Jake Fromm a little bit more, and I don't think either are top 3 guys (taking positional value out of it, mind you). Heck, both Tua and Fromm could be behind Justin Herbert as far as the top QB available - I'm not high enough on any of those names for a tank job.

If there is any truth to this, Miami is picking the wrong year to tank. 2020 is when you aim for the 0-16 season, when Lawrence and Justin Fields are out there for the taking.

Tanking in the sense that we're getting rid of overpaid vets and relying on young guys. That doesn't mean we're trying to lose. It means we'll probably lose because we'll be so young and have a thin roster. This needed to happen. We'd been relying on big FA splashes and band-aids for so long. Our rebuilds are always half assed. It seems like they are committed to the long term finally. 

On 2/3/2019 at 5:22 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Any chance the league gets pissy with the Dolphins for tanking? 

Possible.  Will depend on if there's a decline in season ticket or advertising revenue in the south Florida market; those parts of revenue are shared and it actually could be the NFLPA that goes after the Dolphins and the league for this because it's not operating with a mind towards maximizing the shared revenue (which is what the players' piece of the pie comes out of). 

@jrry32, I'm not as up on my contract and collective bargaining law as I should be - would there be a case for the league not operating in good faith if the Dolphins were allowed to intentionally tank?

That said, a team can say they're going to tank all they want, players don't operate with that mindset.  Guys going into contract years this or next year on the Phins aren't going to dog it.

35 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

Tanking in the sense that we're getting rid of overpaid vets and relying on young guys. That doesn't mean we're trying to lose. It means we'll probably lose because we'll be so young and have a thin roster. This needed to happen. We'd been relying on big FA splashes and band-aids for so long. Our rebuilds are always half assed. It seems like they are committed to the long term finally. 

I get it, but there's also now a cap-floor that has to be met each season in addition to a cap-ceiling to be under.  So 89% of the cap must be spent by seasons' end - so there are some flaws in this plan of action if certain guys don't show out of being worthy of extensions.  Dead money will eat some of that percentage up, but it's not as easy as some would probably have people think.

Archived