Did Marvin Lewis underachieve with the Bengals?

Malik

Yeah, he definitely underachieved.  2013 and 2015 should have resulted in playoff wins.  I can understand not winning a few of them, especially the one where Palmer had his knee shattered on the 2nd play of the game, but they had more than enough talent in a couple of those games and either beat themselves or were simply outcoached.  That’s gotta fall on Marvin

It's unfortunate that his best two teams (2005 and 2015) didn't stand much of a shot in the playoffs because of injuries to the QB.  I think they could and would have won both of those with Palmer and Dalton.  But it wasn't to be.

Yes, he underachieved.  As @TheVillain112 pointed out, they made a bunch of really dumb personnel decisions that led to some of the failures.  Also, i think it's pretty obvious that in some way he had the team playing tight in big spots.  There's really no other way to explain how bad they were in prime time games.  Their failures there spanned two generations of QB's, and multiple turnovers of the other 52 guys.  You can't blame Dalton or Palmer totally, i don't think.  Palmer had big time trouble in prime too with Lewis.  When he left for Oakland and Arizona his numbers improved.

15 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Talent on offense and defense is subjective of course, but the Bengals definitely suffered from bad coaching/personnel decisions IMHO.

You had a head coach that made the following decisions over the course of his tenor:

• Tank Johnson starting over Geno Atkins
  • Robert Geathers (post-microfacture surgery) starting over Carlos Dunlap for multiple seasons
  • Michael Johnson over Carl Lawson
  • Keeping Michael Johnson instead of Margus Hunt or Chris Smith
  • Activating Cedric Peerman instead of William Jackson III off IR
  • Playing Adam Jones and Dre Kirkpatrick instead of WJIII
  • Starting Jeremy Hill instead of Joe Mixon or Gio
  • Starting Jeremy Hill and not giving any playing time to Rex Burkhead
  • Nate Livings over Evan Mathis
  • Alex Redmond over Christian Westerman

I can keep going, but Marvin Lewis made a lot of dumb personnel decisions...

Sums up the answer nice and neatly to this thread. 👏👏

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

Bengals had a realistic shot winning the SB in 2015 with Dalton.

I think the 2005 team had a better shot.  The 2015 team had a slim chance.  They were one of the better teams in the league, but still had issues in the spotlight.  Probably would have won the wildcard and lost the divisional round (they would have went on the road to New England).

In 2005, had they beat Pittsburgh, they would have Indy next.  Which would have been winnable for them, given Indy's postseasons struggles.  The AFC championship would have been in Denver.  Denver would have been favored, but they would have had a shot (a better shot than against the 2015 Patriots on the road).

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

They lost to the TJ Yates-led Texans in 2011. If a team is down to their 3rd QB, you need to be able to beat them. 

With a rookie QB, rookie WR, no spring practices (lockout year) and on the road in Houston.  Yeah, no.  The frst one took the amazing INT return by Watt to put them away.   And as I said earlier, that team was literally predicted to go 0-16 heading into the season by several major media outlets (USAT, ESPN, TSN)

38 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

With a rookie QB, rookie WR, no spring practices (lockout year) and on the road in Houston.  Yeah, no.  The frst one took the amazing INT return by Watt to put them away.   And as I said earlier, that team was literally predicted to go 0-16 heading into the season by several major media outlets (USAT, ESPN, TSN)

I get that, but this was still a Texans team with a rookie JJ Watt (who wasn't quite the same player who won three DPOYs) along with an injured Andre Johnson and Arian Foster. 

The rookie QB you mentioned (Andy Dalton) was considerably better than TJ Yates, and that rookie WR was the 4th overall pick - and a guy who lived up to the billing as a top 5 selection. The Texans also had no spring practices - and any practices were with Matt Schaub at QB and Mario Williams at OLB, not Yates and Brooks Reed. Heck, backup snaps went to Matt Leinert, not Yates.

The Texans were walking wounded in that game, including at the most important position in the game - both the starter AND the backup. The Bengals had the advantage at every concievable spot that year following the injuries.

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

I get that, but this was still a Texans team with a rookie JJ Watt (who wasn't quite the same player who won three DPOYs) along with an injured Andre Johnson and Arian Foster. 

The rookie QB you mentioned (Andy Dalton) was considerably better than TJ Yates, and that rookie WR was the 4th overall pick - and a guy who lived up to the billing as a top 5 selection. The Texans also had no spring practices - and any practices were with Matt Schaub at QB and Mario Williams at OLB, not Yates and Brooks Reed. Heck, backup snaps went to Matt Leinert, not Yates.

The Texans were walking wounded in that game, including at the most important position in the game - both the starter AND the backup. The Bengals had the advantage at every concievable spot that year following the injuries.

Um, ok.  Arian Foster had FIVE times the ground yards as our top rusher that day, Brian Leonard.  That "injured" Andre Johnson had twice as many yards as the rookie #4 pick.  Dalton had more yards, but also the turnovers (3 picks I think, including the Watt pick 6).  Benson was held to like 12 yards or something ridiculous.

Although we had Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap, they were only rotational players due to Marvin's ineptitude, that theVillain already alluded to.    Then there''s the Marvin Lewis night game factor.  that was a Saturday late afternoon or night game.  Bright lights.  Tiny Marvin.

I really don't get the point here.  That the mighty Bengals were stunned by a higher seeded Texans team in Houston?  Or that Marvin is mediocre and needed a little blue pill in prime time?  If it's the second we agree.

He got an unusually long leash, but i don't really feel like he "underachieved".  Especially in getting a lot out of a roster built around Andy Dalton for a lot of years.  That he had them firing as a sort of perennial playoff contender for a while isn't really "underachieving".  Especially not in that division.  But i wouldn't say he overachieved either.  He never really built on it and took them anywhere.  Just sort of falls into the category of "Coaching Purgatory".  Just good enough to stick around.  He was basically the Andy Dalton of coaches.

I think Marvin Ronald Lewis achieved exactly what Marvin Ronald Lewis was capable of achieving
Which unfortunately, wasn't all that much. If you actually believe he was capable of more, that's on you

Bill Parcells famously said: "You are what your record says you are"

131–122–3 (.518) in the regular season
0-7 in the playoffs

Archived