Owners to vote on 4th and 15 on-side kick alternative [Vote Failed To Pass]

wackywabbit

Based on this, in 2012 teams converted on 3rd and 15 at rate of 14%. A reddit study found something similar for the 2017 season. While 4th and 15 was converted at a 35% clip, I’m guessing that has more to do with small sample size and prevent defense than anything else. I would say that a 15-20% conversion rate is fair to both teams. I don’t think teams in the lead can complain very much when even after converting the other team would have to drive down the field to score. Not to mention a sack gives you the ball around the 20-25 to seal the game. 

13 minutes ago, winitall said:

Based on this, in 2012 teams converted on 3rd and 15 at rate of 14%. A reddit study found something similar for the 2017 season. While 4th and 15 was converted at a 35% clip, I’m guessing that has more to do with small sample size and prevent defense than anything else. I would say that a 15-20% conversion rate is fair to both teams. I don’t think teams in the lead can complain very much when even after converting the other team would have to drive down the field to score. Not to mention a sack gives you the ball around the 20-25 to seal the game. 

Teams just dump the ball off on third down. I don't mind a mechanism to come back at the end of the game, I don't know yet if this will be too easy or not. They may have to go gimmicky with it, I don't know what else they can do. 

Not a fan. Onside kicks being a long shot play, where you just pray you get the roll, makes sense. It's for teams that have been outplayed and deserve to lose (99% of time), but it exists to make games worth playing the full 60 minutes... but I shouldn't even say "exists" because it's not some special provision, it's simply an option available at all times that only becomes viable when you are desperate for the ball, the same way you can always go for it on 4th down but generally don't until you have to score.

This just seems silly and arbitrary, for a team to have the option once a game to not kickoff and instead go for 4th & 15. I understand there are already a lot of arbitrary rules or provisions in football, but that doesn't mean we should add more.

My question is would it be a live play or pass/fail like a two point conversion? If you score a TD on the play does it count or do you get the ball with a net set of downs at the 30?

If it’s the former, that’s a giant advantage to offenses.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I would think the clock would be running during the play. That brings up the option to use it if you score with just a few seconds left with the lead or a tie. You could just take a knee, as long as the clock expired before you did it.

This is an interesting point. If a team is up with a few seconds left, seems like they would just go for the 4th and 15 and run out the clock on purpose. Don't really like that.

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This is an interesting point. If a team is up with a few seconds left, seems like they would just go for the 4th and 15 and run out the clock on purpose. Don't really like that.

Why would the clock run? It doesn't run on any other kickoff/after-score try plays. Otherwise the same problem would exist with 2-point attempts where you could just run backwards for 10 seconds.

1 hour ago, winitall said:

Yea, I think it working 1/5 times will be about the ceiling we see, despite the perception that offenses can do whatever they want.

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Why would the clock run? It doesn't run on any other kickoff/after-score try plays. Otherwise the same problem would exist with 2-point attempts where you could just run backwards for 10 seconds.

It wouldn't be a conversion attempt it would be a 4th down where the clock does run. It is more like a kickoff than a conversion attempt and the clock runs on a kickoff once the ball is in play.

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

Where would you get the ball?  Wherever the play ends?  If that's the case, does that mean you score score a TD on the "onside play"?

Yeah, I believe that is the point. If you fail the other team takes over where the ball was.

Archived