The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

His ideal QB prospect was Kyler Murray.

And I was totally down to trade whatever it took to go get him. 

What evidence of this do you have?

Becuase i vehemently disagree.

I'm confident you are incorrect from everything I know about Gruden; from his actions during his first stint in Oakland, his time with Tampa, his evaluations during the draft, and his time on ESPN at the QB camp (which I put the least amount of value in), I wouldn't be surprised if he liked Daniel Jones over Kyler Murray. But QB was NEVER an option. 

Edited by OG_C2X

1 minute ago, OG_C2X said:

What evidence of this do you have?

Becuase i vehemently disagree.

I'm confident you are incorrect from everyone I know abour Gruden; from his actions during his first stint in Oakland, his time with Tampa, his evaluations during the draft, and his time on ESPN at the QB camp (which I put the least amount of value in), I wouldn't be surprised if he liked Daniel Jones over Kyler Murray. But QB was NEVER an option. 

It’s very possible whoever you are connected with lied to you, unless you are like super best friends. 

Or Mayock/Gruden didn’t tell the truth to any of their front office as they are scared of leaks. 

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear and I'll be the first to eat crow if i am wrong.

But I genuniely think we are about to embark on an Andy Dalton type of ride with Carr. I REALLY don't expect him doing anywhere. I am all for an upgrade at QB. I didn't think there was an upgrade last year and I haven't found an upgrade this year yet.

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It’s very possible whoever you are connected with lied to you, unless you are like super best friends. 

Or Mayock/Gruden didn’t tell the truth to any of their front office as they are scared of leaks. 

I actually meant to say everything* not everyone*  i just editted it. 

14 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Tua has also had his worst games against good defenses/good competition. He won't benefit from superior talent compared to the opposition in the NFL. That's my reservation. He is an NFL player, but I'm unsure how good he'll be.

Last year with Georgia was a concern, yes. I was hardcore Tua best prospect since, who knows... bandwaggon. But that game gave me great pause. 

But this year against LSU really eased my mind, who might have the best defense in college, or at least Top 3-4. Yes, he was quite bad against LSU in the first half be he absolutely annihilated that defense in the 2nd half and almost won the game. So this could be more of a coaching issue. 

I wanted to see Tua exercise his demons vs Georgia this year. It was his first year as a starter that year and perhaps he saw coverages he’s never seen before 

• Like 1

Could Derek play a little better the last two weeks? Maybe a bit , but he is forced a tough hand. 

- have the worst Worst WR Core in the league. We really needed AB. Tyrelle Williams is overrated because he is 6’4 he is an iffy WR2 

- We we’re doing okay in the middle of the year but not like the playcalling has been killing it. Even the honey badger called out how bad our playcalling was while mocking it after destroying us 

- our defense is a bottom 3 team. I play a lot of fantasy and I always start players against us, and usually win. Besides a freak game from Max, and the Charger game are pass rush is still one of the worst in the league. Paul G system is based on win in the trenches with your front four like his old bengals use too. Our DL has prospects but they aren’t controlling the LOS and forcing turnovers. Usually turnovers come from pressure. Crazy how bad we are at getting turnovers. It’s a big deal when we get a pick, I think we set a record or two for lack of turnovers. Derek doesn’t get any gimmie points like other QBs get every week. If you get 2-3 turnovers in the game and have a short field position, we would have more end zone opportunities to score points. That is what wins in this league. 

If you ignore those 3 HUGE variables, you are just feeding your ego and pushing narratives. Last game there was nobody getting open, I did think Derek should have just started running more. That was his only chance at moving the chains, which is sad for an offense in 2019. I wouldn’t mind signing a vet QB to maybe have competition like Foles, Teddy, Marcus. I know Derek is better than them but competition might help him. I promise you a rookie 1st round QB is set up to fail if we don’t fix those 3 huge issues and throw him out there. Literally would have to run for his life to get a first down. 💀 the raider way..... all Derek has done has learn 4 playbooks in 6years with these ongoing issues. Imagine trying to QB a team without Jacobs like Derek did in 2018.... it’s a bit simple minded to blame the QB because of losing and not scoring 40 a game 

Edited by Humble_Beast

37 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Could Derek play a little better the last two weeks? Maybe a bit , but he is forced a tough hand. 

- have the worst Worst WR Core in the league. We really needed AB. Tyrelle Williams is overrated because he is 6’4 he is an iffy WR2 

- We we’re doing okay in the middle of the year but not like the playcalling has been killing it. Even the honey badger called out how bad our playcalling was while mocking it after destroying us 

- our defense is a bottom 3 team. I play a lot of fantasy and I always start players against us, and usually win. Besides a freak game from Max, and the Charger game are pass rush is still one of the worst in the league. Paul G system is based on win in the trenches with your front four like his old bengals use too. Our DL has prospects but they aren’t controlling the LOS and forcing turnovers. Usually turnovers come from pressure. Crazy how bad we are at getting turnovers. It’s a big deal when we get a pick, I think we set a record or two for lack of turnovers. Derek doesn’t get any gimmie points like other QBs get every week. If you get 2-3 turnovers in the game and have a short field position, we would have more end zone opportunities to score points. That is what wins in this league. 

If you ignore those 3 HUGE variables, you are just feeding your ego and pushing narratives. Last game there was nobody getting open, I did think Derek should have just started running more. That was his only chance at moving the chains, which is sad for an offense in 2019. I wouldn’t mind signing a vet QB to maybe have competition like Foles, Teddy, Marcus. I know Derek is better than them but competition might help him. I promise you a rookie 1st round QB is set up to fail if we don’t fix those 3 huge issues and throw him out there. Literally would have to run for his life to get a first down. 💀 the raider way..... all Derek has done has learn 4 playbooks in 6years with these ongoing issues. Imagine trying to QB a team without Jacobs like Derek did in 2018.... it’s a bit simple minded to blame the QB because of losing and not scoring 40 a game 

Meh the defense hasn't been the problem the last few games. Carr has not led the offense in scoring any points. 3 points against the Jets 9 points last week.. So tired of the Wr's are not getting open argument Carr can't hit them or he doesn't see them that's the fact plenty of film out there now to see how he just doesn't deliver the ball.

Defense has far from been the problem. They have been an average unit all year to be honest. Only game they got whooped was the Packers. Vikings, Chief games, and Jets were because Carr could not manufacture any drives. He will not throw unless a wide open target is available, he does not improvise, will rarely ever throw into a tight window, and he does not extend plays in the pocket. 

The problem also is not the Line or Run Game. Our Line and Jacoba have been money. 

The problem is Derek Carr. Ironic that Frankie went on a giant rant a while back about how our defense makes Carr look bad. No, Carr makes our defense look bad. Our defense has fought hard this year and with the emergence of Crosby they are a pretty average unit. With a real QB, I think they are around 17-20 range. With a real QB and a couple more pieces, they can be Top 12-15.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear and I'll be the first to eat crow if i am wrong.

But I genuniely think we are about to embark on an Andy Dalton type of ride with Carr. I REALLY don't expect him doing anywhere. I am all for an upgrade at QB. I didn't think there was an upgrade last year and I haven't found an upgrade this year yet.

I actually meant to say everything* not everyone*  i just editted it. 

This is how I feel. It's really not as much about Carr as it is about the options on the table.

I also believe, as you say, we are on an Andy Dalton ride with a lot of pieces. From Gruden to Mayock to PG to Carr. The plan was to tear it down and ride it out while building imo. Nothing I've seen has made me change my opinion from that. 

1 hour ago, true2form said:

This is how I feel. It's really not as much about Carr as it is about the options on the table.

I also believe, as you say, we are on an Andy Dalton ride with a lot of pieces. From Gruden to Mayock to PG to Carr. The plan was to tear it down and ride it out while building imo. Nothing I've seen has made me change my opinion from that. 

If someone wants to replace him, it better be a good option. I don't want to hear "anyone". If we could get a 22 year old Russell Wilson in the building tomorrow, no one would say no. Unless they really fall in love with someone, I'd say ride it out on a pretty friendly veteran qb deal until either Carr ups his level, or a good replacement candidate emerges (e.g. team is playing well and can afford to package future picks).

Lets see how these last 4 games go. This next game is crucial. If we win this and play well, the wildcard won't be far off at all.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If someone wants to replace him, it better be a good option. I don't want to hear "anyone". If we could get a 22 year old Russell Wilson in the building tomorrow, no one would say no. Unless they really fall in love with someone, I'd say ride it out on a pretty friendly veteran qb deal until either Carr ups his level, or a good replacement candidate emerges (e.g. team is playing well and can afford to package future picks).

Lets see how these last 4 games go. This next game is crucial. If we win this and play well, the wildcard won't be far off at all.

I just want to see them get someone in the door who can legit compete with Carr. He's been given the job since he beat Matt Shaub every year. Never had even a decent backup in here to push him. 

And why do we care about the Wildcard? This team isn't going to do anything in the playoffs. They'd get in as a 6 seed and go play the 3 seed which will probably be KC at Arrowhead in January. You guys really want to see Carr back at Arrowhead to end their season so we can have this discussion all offseason?