Rank the all-time 49er running backs

TO81Show

6 minutes ago, TO81Show said:

The Niners have had a plethora of strong running backs throughout team history. Rank your all-time running backs for SF.

1. Frank Gore

2. Franklin Delano Gore

3. Frankie G

4. The Inconvenient Truth

5. Roger Craig 

Not a bad exercise... 

I'm only going to do the ones I have seen and I reserve the right to make changes.

1. Frank Gore- has to begin with the little guy here for I would assume almost everyone.

2. Garrison Hearst- loved his speed and burst

3. Roger Craig- I would assume most people would have him higher and maybe he does first ever 1000 yard reciever/rusher if memory serves. I still remember those high knees and long long socks. 

4- Ricky "Running" Waters- Maybe he shouldn't be this high because he was only here a couple years but when he was it was exciting

5. William "Bar None" Floyd- such a shame his knee injuries cost him his career, what a beast of a player. 

6. Charlie Garner- another guy that wasn't here very long but loved his style as well.

1. Roger Craig. This guy was amazing. I too loved the high knees, but what I remember most? How wide his eyes were when he ran! They got huge.

2. Frank Gore. Classy guy, hard worker and runner. Underrated in the passing game, IMO.

3. Garrison Hearst. Alas, his tenure was all too short. 

4. Tom Rathman. Tough guy and great compliment to Craig.

5. Charlie Garner. In brief tenure here, did quite well.

8 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

1. Roger Craig. This guy was amazing. I too loved the high knees, but what I remember most? How wide his eyes were when he ran! They got huge.

2. Frank Gore. Classy guy, hard worker and runner. Underrated in the passing game, IMO.

3. Garrison Hearst. Alas, his tenure was all too short. 

4. Tom Rathman. Tough guy and great compliment to Craig.

5. Charlie Garner. In brief tenure here, did quite well.

Doh! Insert gif of homer simpson for me missing rathman on my list. He deserves a spot.

1. Frank Gore - I trust no other answer than our all-time leading rusher and just an incredible all-around back.

2. Roger Craig - Probably my 2nd favorite 49er all-time, but a clear 2nd place on this list. First 1,000/1,000 back.

3. Joe Perry/Hugh McElhenny/John Henry Johnson - For the record, I have Joe Perry 3rd. He's 2nd all-time in yards on the team (was #1 in NFL when he retired, I believe), and still first in rushing touchdowns. The other two here are also Hall of Famers along with Perry, and as they're all a part of the famous Million Dollar Backfield, it felt right to include them here than as #4 and #5 (since I won't pretend to know them any more than historically). But Joe Perry should be on this list either way. 

4. Garrison Hearst - Always loved watching him play. Probably the most underrated player in team history.

5. Tom Rathman - The first modern do-it-all fullback was a key component of the 80s team.

1 hour ago, Psychlone said:

5. James Pace

4. Dexter Carter

3. Glen Coffee

2. Lawrence Phillips

1. OJ Simpson

(Contrarians can't play by the rules)

If you are going to say Coffee, then don’t forget Kendall Hunter too. 

1. Garrison Hearst. Most talented back the team has ever had but prone to the devastating injury. Rare back who combined power and elusiveness and had that natural genius where you let him freelance a bit and he's right most of the time. 

2. Ricky Watters. Converted college wide receiver made him a rare receiving talent out of the backfield. Like Hearst, had both power and elusiveness. Like Hearst, strong in blitz pickup. Only lacked breakaway speed. 

3. Wendell Tyler: The one knock on him was fumbles. Smooth. No wasted motion with this guy. 

4. Frank Gore: 2006 Gore was an incredible power runner. Later Gore was just solid for a long time. Had a propensity for running right up his linemen's backs. 

5. Roger Craig: Overrated. Always gave you a hard day's work and was tough, but any back can catch passes to the flat. He wasn't a guy who scared you as far as running actual pass patterns the way Watters did. And he wasn't a very patient runner. 

I'm not gonna touch Joe Perry, etc., as they're before any of our time. 

6 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

1. Frank Gore - I trust no other answer than our all-time leading rusher and just an incredible all-around back.

2. Roger Craig - Probably my 2nd favorite 49er all-time, but a clear 2nd place on this list. First 1,000/1,000 back.

3. Joe Perry/Hugh McElhenny/John Henry Johnson - For the record, I have Joe Perry 3rd. He's 2nd all-time in yards on the team (was #1 in NFL when he retired, I believe), and still first in rushing touchdowns. The other two here are also Hall of Famers along with Perry, and as they're all a part of the famous Million Dollar Backfield, it felt right to include them here than as #4 and #5 (since I won't pretend to know them any more than historically). But Joe Perry should be on this list either way. 

4. Garrison Hearst - Always loved watching him play. Probably the most underrated player in team history.

5. Tom Rathman - The first modern do-it-all fullback was a key component of the 80s team.

Thank you for #3. I was getting sad. I had started a post earlier in the day that included them, but then just said screw it lol

21 hours ago, StevenK said:

If you are going to say Coffee, then don’t forget Kendall Hunter too. 

I actually loved Hunter. The guy who get the ball on a draw play on 3rd and 15th and somehow convert. More than once. He was so shifty, and unexpectedly tough. Too bad for the injuries.

If you're to compare Glen Coffee to anyone, go for Thomas Clayton. 

1. Gore

2. Craig

3. Watters

4. Hearst

5. Rathman (love for W. Floyd as well)

Im just basing off of the players I have had the opportunity to watch/ follow in my life time. Watters was my all-time favorite, but you can't argue with Gore's production/ Background/ longevity.

Archived