Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm suggesting when you say Rodgers is the very best of all time and someone says "what about his 2018?" What will you say?

There's nothing that can tarnish his legacy as a HOF QB, but GOATs don't have seasons like this. When you debate if he's the best ever, you'll have to have a logical explanation for this season.

I will say " I don't give a rats arse what YOU think"  and that will be the end of our debate :D

Its just not that important to me that you believe the same things I believe.
There is no such thing as a GOAT anyways.
There are players who were the best in their era, but there is no overall GOAT in the NFL and there never will be.
The game changes too frequently, and too dramatically, over time to make an apples to apples comparison.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Must be the cool thing to bag on Rodgers.

Rather than saying the sensible thing that he’s not having his best season, people continue to take every shot they can on him.

People are going to be in for a rude awakening when he’s gone. 

Fans or talking heads looking at his play honestly is not bagging on him. Any player that makes what he makes is not above reproach or criticism. It's really no indifferent then those that criticized Mac? If anyone including you feels differently then just say it but AR is not immune to criticism, if your not old enough to remember the Brett Favre years you'll know what i mean. I love both AR and BF and many other packers but none are above the team and all should be accountable at some point for their play for pay. If we don't hold them to that well again we've seen what that looks like now:)

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm suggesting when you say Rodgers is the very best of all time and someone says "what about his 2018?" What will you say?

There's nothing that can tarnish his legacy as a HOF QB, but GOATs don't have seasons like this. When you debate if he's the best ever, you'll have to have a logical explanation for this season.

He's great for sure but us Packers fans gotta get ourselves right a bit. GOAT who cares he's great the HOF will vote him in first ballot that is the measuring stick and about the best there is. It's like BF in 05 no one talks about that blip other then diehards, and they are also the silly buggers having the chat as to who is the GOAT when it's something that is unquantifiable it's purely subjective and opinion based anyway.

2 hours ago, Striker said:

So the GOAT can only be the GOAT when he has Pro Bowl+ talent at the OL? That's not very GOAT-like.

Yup, if at all possible, but at least competent guards. Support staff is extremely important. The best can't be their best, if the support staff sucks. This is a TEAM sport. Some of you seem to think this is an individual sport like gymnastics or track. That ain't how it works in football and other team sports. Think about baseball pitchers. They're better with a great defense behind them, right? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

As a Packer fan, even if Aaron goes on to win 1-2 more rings and another MVP, this season will be quite honestly unexplainable and indefensible in the GOAT discussion. 

Only thing that you can hope is the case that doesn't hurt his legacy is that he broke himself compensating his fundamentals to be able to play through that knee. Anything else, whether it be coaching relationship, WR trust, etc looks bad for him.

If you are holding this season against Rodgers then its only fair if people hold 2012, 2013 and 2014 against Brady since his stats were worse then Rodgers this year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I will say " I don't give a rats arse what YOU think"  and that will be the end of our debate :D

Its just not that important to me that you believe the same things I believe.
There is no such thing as a GOAT anyways.
There are players who were the best in their era, but there is no overall GOAT in the NFL and there never will be.
The game changes too frequently, and too dramatically, over time to make an apples to apples comparison.

I agree. I dont get involved in or entertain "GOAT-related" discussions and frankly think it a media/fan obsession that takes on a different character every week. Ridiculous. I dont care who was / is / or will be considered GOAT. Entirely irrelevant to me.

13 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

If you are holding this season against Rodgers then its only fair if people hold 2012, 2013 and 2014 against Brady since his stats were worse then Rodgers this year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm

IMO the only reason he's considered the GOAT is because he has the hardware = rings.   

7 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

That's fair but most of those rings weren't due to him carrying the team.  Top 10 defenses got him there.  

Yes, but fairly or unfairly wins in this league are attached to the QB even tho championships are truly a team accomplishment. 

Just now, Pugger said:

Yes, but fairly or unfairly wins in this league are attached to the QB even tho championships are truly a team accomplishment. 

The only reason I started posting in this latest discussion was because some are acting like he's having a terrible season.  A few plays fall differently and the Packers win those games and he plays the same, people would be calling him MVP.  While not his best season it's not that bad.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yup, if at all possible, but at least competent guards. Support staff is extremely important. The best can't be their best, if the support staff sucks. This is a TEAM sport. Some of you seem to think this is an individual sport like gymnastics or track. That ain't how it works in football and other team sports. Think about baseball pitchers. They're better with a great defense behind them, right? 

Obviously teammates matter. It's clearly a team sport, but then why are so many teammates thrown under the bus instead of Rodgers? Talent on both sides of the ball could be better, for sure. But that doesn't excuse his poor play.

Edited by Striker

15 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

The only reason I started posting in this latest discussion was because some are acting like he's having a terrible season.  A few plays fall differently and the Packers win those games and he plays the same, people would be calling him MVP.  While not his best season it's not that bad.  

Even if a few plays fall differently. he's still having a sub optimal season for a QB being paid the most $$ in NFL history. His ridiculous number of throwaways are one of the few things that separate 2018 Aaron Rodgers from 2015 Aaron Rodgers.

5 minutes ago, Striker said:

Even if a few plays fall differently. he's still having a sub optimal season for a QB being paid the most $$ in NFL history. His ridiculous number of throwaways are one of the few things that separate 2018 Aaron Rodgers from 2015 Aaron Rodgers.

While I agree he is having a sub-optimal season, why do you think he has had the ridiculous amount of throwaways? I would guess playing with 2 rookie receivers and a beat up interior line plays a major role. Not to say Rodgers shouldn't shoulder some of the blame, but those two factors seem to play a large role. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Rodgers is going to be up for this game .. he can stifle the critics with a great performance against the Bears defense.  Maybe he'll flop, but I have this strange feeling he is going to do some carving.  We should definitely run a similar scheme to what he ran in the second half of the opener ... hurry up, spread them out, short passing game, shotgun, etc. 

Maybe you are right about the short passing game.  But I feel this way...if GB doesn't hand the ball off...early and often...it is going to be both a long and short day for GB.  Long in the fact that Chicago is going to roll us, easily.  Short in that Rodgers will probably be banged up and out of the game.

I don't care if it is Spriggs or Bulaga blocking Mack, while Hicks and Roberson go 1:1 inside with Floyd sometimes crashing the other side.  That o-line is going to be overmatched.  I'd run if for no other reason than to protect Rodgers, so long as the scoreboard isn't too out of hand.  

My hope is that Pettine and that defense will have a lot of tape concerning the Nagy/Trubisky offense and can throw them some looks that confuse the young QB.  At least long enough for us to get a little momentum.