Carson Wentz... or this haul?

mistakey

Carson Wentz... or this haul?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather have

• Carson Wentz
    • This haul

6 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I;m not ignoring the players I am ignoring extra trades. Those have no bearing on the original trade. The browns needed assets and they got them does that mean the eagles should feel bad about trading up for a franchise QB because the browns did with those picks probably something no other team would have?

But theoretically any team could have and the Browns did so unless you go by just the picks themselves you can't compare the players that each team got from that trade unless you include Jack Conklin, Connor Cook and other players who weren't selected by the Browns but were picked in the slots traded and wouldn't likely be the pick that either team would have made if they stayed in that slot.

7 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Nah the browns made 1 trade with the eagles not 5. 

Trading down from those picks was the Browns own choice because of how garbage they are as a team. It shouldn't be used against the eagles in some weird comparison to try and make browns fans feel better about passing on a talented young Qb the team didnt believe in. 

Yeah all of the trades absolutely should be used. When the Browns and Eagles made trades they swapped assets (Draft Picks). The Browns have utilized a strategy to capitalize on these assets that were given to them by the Eagles, and have been able to accrue both players and more high draft picks. Prior to the trade they didn't have the aforementioned assets, and were only able to capitalize on them because of the trade with the Eagles. Again it makes no sense not to include them as they are a direct result of the trade with the Eagles. Seems like a brilliant strategy if you are a team in rebuild mode that doesn't view Wentz as a sure fire Franchise QB. It is not a weird comparison to make Browns fans feel better and brings up a very valid point regarding the Browns current strategy of acquiring tons of high draft picks to rebuild their team through the draft. 

At this point in time it is way to early to tell who wins, but based off of potential it's hard not to side with the Browns as I'm not that high on Wentz, and if Kizer/Kessler develops into a quality starter this could go down as one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL. I'm interested to see what come from that 1st round pick from Houston, and 2nd round pick from the Eagles next year. 

This is a trade that benefited both teams all in all. Getting Wentz was an upgrade most likely for us at QB for a long time, enabling us to trade Captain Checkdown Sam Bradford, which turned into Derek Barnett (14th pick).

From the Eagles perspective, the 1st round pick was a wash.

On 8/30/2017 at 2:16 PM, bigjohnson2009 said:

Carson Wentz is an interesting debate. I've read evaluators like Cian Fahey say he will fizzle, execs like Joe Banner say he will boom. I'm still thinking the answer to this questions is TBD, but what a haul of assets for CLE regardless.

Please, do not call Cian Fahey an evaluator. :/

On 9/1/2017 at 4:20 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Presnap Reads' Analysis of Wentz;

McCloughan is an accomplished GM and he may be right that Wentz is the best young quarterback in the NFL, the problem is he hasn’t shown it yet. Being a thick and tall quarterback isn’t valuable if you don’t move your feet in the pocket, diagnose coverages or deliver the ball accurately. As a rookie, Wentz was bad. He wasn’t just bad because he was a rookie, he was bad even while acknowledging that he’s a rookie.

He threw 31 interceptable passes and had an interceptable pass rate of 5.11 percent, right next to Blake Bortles. Wentz’s interceptable passes came in different ways but his most consistent mistakes were also his most egregious. He regularly threw the ball too far infield when trying to throw the sideline and his overthrows when attacking the middle of the field were so bad that it often looked like he was targeting the safety who would wait for the ball like a punt returner. It would be easier to assume development from Wentz if he wasn’t just a matter of months younger than Bortles. Wentz also has issues that typically don’t get better with experience.

Everything you do as a quarterback starts with your footwork. Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are always in position to throw the ball, turn to the other side of the field or react to pressure because their feet are always quick and balanced. Wentz showed bad footwork in college before improving at the start of his rookie season. He regressed back to his college form after a couple of weeks. That was when he began planting his heels in the ground, staring down his first read and waiting for the pressure to come before forcing throws. When you root your feet into the ground like that you are shutting down your options as a passer while making your offensive line look bad. Doug Pederson runs a quarterback-friendly offense that gives Wentz opportunities to get rid of the ball quickly, that should help him be productive in spite of his flaws. But once it comes to making the difficult play and playing against good defenses, Wentz will have major problems.

Give me the haul....

You do know that Peyton Manning led the league in interceptions as a rookie. It is a meaningless stat unless it continues in his 2nd season.

The Eagles did a fantastic job building a team pre Pederson, but they lacked what separates most average teams to quality teams, and that's a franchise QB. There's always the Carr/Wilson route of lucking into a solid starter but it happens less often than drafting a guy you anoint. Cleveland has a great chance to get themselves into relevancy off this trade, but Philadelphia is essentially there already. For that reason and the fact they own their 2018 1st I'll go with Wentz.

Archived