Playstation 5

showtime

35 minutes ago, 43M said:

I agree with @Outpost31.

How people spend their money is completely up to them, but WTF does the PS5 offer at this point to make it worth going nuts trying to find one?    I could understand if it launched with several top end exclusives like GOW 2, HZD 2, SpiderMan 2(Miles Morales was a glorified DLC that you can also get on PS4) and others....but there is very little that currently makes it worth having at this point.  Most new consoles aren't worth getting immediately for any other reason but just to say you have one.

Again, I am not knocking anyone who wanted it and got it… but  it's somewhat silly to go nuts trying to find it before there are any notable reasons to own it.   Its like when 4K first started rolling out but there was hardly anything that supported true 4K, yet people were still rushing out and spending thousands on 4K TVs.

Could say the same thing for basically any console this close to launch. It's the same mentality that causes people to line up around the block to get a new iPhone whenever one comes out. Except unlike the iPhone, the PS5 is actually a quality product that won't break down within a year. 

3 minutes ago, Starless said:

Could say the same thing for basically any console this close to launch. It's the same mentality that causes people to line up around the block to get a new iPhone whenever one comes out. Except unlike the iPhone, the PS5 is actually a quality product that won't break down within a year. 

Yeah, thats why I noted that most new consoles arent really worth it IMMEDIATELY.

It will eventually be great to have, but even if I had the chance to buy one right now, I wouldn't.   I do want ine, but Id rather wait to see if they offer the system in different colors or sizes, and obviously, some more top end games to come out that really make use of next gen hardware.

Just now, 43M said:

Yeah, thats why I noted that most new consoles arent really worth it IMMEDIATELY.

It will eventually be great to have, but even if I had the chance to buy one right now, I wouldn't.   I do want ine, but Id rather wait to see if they offer the system in different colors or sizes, and obviously, some more top end games to come out that really make use of next gen hardware.

I didn't get a PS4 until 2018 and that was (initially) purely to play Bloodborne and The Last of Us. 
Probably gonna get a PS5 a little bit earlier. Right around when Elden Ring finally drops. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Starless said:

I didn't get a PS4 until 2018 and that was (initially) purely to play Bloodborne and The Last of Us. 
Probably gonna get a PS5 a little bit earlier. Right around when Elden Ring finally drops. 

Yeah, I got mine in 2017, soon after the PS4 Pros launched.

Ill get a PS5, at earliest, when God of War 2 and Horizon 2 are out.

Edited by 43M

10 hours ago, Starless said:

I am on my third iPhone now. The first two lasted 3 years before I got bored with the phone and it started to slow down and the battery was basically shot on it. So I was ok with upgrading. I don't see anything bad about the Iphones.

11 hours ago, 43M said:

I agree with @Outpost31.

How people spend their money is completely up to them, but WTF does the PS5 offer at this point to make it worth going nuts trying to find one?    I could understand if it launched with several top end exclusives like GOW 2, HZD 2, SpiderMan 2(Miles Morales was a glorified DLC that you can also get on PS4) and others....but there is very little that currently makes it worth having at this point.  Most new consoles aren't worth getting immediately for any other reason but just to say you have one.

Again, I am not knocking anyone who wanted it and got it… but  it's somewhat silly to go nuts trying to find it before there are any notable reasons to own it.   Its like when 4K first started rolling out but there was hardly anything that supported true 4K, yet people were still rushing out and spending thousands on 4K TVs.

I have one. Got lucky, and made it to GameStop for an in-person order. I was the last one to get it. Paid more than I wanted because it was a bundle, but I'm not unhappy wit the decision.

I'm not going to disagree with you, but I also can't agree with you. If the game was made for PS5, and also launched on PS4, it's a totally different experience between the two. The speed, and nearly zero load times, are great, but what really makes the PS5 is the controller. I got Miles Morals with the bundle (I was gonna buy it anyways), and it also came with the remastered version of the original PS4 Spider-Man, which I played. I went through the new one, so I decided to play the remastered, and it's a totally different experience due to the controller. The vibrations, and the way the pressure changes on the the triggers , makes it so much more engaging. On the PS4 the controller would just vibrate on one side or the other when your Spidey senses were triggered. On the PS5 you can actually tell where it's coming from because the way the controller vibrates. When you swing on the PS4, it's just pressing R2. On the PS5 the pressure it takes to press the trigger changes based on the way you swing. It's heavier when you start slow, and changing directions, and gets easier as you speed up. Seems minor, but changes the way the entire game feels. On shooters the aiming changes pressure based on the gun, and so does the trigger. Using a big sniper, the aim is really heavy, and it's light on a handgun. When you shot an auto weapon there's a small dead zone, and it's a little heavy to shoot. A sniper has no give, and it's lighter to shoot. It really changes the way the games feel, and it's really noticeable going between a PS4 game on the PS5 and a PS5 game.

Is it worth to work it takes to get one? Yes. Is it worth spending $330-$500+ over retail to get one? No, but only because they'll eventually be available everywhere. While the same games are available on both systems, and they look mostly the same, the experience playing them is a lot different. To me this is a bigger upgrade than it was from the PS3 to PS3, or PS3 to PS4.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I have one. Got lucky, and made it to GameStop for an in-person order. I was the last one to get it. Paid more than I wanted because it was a bundle, but I'm not unhappy wit the decision.

I'm not going to disagree with you, but I also can't agree with you. If the game was made for PS5, and also launched on PS4, it's a totally different experience between the two. The speed, and nearly zero load times, are great, but what really makes the PS5 is the controller. I got Miles Morals with the bundle (I was gonna buy it anyways), and it also came with the remastered version of the original PS4 Spider-Man, which I played. I went through the new one, so I decided to play the remastered, and it's a totally different experience due to the controller. The vibrations, and the way the pressure changes on the the triggers , makes it so much more engaging. On the PS4 the controller would just vibrate on one side or the other when your Spidey senses were triggered. On the PS5 you can actually tell where it's coming from because the way the controller vibrates. When you swing on the PS4, it's just pressing R2. On the PS5 the pressure it takes to press the trigger changes based on the way you swing. It's heavier when you start slow, and changing directions, and gets easier as you speed up. Seems minor, but changes the way the entire game feels. On shooters the aiming changes pressure based on the gun, and so does the trigger. Using a big sniper, the aim is really heavy, and it's light on a handgun. When you shot an auto weapon there's a small dead zone, and it's a little heavy to shoot. A sniper has no give, and it's lighter to shoot. It really changes the way the games feel, and it's really noticeable going between a PS4 game on the PS5 and a PS5 game.

Is it worth to work it takes to get one? Yes. Is it worth spending $330-$500+ over retail to get one? No, but only because they'll eventually be available everywhere. While the same games are available on both systems, and they look mostly the same, the experience playing them is a lot different. To me this is a bigger upgrade than it was from the PS3 to PS3, or PS3 to PS4.

Now this is the kind of review I wanted. I wonder how it changes for things like Madden and Ratchet and Clank.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

I am on my third iPhone now. The first two lasted 3 years before I got bored with the phone and it started to slow down and the battery was basically shot on it. So I was ok with upgrading. I don't see anything bad about the Iphones.

I mean, it's well-documented that Apple has a policy of planned obsolescence that it pushes onto its products, on top of intentionally making them unreasonably hard to repair, to the point of actually using legal harassment to put repair shops out of business

5 minutes ago, Starless said:

I mean, it's well-documented that Apple has a policy of planned obsolescence that it pushes onto its products, on top of intentionally making them unreasonably hard to repair, to the point of actually using legal harassment to put repair shops out of business

That's fine. But they make a good phone and after 3 years, regardless of who my phone is made by, I'm getting a new one anyway.

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I'm not going to disagree with you, but I also can't agree with you. If the game was made for PS5, and also launched on PS4, it's a totally different experience between the two. The speed, and nearly zero load times, are great, but what really makes the PS5 is the controller.

I got Miles Morals with the bundle (I was gonna buy it anyways), and it also came with the remastered version of the original PS4 Spider-Man, which I played. I went through the new one, so I decided to play the remastered, and it's a totally different experience due to the controller. The vibrations, and the way the pressure changes on the the triggers , makes it so much more engaging. On the PS4 the controller would just vibrate on one side or the other when your Spidey senses were triggered. On the PS5 you can actually tell where it's coming from because the way the controller vibrates. When you swing on the PS4, it's just pressing R2. On the PS5 the pressure it takes to press the trigger changes based on the way you swing. It's heavier when you start slow, and changing directions, and gets easier as you speed up. Seems minor, but changes the way the entire game feels. On shooters the aiming changes pressure based on the gun, and so does the trigger. Using a big sniper, the aim is really heavy, and it's light on a handgun. When you shot an auto weapon there's a small dead zone, and it's a little heavy to shoot. A sniper has no give, and it's lighter to shoot. It really changes the way the games feel, and it's really noticeable going between a PS4 game on the PS5 and a PS5 game.

Is it really, though?  I mean,  I know there are some differences, but TOTALLY different?  

I get the framerates are higher and load times, but I guess personally, those things arent necessarily a HUGE deal for me unless they are really out of hand (like ridiculously long load times or really poor frame rates...usually in games that arent optimized that well).

As far as controllers, I know everyone has their preferences, but as long as it feels decent in my hands, a controller is a controller.  

I am used to the PS controllers for the most part, but I havent held a PS5 controller yet, so its hard to say.

Either way, if those things add that much more enjoyment to your experience, I am happy you got one immediately.

Personally, I can wait for that stuff.    

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Depends what you mean by "worth what it takes".

Obviously, thats going to mean different things to different people.

Ive never been one to go over the top to get electronics, clothes....anything materialistic really....mainly because, as you noted, they will eventually be available to everyone, and possibly much cheaper.   When it comes to electronics, especially consoles, I always thought it smarter to wait a bit to wait for better games and optimization of both the games and the consoles.    

I am happy for anyone who got one and enjoys their purchase, but if I dont get one until early or mid 2022, I am perfectly fine with that.    I have a big enough backlog of older games to keep me happy for awhile.   🙂

I just gave several reasons why the console is worth it on the last page.

We've never had a new console come up and improve the quality of games on the generation before it.  Like for example, when the Xbox One came out, Gears of War 3 still looked and played the same way as it did on the Xbox 360.

On the PS5, it has taken some games from previous gen and have actually improved them. I gave the example of Borderlands 3 going from 30 fps to 120 fps. That's freaking massive.  Spider-Man on PS4 went from 30 fps to 60 fps WITH ray tracing on.  That's huge. The game is so much smoother and looks so much better. Also, going from having loading screens to having no loading screens.  Or in NBA 2K... if you play a MyCareer game, you have to wait for like a minute and a half/two minutes for the game to fully load and start playing.  On next gen, you click to play the game and immediate load into it.... no loading screens.

To me, if you don't have it and want to wait then that's fine and reasonable. But the console is def worth buying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Is it really, though?  I mean,  I know there are some differences, but TOTALLY different?  

I get the framerates are higher and load times, but I guess personally, those things arent necessarily a HUGE deal for me unless they are really out of hand (like ridiculously long load times or really poor frame rates...usually in games that arent optimized that well).

I don't know if it was your intention, but the question is a little loaded. I don't want to oversell the difference, but I also don't want top undersell it. Asking if it's totally different makes you go one way or the other, so I'll try to break it down better.

I would compare the difference to watching a movie you really like on your TV, with the TV speakers, and going to see the same movie in IMAX. It doesn't change how you feel about the movie, but the experience is much more engaging. Even though you've seen it, the bigger screen draws you in more, and the sound makes you feel like your there (Sound processing on the PS5 is way better too, which is something I forgot). So if you play action games, or shooters, the experience is very different.

4 hours ago, 43M said:

As far as controllers, I know everyone has their preferences, but as long as it feels decent in my hands, a controller is a controller.  

I am used to the PS controllers for the most part, but I havent held a PS5 controller yet, so its hard to say.

Either way, if those things add that much more enjoyment to your experience, I am happy you got one immediately.

Personally, I can wait for that stuff.    

Honestly, I didn't pay any attention to the controller before the release because I felt the same. It's a lot different this time around. The controller isn't just something in your hand that makes something on the screen move. It's actually integrated into the experience now. It doesn't just vibrate left and right with different intensities. It has different areas of vibration on each side, different types of vibration in each of those areas, and the intensity can be different in each of the areas. Then the triggers add to it. May not sound like much, but it really makes the game play different. The game that comes with it, Astro's Playroom, has a controller demo. If you see it on display, or know somebody that has one, try that, and you'll see the difference.

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Depends what you mean by "worth what it takes".

You have to be on it to get one. Nothing crazy, but there's some work involved. I was following a bunch of Twitter accounts that gave stock updates, and release info. You may also have to make a physical appearance in the store. I had friends that were keeping an eye out too. There's also a lot of disappointment involved because they are so hard to get.

I still play on a 1080p/60 DLP, with a 5.1 surround system. It's not the visuals that make it better for me, and I still think it was well worth it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

Now this is the kind of review I wanted. I wonder how it changes for things like Madden and Ratchet and Clank.

I haven't tried any sports games yet, but Ratchet and Clank would have everything I talked about. I'm not sure if EA made an actual PS5 version of Madden, or if it's a port with updated graphics. That's the real difference.

I got talked into buying CoD: Cold War in the PS4/PS5 edition before I got the PS5, and my buddies drag me into Warzone, which is only a PS4 game right now. Cold War make the triggers feel completely different depending on the gun you use, and makes the controller vibrate in different areas so you actually know where you're getting shot. Warzone feels the same as the PS4. Going between the two is weird. Same terrible CoD games, very different experiences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, showtime said:

Also, going from having loading screens to having no loading screens.  Or in NBA 2K... if you play a MyCareer game, you have to wait for like a minute and a half/two minutes for the game to fully load and start playing.  On next gen, you click to play the game and immediate load into it.... no loading screens.

To me, if you don't have it and want to wait then that's fine and reasonable. But the console is def worth buying.

The Spider-Man game on the PS4 had load scenes of him on the subway when you'd fast travel. The remastered version on PS5 goes from click, to walking out of the subway. Something you don't notice how nice it is until you're playing.

I agree. If you don't have one, it's probably not a big deal to wait. Once you've had the chance to play on a PS5, it makes it worth getting one.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, showtime said:

For the record, my argument was never that it isnt worth buying. 

I just personally dont feel its worth going nuts trying to find one RIGHT NOW....whether that means searching websites for hours on end hoping for a restock, or paying notably above market value to get one.