2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

Just now, DiehardBronxFan said:

But that ignores the situation. Bush was there for us, a value pick at 10, at a position of need, with a significant drop off in quality at that position after him. It’s not all just math.  

Yeah, but so was TE.  Further, there are still some good ILBs left, same with TE and arguably TEs will go faster.  Bush is my favorite player in this draft, but this was not a bad trade by Denver.  Fant is the best receiving TE in this draft...by a mile...and fills just as big of a need as Bush.

Keep in mind outside of Sutton, Denver really has nothing in receiving targets.  Sanders is coming off a torn Achilles.  Denver’s LBs with Jewell and Davis are in better shape than Denver’s receiving targets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

You dont know until you try. If you dont try, you end up 5-11 with Joe Flacco, Case Keenum, Trevor Siemian, Kyle Orton, ect as your QB.

You fire until you hit. Thats how QB works.

Not really. It leads to people taking QB's way higher than they should, and passing on better players. 2011 is an example. Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert had no business being first-round picks. And, those teams had to draft first-round QB's three to four years later.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Whats their success in the 2nd-7th rounds for QBs? Or are you just content with veteran castoffs forever praying you can win without a good young QB.

The problem is there was no QB worth taking in Rd1 IMO outside of Haskins.  I will agree with you that we could really regret Haskins being passed at 1.10.   It's a very fair take.   But the flip side is a failed 1st rounder is as bad, because then you not only whiff on the draft capital - you also commit to missed opportunity costs in future years.

Also remember that I don't think we're legit contenders - we need to hit 2 more drafts to return to that status.  And yes, we need to find a QBOTF.  But I do not believe that guy was out there except Haskins.  We passed on him, so I get we may regret that in a big way.  Can't argue the take.  But there's a flip side to your scenario.  Whiff on Rd1 picks, you not only lose out on the alternative, but you also deprive your chance to pick from a better talent pool in the next 1-2 years.   I firmly believe with the rest of the class, that's the case (but I will concede Haskins as I was totally good with him at 1.10).

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

So what should Denver give up to trade back into the 1st for Lock

I don't think that'll happen. If they trade back up I'd expect Risner. Elways out to prove Joe can succeed with a good team around him and IOL kind of completes the puzzle.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You dont know until you try. If you dont try, you end up 5-11 with Joe Flacco, Case Keenum, Trevor Siemian, Kyle Orton, ect as your QB.

You fire until you hit. Thats how QB works because if you dont hit, you have nothing and the Broncos currently have nothing.

With this logic the Broncos should've drafted Haskins, Lock, and trade for Rosen and then select Tyree Jackson in the late rounds and then let them compete with Garrett Grayson to find out that none of them are that great.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You fire until you hit. Thats how QB works because if you dont hit, you have nothing and the Broncos currently have nothing.

Except that's not how it works.   

You fire on a 1st...you don't spend another 1st until you are sure that other 1st round guy isn't the answer.  That's usually 3 years later.  That's a huge diff.

I have ZERO issue with your take that Haskins was a guy worth taking.  Not everyone agrees, but I do.   I don't think it's a blanket statement because of the 3-year commitment that happens when you spend Rd1 picks.

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, but so was TE.  Further, there are still some good ILBs left, same with TE and arguably TEs will go faster.  Bush is my favorite player in this draft, but this was not a bad trade by Denver.  Fant is the best receiving TE in this draft...by a mile...and fills just as big of a need as Bush.

Keep in mind outside of Sutton, Denver really has nothing in receiving targets.  Sanders is coming off a torn Achilles.  Denver’s LBs with Jewell and Davis are in better shape than Denver’s receiving targets.

Love the Fant pick.  The pick is irrelevant to the value of the original trade.  Fant could just have easily been gone by 20

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

The problem is there was no QB worth taking in Rd1 IMO outside of Haskins.  I will agree with you that we could really regret Haskins being passed at 1.10.   It's a very fair take.   But the flip side is a failed 1st rounder is as bad, because then you not only whiff on the draft capital - you also commit to missed opportunity costs in future years.

Also remember that I don't think we're legit contenders - we need to hit 2 more drafts to return to that status.  And yes, we need to find a QBOTF.  But I do not believe that guy was out there except Haskins.  We passed on him, so I get we may regret that in a big way.  Can't argue the take.  But there's a flip side to your scenario.  Whiff on Rd1 picks, you not only lose out on the alternative, but you also deprive your chance to pick from a better talent pool in the next 1-2 years.   I firmly believe with the rest of the class, that's the case (but I will concede Haskins as I was totally good with him at 1.10).

The proble is you not only passed on Haskins, but then passed on multiple other positions that would have helped a helluva lot more than Noah Fant. I would have accepted a OL or a CB like Greedy Williams/Baker/Layne or ANYBODY that could help a position group from day 1.

They not only passed on Bush when they have essentially nobody at LB, but they passed on other immediate need postions including QB for a ROTATIONAL TE?!?!

Thats the part that pisses me off. I get standing behind Flacco evenough they choked out Haskins---but at least get a player that helps a position of need which they didnt.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

The proble is you not only passed on Haskins, but then passed on multiple other positions that would have helped a helluva lot more than Noah Fant. I would have accepted a OL or a CB like Greedy Williams/Baker/Layne or ANYBODY that could help a position group from day 1.

They not only passed on Bush when they have essentially nobody at LB, but they passed on other immediate need postions including QB for a ROTATIONAL TE?!?!

Thats the part that pisses me off. I get standing behind Flacco evenough they choked out Haskins---but at least get a player that helps a position of need which they didnt.

Well all the DBs are still available so that’s not terrible.  

I personally wanted Bush, but Fangio must’ve not been pushing very hard for him