2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

3 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

With this logic the Broncos should've drafted Haskins, Lock, and trade for Rosen and then select Tyree Jackson in the late rounds and then let them compete with Garrett Grayson to find out that none of them are that great.

With this logic the Broncos should have drafted Haskins at #10 and have had an actual future. But yet---we are trying make Flacco, who couldnt beat out Lammar 'Tim Tebow' Jackson at 35 years old for a starting QB spot.

What about "if you dont have a QBOTF you dont matter" is hard to comprehend.

Signed,

Also a Browns fan.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

The proble is you not only passed on Haskins, but then passed on multiple other positions that would have helped a helluva lot more than Noah Fant. I would have accepted a OL or a CB like Greedy Williams/Baker/Layne or ANYBODY that could help a position group from day 1.

They not only passed on Bush when they have essentially nobody at LB, but they passed on other immediate need postions including QB for a ROTATIONAL TE?!?!

Thats the part that pisses me off. I get standing behind Flacco evenough they choked out Haskins---but at least get a player that helps a position of need which they didnt.

But they did get a position of need.  Again, people forget Denver is essentially rolling out Sutton, Hamilton, Patrick, Huereman as their receiving targets.  Sanders and Butt are coming off major injuries.

Enter Noah Fant, who can lineup all over the formation.  

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

The proble is you not only passed on Haskins, but then passed on multiple other positions that would have helped a helluva lot more than Noah Fant. I would have accepted a OL or a CB like Greedy Williams/Baker/Layne or ANYBODY that could help a position group from day 1.

They not only passed on Bush when they have essentially nobody at LB, but they passed on other immediate need postions including QB for a ROTATIONAL TE?!?!

Thats the part that pisses me off. I get standing behind Flacco evenough they choked out Haskins---but at least get a player that helps a position of need which they didnt.

I don't think we're good enough frankly to get positions of need as the driving factor.   I really don't.  I think we need difference makers across the board.  I do think Fant could be that special.  I think Hock is even more because of his 2-way game.   But I saw both as special.

Keep in mind I only thought OJ Howard & Njoku were worth going Rd1.  I didn't say that about Goedert/others last year.  Or guys 3 years prior.  I don't think Irv Smith is worth that now.  So I don't say it lightly when I think this is a talent call.  We just need more talent across the board.  And yes we need QBOTF.  To me that would have been Haskins.   I'm with you there in criticizing the move from that perspective, it could very well be the decision we regret most.  But I don't think it's an all-encompassing statement to all QB's available.  That's all many of us are saying (while others are doubtful on Haskins, and yeah, that might be being gunshy).

I also get the risk that we may be in a worse position next year to get QBOTF - why I was praying we could do a 2020 pick swap to get a 2nd 1st...or at least PIT's 2020 2nd.  But what's done is done.  That's a fair point you haven't raised (but no doubt will later lol, and I get it).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

Well all the DBs are still available so that’s not terrible.  

I personally wanted Bush, but Fangio must’ve not been pushing very hard for him 

My problem is they passed up so much immediate contributors at positions of need for such a 'BLEEEEHHH' pick. If they took Risner, Bush, Haskins, Lock, Williams, Baker, ect, ect. I would have been fine. The fact that they passed on all of those (especilly QB) for a rotational TE who wont come into his own until 2022 pisses me off. They punted their 1st round pick IMO unless Noah Fant comes out of nowhere to become a top 5 TE in the NFL by year 2.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Lol, in what world is TE not a position of need? It's been a bunch of stiffs and gimps there for years, not one difference maker. 

Agreed.  Not even just factoring in a pure TE, this offense has no weapons at receiver outside of Sutton. 

• Like 1

With this logic the Broncos should have drafted Haskins at #10 and have had an actual future. But yet---we are trying make Flacco, who couldnt beat out Lammar 'Tim Tebow' Jackson at 35 years old for a starting QB spot.

What about "if you dont have a QBOTF you dont matter" is hard to comprehend.

Signed,

Also a Browns fan.

The Broncos have the youngest team on the NFL. How do they not have a future. If the Broncos come out with three or four quality players from this draft class, along with last year's class....and all they need by next years draft is a QB, which is supposed to posses better QB talent than this year...I'll take that.

Are you insane?  Have you watched the Broncos TE play for the past - what - 6 years or so?  TE has been a position of need since Julius Thomas left.  All 3 of their TE’s were on IR at the end of last year.  No idea if Butt will ever be decent player again.  No idea if Fangio will amount to anything at all.  Heurmann has proven to be decidedly average, when and if he stays healthy.  

And stop with the “need somebody that can contribute year 1” shtuff.  If contributing Day 1 were the meaningful criteria, everybody would be taking Running Backs.  What did they take? DL’s, the other position that takes the longest time to develop. 

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

My problem is they passed up so much immediate contributors at positions of need for such a 'BLEEEEHHH' pick. If they took Risner, Bush, Haskins, Lock, Williams, Baker, ect, ect. I would have been fine. The fact that they passed on all of those (especilly QB) for a rotational TE who wont come into his own until 2022 pisses me off. They punted their 1st round pick IMO unless Noah Fant comes out of nowhere to become a top 5 TE in the NFL by year 2.

Hock is safer IMO because of his blocking.  Your concern about how long it takes is fair.

But if there's a college team to target to get impact year 2 TE's, it's Iowa's.  They get TE's more ready than anyone else, their O has the complexity in TE option routes and blocking that the learning curve isn't as steep - it's just the speed adjustment.   So take that FWIW.

I hope you can see I see the merit in your points re: Haskins and the risk with TE Rd1.  I'm with you on both counts.  I do think Fant and Hock were worth it (like I thought OJ Howard and Njoku were as well - I'll admit Njoku looks like he's going to miss on justifying the Rd1 pick, I do not believe OJ Howard will, but we'll see).

Here's the bottom line - if Haskins works out as a top 10 QB, we'll regret it as long as we don't have one.  No matter how good Fant is.   ZERO argument.  If Haskins doesn't work out, then it isn't a disaster.   And yes, if we don't invest early, we increase the chances we don't hit - the #'s support that point. But it doesn't mean you take ANY QB Rd1 because you don't have to - I hear you on Haskins - I just don't see it with anyone else.   That's all.  I do think we need to hit Rd1 hard next year if the class is there - the problem being it might cost even more than 1.10 this year.   FWIW I was sold on Rosen at 1.5 over Chubb last year, because I believed in him as worth it (and Darnold/Mayfield, the latter after much convincing by @Counselor).   I just am willing to wait until next year given who we'd be reaching for now (Haskins would have been fine with).

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Love the Fant pick.  The pick is irrelevant to the value of the original trade.  Fant could just have easily been gone by 20

But that's my argument. There's no way Elway *knew* Fant would still be there; in fact, he probably shouldn't have been. Which makes that trade all the more stupid imho. It's like Elway just traded back for the hell of it, which would be fine if we had at least won the trade. But turning over a an all-pro caliber ILB to a team that's desperate for him when you apparently didn't have any kind of actual plan was stupid. Especially when you factor in that we didn't exactly make out like bandits on the trade value and we totally could have. The fact that Fant fell to us at 20 makes this a lucky pick, not a good one. Elway should be thanking his lucky stars right now lol.

3 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Are you insane?  Have you watched the Broncos TE play for the past - what - 6 years or so?  TE has been a position of need since Julius Thomas left.  All 3 of their TE’s were on IR at the end of last year.  No idea if Butt will ever be decent player again.  No idea if Fangio will amount to anything at all.  Heurmann has proven to be decidedly average, when and if he stays healthy.  

And stop with the “need somebody that can contribute year 1” shtuff.  If contributing Day 1 were the meaningful criteria, everybody would be taking Running Backs.  What did they take? DL’s, the other position that takes the longest time to develop. 

TES DONT DICTATE HOW GOOD YOUR TEAM IS QBs DO!!!! lol There is only maybe 5 TEs in the entire NFL worth half a crap 

Edited by AkronsWitness

I don’t get the hate for the Fant pick. I can understand the desire to take Haskins or Bush at 10 and that we didn’t get killer value in the trade. But if we were picking organically at 20 and got Fant I think we’d be happy, no? 

And Rich Eisen is absolutely awful on NFLN. Why not have Kay Adams from GMFB host? Eisen has been horrendous.