2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Broncos didnt make a good pick.

1) They just signed Jeff Heuerman to an extension. They also have Jake Butt healthy.

2) They got gunshy on a QB again and passed on both Haskins/Lock twice.

3) They are literally building their team around 35 year old Joe Flacco's strengths with multiple TEs

4) AND THE MOST IMPORTANT: There has not been a TE selected in the 1st round that has produced like a 1st rounder for any amount of substantial time since 2006 with Vernon Davis.

The Broncos just passed on Haskins/Bush/Sweat and Lock (twice) for a complimentary TE with minimal position value.

Fire yourself Elway.

FWIW I think OJ Howard is about to break that streak.   And I do think Hock and Fant were the 2 next ones - Iowa TE's are so much more advanced.  I recognize that being a move TE, though, his impact isn't as good as Hock's. 

I think we could regret passing on Haskins/Bush, because if they are top 10 QB's/elite ILB's, those are difference-makers (ILB not on many teams, but yes on Fangio D's).   That's a more than valid point - and the return wasn't great enough IMO to downgrade from Bush/Haskins to Fant. 

For 1.20 itslef, though, I won't knock the Fant pick in a vacuum.  I dislike that we didn't get book value or better, given PIT wanted Bush badly.   

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Walter Football likes this pick:

I give it an A as well.  Fant isn’t just a chain mover/red zone threat as he’s getting tabbed.  He’s a 6’5” 250 pounder with 4.50 speed.  He’s a mismatch all over the field.  His blocking needs work, but he shows willingness in the area.  The Shanahan WCO features TEs in mismatch situations and Fant is fully capable of feasting in those situations.  

I know people are saying it’ll take a few years and most TEs do, but I think Fant is a day 1 impact in the passing game because of his size and ability to lineup all over the field.  He’ll hopefully develop into more of a complete TE, but even if he doesn’t he can lineup out wide or as a big slot.

• Like 2

Just now, germ-x said:

I give it an A as well.  Fant isn’t just a chain mover/red zone threat as he’s getting tabbed.  He’s a 6’5” 250 pounder with 4.50 speed.  He’s a mismatch all over the field.  His blocking needs work, but he shows willingness in the area.  The Shanahan WCO features TEs in mismatch situations and Fant is fully capable of feasting in those situations.  

I know people are saying it’ll take a few years and most TEs do, but I think Fant is a day 1 impact in the passing game because of his size and ability to lineup all over the field.  He’ll hopefully develop into more of a complete TE, but even if he doesn’t he can lineup out wide or as a big slot.

Elway probably had flashes of the whipping Kittle put on us 

7 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

First 2 points don’t hold up;

ie: Huerman isn’t good, and Butt might never be good with 2 blown knees 

and if you don’t like lock or Haskins then why take one just to take one?

They invested longterm into Huerman----he was a highly rated prospect who produced when healthy. Butt was the shock of last years draft and Elway loved him but he has injuries.

Lacosse/Huerman/Parker carried Keenum at the end of last year. Why not sign one of them

Finally, TEs drafted in the 1st round are a wasted pick. Oh by the way, its the longest developing position group in the NFL. SO if you rexpecting any sort of immediate contribution then good luck.

To your second point, if you dont have a QB you dont stand a chance in hell. I would take a chance at Haskins/Lock over settling for more retread garbage like Flacco/Keenum and countless others since 2000 are. Every pick is just a pick---the most important one is QB and currently the Broncos dont have one. They have tall Case Keenum with no future backup. again.

Prep yourselves for 5-11, another wasted year of Von, no CHJ with no future QB in sight.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

They invested longterm into Huerman----he was a highly rated prospect who produced when healthy. Butt was the shock of last years draft and Elway loved him but he has injuries.

Lacosse/Huerman/Parker carried Keenum at the end of last year. Why not sign one of them

Finally, TEs drafted in the 1st round are a wasted pick. Oh by the way, its the longest developing position group in the NFL 

To your second point, if you dont have a QB you dont stand a chance in hell. I would take a chance at Haskins/Lock over settling for more retread garbage like Flacco/Keenum and countless others since 2000 are. Every pick is just a pick---the most important one is QB and currently the Broncos dont have one. They have tall Case Keenum with no future backup. 

Yea I want a QBOTF but if you don’t think those guys are capable of being that you don’t waste a 1st rounder just to take a shot in the dark.  That’s dumb

Can people stop with this trade value from 10 to 20?

It was fair value and no one knows what the Steelers were willing to give.  On the chart I looked at Denver gave 1300 for 1280.  The difference in the pick was a 6th rounder.

Again, moving from 10 back to 15 last year was a 3rd round pick.  It was fair value on the deal and arguing that the Steelers could’ve been fleeced in the deal is just opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

Yea I want a QBOTF but if you don’t think those guys are capable of being that you don’t waste a 1st rounder just to take a shot in the dark.  That’s dumb

Didn't the Broncos do that a few years ago, and it didn't really work out that well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

No. TE. Since. 2006. Has. Ever. Had. Consistent. Production. Relative. To. A. 1st. Round. Pick. Since. Vernon. Davis.

The top 3 TEs currently in the NFL are Travis Kelce (3rd), Kittle (5th) and used to be Gronk (2nd).