2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

On a side note, because it's Belichick and he always ends up looking brilliant... What if NE grabs Lock? After all that debate... I wouldn't be shocked. If anyone could coach that kid up, it's Josh McDaniels (as much as a hate to say that)

Just now, 1234567 said:

On a side note, because it's Belichick and he always ends up looking brilliant... What if NE grabs Lock? After all that debate... I wouldn't be shocked. If anyone could coach that kid up, it's Josh McDaniels (as much as a hate to say that)

Be the quintessential NE move

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, let's all take a breath dial it back....no need to get that snappy, or personal.    One of the greatest parts of the Forums is we won't all agree.  Frankly, we shouldn't.   Otherwise, we'd learn NOTHING from each other.  

We don't have to agree.  Frankly, this is a boring, boring place when we don't.

It's tough to be in the minority.  Let's respect that.  Just my 2 cents.  

Participation trophies for everyone then! 

BTW, what's VERY sobering on Lock - assuming NE doesn't go there - we didn't just pass on Lock - every other team passed on Lock, and didn't think he was worth getting the 5th year option on.   Just let that sink in.

Maybe Lock works out, especially on a team with QB gurus who can fix his many problems.   But just let the realization that every team, including teams that have long-term QB needs, didn't think Lock was worth even the 1.32 pick.   Given how teams regularly reach back into Rd1 to get their "projects" and the 5th year option, I feel it vindicates the decision to pass on Lock no matter what.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Just now, Broncofan said:

BTW, what's VERY sobering on Lock - we didn't just pass on Lock - every other team passed on Lock, and didn't think he was worth getting the 5th year option on.   Just let that sink in.

Maybe Lock works out, especially on a team with QB gurus who can fix his many problems.   But just let the realization that every team, including teams that have long-term QB needs, didn't think Lock was worth even the 1.32 pick.   Given how teams regularly reach back into Rd1 to get their "projects", I feel it vindicates the decision to pass on Lock no matter what.  

Every other team assumed Elway was gonna take care of that at 10 or 20 for them 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

You said year three. I think the Broncos go 8-8 all as the direct result of drafting Fant.

I said it will be until year 3 until Fant actually looks like a top 20 pick in the draft IF he ever does and have cited every other 1st round TE dating back till 2006. My point is that any TE because of position value do not improve this team in 2019. A top 20 pick is a immediate reshape of a position group or offense/defense. Fant is not tha guy unless you expect him to be Vernon Davis from day 1

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

BTW, what's VERY sobering on Lock - we didn't just pass on Lock - every other team passed on Lock, and didn't think he was worth getting the 5th year option on.   Just let that sink in.

Maybe Lock works out, especially on a team with QB gurus who can fix his many problems.   But just let the realization that every team, including teams that have long-term QB needs, didn't think Lock was worth even the 1.32 pick.   Given how teams regularly reach back into Rd1 to get their "projects", I feel it vindicates the decision to pass on Lock no matter what.  

Now the question is, how far does he fall? I mean we're talkin like.. He might fall a looooong ways now..

8 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Looking at these late round 1 trades...we got fleeced...again.

I don't know. This morning I wouldn't have thought it possible we could draft Fant and add a 2nd rd pick this year and a 3rd next 

I'm pretty happy about that!

7 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

So if you want immediate impact, go for running back.  We’re not winning the SB next year.  We’re trying to add talent for the future.

Or go for an offensive linemen because the Broncos havent had a good OL since Tom Nalen blocked for Jake Plummer or go for a DB since your about to lose Chris Harris.

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

BTW, what's VERY sobering on Lock - assuming NE doesn't go there - we didn't just pass on Lock - every other team passed on Lock, and didn't think he was worth getting the 5th year option on.   Just let that sink in.

Maybe Lock works out, especially on a team with QB gurus who can fix his many problems.   But just let the realization that every team, including teams that have long-term QB needs, didn't think Lock was worth even the 1.32 pick.   Given how teams regularly reach back into Rd1 to get their "projects" and the 5th year option, I feel it vindicates the decision to pass on Lock no matter what.  

No doubt, but there aren’t a bunch of QB needy teams anymore.  It’s concerning he’s the #4 QB, but if Denver nabs him at #41, #53, or later I’ll give it an A+ grade.  

OK, so for Day 2, who's left that we will be very interested in targeting:

------ DAY 2 ------

1. IOL - Dalton Risner & Cody Ford stand out as huge BPA picks that fit our need, both would be huge upgrades inside - and as @jrry32 (who researched him hard for LAR) points out, Risner has the ability to play T, so there's versatility.  Ford's short arms seem destined for G, but we should recognize that he played T as well.  Both would be fantastic.   The guy who's falling hard is Jawan Taylor - with McGarry going ahead of him, the RT-only label starts to have less traction, as both are likely RT's.  Wonder if there's some off-field issue we haven't heard about yet.

2.  CB - Byron Murphy would be an awesome fit for a Fangio scheme.   Greedy Williams' issues with tackling seem to make him iffier.   The X factor at 2.11 - Rock-Ya Sin.   Given the Harris situation, you gotta think we will consider this hard.

3.  WR - from a pure talent perspective, we should really consider spending a Day 2 pick here.  Only 2 WR's have left the board, and there are a TON of talented WR's who would go late Rd 1 / early Rd 2 in most drafts - so I don't even think we need to spend 43 on WR - but maybe #52?  Or 3.11.  Either way, the depth at WR and Manny Sanders' cloudy future means that this is an area we should explore.  I won't lie - I think CB/IOL is great at 2.43, but say a guy like Hakeem Butler is there - that's a potential alpha WR1, even more than Sutton (yes, I said even more).    And that's before we get to other talents like Andy Isabella (although slot-only is more likely his role so Hamilton's role is less clear), or Myles Boykin (another really intriguing guy), and guys like Parris Campbell.  Now, we could also wait and get guys like Terry McLaurin Rd3 now IMO.   But we have to hit WR Day 2 with one of our 3 picks, the value is too insane not too (the late Rd1 / early-mid round 2 talent pool is  still about 8-9 deep IMO, albeit with very different skill sets).

4.  Developmental T - We need to prepare for life without Juwan James (I know, he just got here, but that's FA for you), and we need T insurance for injury, or if Bolles just can't take the next step in pass pro.   It's impossible to assume we will have 2 T's healthy for 16 games.   So let's hit developmental T starting somwhere in Rd3-4 onwards.  I realize that we may get an IOL Rd2 who could play T - but IMO you can't have enough cheap young depth for T.  

-----DAY 3----

5.  Backup QB - this can wait until Day 3, but we should definitely explore the Thorson/Rypien Rd4-5 idea.  I mention those 2 because Elway brought them (and Stidham) in.  We need a cheap backup, and long-term these guys matter.   While I hated the top tier outside of Haskins, I actually like the 2019 backup-developmental tier, far more than 2018's (which was almost non-existent, while having such a loaded top end).

5.  ILB - sooner or later, we need a pass-coverage ILB, if not 2.  I love @Counselor & @broncos_fan _from _uk's idea of BBK (Ben Burr-Kirven), but we can wait until Day 3.  I don't know that we need to hit this Day 2, the value isn't there.

Ultimately, passing on Haskins and Bush may define our Rd1 - but drafts are more than Rd1.  So hopefully we build on 2018's success (and avoid the 2013-17 failures of Day 2), the encouraging part for Rd2's start is that BPA and need are matching up perfectly - by the time we pick in Rd3, BPA differences aren't nearly as pronounced, so then going need as primary focus becomes very justifiable.  It just so happens need and BPA could fit like a glove Rd2.  We'll see. 

Tomorrow could be awesome - going to see Avengers at 530 PM ET, then back likely just in time for 2.43 lol!  Can't wait!

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

OK, so for Day 2, who's left that we will be very interested in targeting:

------ DAY 2 ------

1. IOL - Dalton Risner & Cody Ford stand out as huge BPA picks that fit our need, both would be huge upgrades inside - and as @jrry32 (who researched him hard for LAR) points out, Risner has the ability to play T, so there's versatility.  Ford's short arms seem destined for G, but we should recognize that he played T as well.  Both would be fantastic.   The guy who's falling hard is Jawan Taylor - with McGarry going ahead of him, the RT-only label starts to have less traction, as both are likely RT's.  Wonder if there's some off-field issue we haven't heard about yet.

2.  CB - Byron Murphy would be an awesome fit for a Fangio scheme.   Greedy Williams' issues with tackling seem to make him iffier.   The X factor at 2.11 - Rock-Ya Sin.   Given the Harris situation, you gotta think we will consider this hard.

3.  WR - from a pure talent perspective, we should really consider spending a Day 2 pick here.  Only 2 WR's have left the board, and there are a TON of talented WR's who would go late Rd 1 / early Rd 2 in most drafts - so I don't even think we need to spend 43 on WR - but maybe #52?  Or 3.11.  Either way, the depth at WR and Manny Sanders' cloudy future means that this is an area we should explore.

4.  Developmental T - We need to prepare for life without Juwan James (I know, he just got here, but that's FA for you), and we need T insurance for injury, or if Bolles just can't take the next step in pass pro.   It's impossible to assume we will have 2 T's healthy for 16 games.   So let's hit developmental T starting somwhere in Rd3-4 onwards.  I realize that we may get an IOL Rd2 who could play T - but IMO you can't have enough cheap young depth for T.  

-----DAY 3----

5.  Backup QB - this can wait until Day 3, but we should definitely explore the Thorson/Rypien Rd4-5 idea.  I mention those 2 because Elway brought them (and Stidham) in.  We need a cheap backup, and long-term these guys matter.   While I hated the top tier outside of Haskins, I actually like the 2019 backup-developmental tier, far more than 2018's (which was almost non-existent, while having such a loaded top end).

5.  ILB - sooner or later, we need a pass-coverage ILB, if not 2.  I love @Counselor & @broncos_fan _from _uk's idea of BBK (Ben Burr-Kirven), but we can wait until Day 3.  I don't know that we need to hit this Day 2, the value isn't there.

Ultimately, passing on Haskins and Bush may define our Rd1 - but drafts are more than Rd1.  So hopefully we build on 2018's success (and avoid the 2013-17 failures of Day 2), the encouraging part for Rd2's start is that BPA and need are matching up perfectly - by the time we pick in Rd3, BPA differences aren't nearly as pronounced, so then going need as primary focus becomes very justifiable.  It just so happens need and BPA could fit like a glove Rd2.  We'll see. 

Tomorrow could be awesome - going to see Avengers at 530 PM ET, then back likely just in time for 2.43 lol!  Can't wait!

I’m going at 9ET hoping to see a few of our picks before hand

• Like 1