1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

58 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It appears that the team they were jumping for Savage was Indy- Had a pick 5 later, traded down, took a DB with their first pick, and drafted 2 safeties.

Are we certain that Baltimore woudln't have wanted him? Yeah the have ET but he's often broken by week 8. Would have been a nice pick for them also and close to home. Likely why they traded out. And to the other poster that noted the Raiders wanted a hitter maybe Gruden nor Mayock would be telling the Pack or any other team that we took their guy. 

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

Are we certain that Baltimore woudln't have wanted him? Yeah the have ET but he's often broken by week 8. Would have been a nice pick for them also and close to home. Likely why they traded out. And to the other poster that noted the Raiders wanted a hitter maybe Gruden nor Mayock would be telling the Pack or any other team that we took their guy. 

I mean, it could have been a bunch of teams that would have taken him in this range (he'd look real good next to Derwin James in powder blue).  But I have to imagine Baltimore was acutely aware of their WR group being the worst in the NFL by a considerable margin.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

But I have to imagine Baltimore was acutely aware of their WR group being the worst in the NFL by a considerable margin.

Former Ravens personnel guy, Milt Hendrickson - has been in GB since back in December. Life long friend of Das Gute
The Packers would have some direct insight into the Ravens draft board and thoughts about Savage 

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Savage is probably the most excited I've been for a guy since Perry.

I love safeties, and I love safeties of his mold/attitude/playing style.

I'm so stoked.

The title of that link shows "#26 Darnell Savage Home Jersey" on my cpu

Confirmed his number? Packers don't have a #26 rostered rn 

Edit: The only other jersey featured is Gary's and he doesn't have a number next to his. Willing to bet someone messed up and this is a 'leak' lol. 
Can't find the rookie numbers anywhere else

Edited by festiveonion

By coincidence I've just finished watching the Ohio State game before I came into this thread and I have a less positive take. He made a few really nice plays but I did not like how Maryland employed him in this game. He did alot of work close to the line of scrimmage instead of patrolling the back end of the defence. He was behaving more as a SS than a FS. Not only that he took bad angles a few times, most notably on McLaurin's long touchdown. If he was positioned like a FS he would've met McLaurin at his catch point and batted the ball away but instead he was standing in front of the line of scrimmage and even his speed could not save him. I think he would be much more effective with the play in front of him so that he can read and react and close down on any deep passes, that's the best way to utilise his speed and ball skills. 

26 minutes ago, Chili said:

By coincidence I've just finished watching the Ohio State game before I came into this thread and I have a less positive take. He made a few really nice plays but I did not like how Maryland employed him in this game. He did alot of work close to the line of scrimmage instead of patrolling the back end of the defence. He was behaving more as a SS than a FS. Not only that he took bad angles a few times, most notably on McLaurin's long touchdown. If he was positioned like a FS he would've met McLaurin at his catch point and batted the ball away but instead he was standing in front of the line of scrimmage and even his speed could not save him. I think he would be much more effective with the play in front of him so that he can read and react and close down on any deep passes, that's the best way to utilise his speed and ball skills. 

Based off the Amos signing and the Savage trade-up draft pick, you'd have to assume that using him as primarily a single high S is exactly how we intend to use him. 

Love this pick. He was my top Safety for the draft, followed closely by Thornhill because of their cover skills. Worth nothing that Savage is young still - 21. And Thornhill is 24. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

Based off the Amos signing and the Savage trade-up draft pick, you'd have to assume that using him as primarily a single high S is exactly how we intend to use him. 

Love this pick. He was my top Safety for the draft, followed closely by Thornhill because of their cover skills. Worth nothing that Savage is young still - 21. And Thornhill is 24. 

this is great info - hadn't realized the age discrepancy.

Makes me like this pick even more.

I just tried to order his Maryland jersey but am having issues w/ the credit card processing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blankman0021 said:

Do you have any games youd recommend if I wanted to watch some high safety play? The couple Iv'e watched hes been close to the los. Thanks

1 hour ago, Kenrik said:

Do you have any games youd recommend if I wanted to watch some high safety play? The couple Iv'e watched hes been close to the los. Thanks

Savage actually took the bulk of his snaps last year as a slot corner. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Savage actually took the bulk of his snaps last year as a slot corner. 

The alleys are far more important to defend in college than the deep half. Hard to play a truly pro style defense when you rarely see a pro style offense. It's why scouting deals with so much of projecting skillsets. While most NFL offenses revolve around your QB running a system, college is much more getting playmakers the ball in space. Savage was Maryland's alley defender protecting against screens, bubbles, jet sweeps and read option. Look at the opponents Savage saw, besides Haskins there wasn't an NFL starter in the bunch, no reason to waste him playing 1 high.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Chili said:

Watching the vids there I agree he does seem to see it well I front of him. When had was set back and could diagnose and attack no problem there. Those plays were evident.

He was also very good in run support. Very willing to get into the trench and try to make a tackle.  

Seemed to me that he had to do allot which may  have lead to some of the bad plays. Way to much on his plate and trying to do to much. Great cut up though some real good stuff there.