2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

11 minutes ago, Macc_Aviv said:

Long video so by no means do I expect you to watch it, but he alludes a couple times in this video to why he felt having bigger guys on the edge is important to keep guys from getting to the perimeter and creating a different look than most offensive lines are built to match up with. I don't doubt Pettine could have made Burns work, but it seems to me he wanted a certain type of guy, and Gute went and got him a few versions of that prototype. 

Hi!

7 minutes ago, Macc_Aviv said:

Long video so by no means do I expect you to watch it, but he alludes a couple times in this video to why he felt having bigger guys on the edge is important to keep guys from getting to the perimeter and creating a different look than most offensive lines are built to match up with. I don't doubt Pettine could have made Burns work, but it seems to me he wanted a certain type of guy, and Gute went and got him a few versions of that prototype. 

Oh for sure, I understand why they went and got the FA they did. In these packages hes alluding to they could play a Fadol type out there for those run downs. But with using the 5 DL someone has to line up over the TE, this is where you put that SAM type backer.  Dont think Burns is unable to hold a point, I'm sure they felt the depth was a little better there having Fackrell behind Preston and basically no natural fit behind Zad but I think the options were definitely open and they got the guy they preferred. I just dont buy that Burns wouldnt of fit in the scheme.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I seemed to be the only one who was interested in Clelin Ferrel, though.  Lots of people wrote him off for some reason and he looked good for the Raiders on Monday night. 

You weren't the only one to like Clelin Ferrell a lot. I wore out Leader's ear, saying how much I wanted him. Most people here seemed to think #12 was a bit early for him, but no-one expected him to go at #4. He wasn't the fastest or strongest, but he was a great player.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

You weren't the only one to like Clelin Ferrell a lot. I wore out Leader's ear, saying how much I wanted him. Most people here seemed to think #12 was a bit early for him, but no-one expected him to go at #4. He wasn't the fastest or strongest, but he was a great player.

This is true! :)

1 hour ago, Macc_Aviv said:

You need a better story than that. Try again. 

What's your record prediction this year given the defensive improvement?

And the offense still sucking? Haha

Man IDK. I think I said I would take the over on 9 wins for sure. But if you told me 10 I'd have to think about it. That was before Chicago.

10 or 11. But if that defense is real and the offense wakes up? 13 sure seems possible.. I'm pretty confident we won't implode. Which I wasn't sure of before Chicago. What you thinking?

9 hours ago, Norm said:

And the offense still sucking? Haha

Man IDK. I think I said I would take the over on 9 wins for sure. But if you told me 10 I'd have to think about it. That was before Chicago.

10 or 11. But if that defense is real and the offense wakes up? 13 sure seems possible.. I'm pretty confident we won't implode. Which I wasn't sure of before Chicago. What you thinking?

I'm undecided on wins at this point. Let's see if the offense can get rolling over the next few weeks. If not, we have a damn tough division this year and it'll just depend on how far the defense can carry us. 

My biggest fear is that Pettine changes his mind and decides he wants to be a head coach next year again. If MLF is a dud it would sure suck to lose Pettine (although I'm hoping MLF is legit). 

Edited by Macc_Aviv

On 9/13/2019 at 3:56 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Based purely on his tape with Clemson, 12 was a fairly safe place to project him.  But then he tested poorly, and his stock "dropped".  But if you're a believer in athletic tools, you weren't going to be a big fan of Ferrell.

You know?  I"m thrilled with 3-0.  As in I never saw it coming.

Couple of things, though.

This start and this play by the defense reinforces to me that the GB brass moved too slowly on a few things.

I think that the Smiths/Amos signings shows that free agency can work.  Can't help but wonder how better off the franchise would have been if Ted were more active.  And if Mac had moved on from Capers sooner.

Can't help that those things run through my head.

But still....those things take away nothing from this year and what the team is doing.  That defense is amazing to watch.  It's nice to see what happens when you draft the right corners, get the safety position right and then bring in some veteran EDGE guys.

It's been real.  And it's been fun.  It's been real fun!

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

I think that the Smiths/Amos signings shows that free agency can work.  Can't help but wonder how better off the franchise would have been if Ted were more active.  And if Mac had moved on from Capers sooner.

The Smiths are a huge anomaly.  Free agent pass rushers do NOT do this well.  Ever.  EVER. 

Look through all the big name free agent pass rusher signings and you'll see that this level of success is unprecedented since Reggie White. 

Preston Smith has already passed last season's sack total. 
Z. Smith has 3 sacks already. 

That kind of success does.  Not.  Happen. 

Free agency is extremely dangerous.  For every Preston Smith and Z. Smith, there are 100 Olivier Vernons. 

P. and Z. Smith are hungry for wins, not money.  You can see that in the way they play. 

This offseason, our only free agents should be receivers and IOL.  And cheap ones at that.